99 Golf Variant 5spd TDI

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
I think I found my TDI, at least for now. She’s not perfect but for just under $600 how can you go wrong?

Last edited:

jwm470

TDI
01 Jetta, 02 Jetta, 03 Golf, 02 Beetle, 03 Wagon
Our 01 Jetta has crank up windows and when someone in their 20’s and 30’s see them, their response is, “that’s so cool”.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Our 01 Jetta has crank up windows and when someone in their 20’s and 30’s see them, their response is, “that’s so cool”.
Hahaha that’s hilarious! They have probably never heard “roll your window up”! Boy that brings back some memories Personally I love them and am so glad to have found a model with “crank up” windows. Less electrical gadgets, less chance of something going wrong, is the way I look at it! Lol

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's a nice car. Not a lot of kms, either.

My '02 Wagon has crank windows. I don't think I've seen another Jetta Wagon with those. But I love them. And they've been completely trouble free. Manual mirrors, too.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I had no idea this was a real version of the Golf... until I looked it up. Interesting.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Jettas (Boras) were far less popular in Europe than in North America. Europeans are much more likely to buy a small hatchback or wagon than a sedan. So the Golf Wagon was a natural there.

I first saw Golf Wagons on a trip to Germany in '02. At the time I was considering buying a Subaru WRX, but when I saw the Golf, I thought that was cool and ordered a Jetta Wagon (IBW) when I returned.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Nice find, even overseas. Enjoy the options you have while there.
Sooo many options here and very cheap as they are banning diesels completely here in the not too far future. Plus the older the diesel the harsher the environmental restrictions are. Honestly I just want to round up a couple and park them while I’m here then ship em back with me when I leave. BMW tdi wagons are cheap too. Anyone heard of the bmw 5 series 525d e39 wagon? Under 1k euro for a 97 version with 220k kms, currently in Italy. Italy = less rust.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If someone is going to bring a car in for personal use I think it needs to be at least 25 years old. My pipedream is to find a diesel T4 Westfalia in excellent condition. They are crazy money here.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
If someone is going to bring a car in for personal use I think it needs to be at least 25 years old. My pipedream is to find a diesel T4 Westfalia in excellent condition. They are crazy money here.
That’s correct, 25 years. I should be here 3-5 years. Also looking at the mk 3 golf variants and Passat Variants/Wagons. I found a very nice 98 L35 van also, basically the same as a Benz sprinter van. I’ll keep an eye out for a Westfalia. I saw one yesterday I think, but it wasn’t in great condition from what I recall. A bit of rust. Germany gets A LOT of rain so that’s the toughest task here is finding rigs without a bunch of rust.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Not to hijack, but check this thread out for some smiles

You can make your own Golf Variant (wagon) if you have a decent junkyard

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I seriously considered a Golf swap years ago, in part because the Golf has better headlights than the Jetta. Never did it, and I've grown fond of the Jetta nose. I do like the Jetta nose on a 2-door Golf, however.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I love the features you can get on German cars there that are only sold as "luxury" cars here. Manual transmissions, cloth seats, no sunroof, and, of course, diesels. If I can't have a Westfalia I'd also be really interested in a E46 320d wagon. That car has the (relative) simplicity of the ALH Jetta Wagon but with front engine/rear drive dynamics.

I've also always thought it would be nice to get a manual transmission, normally aspirated 2 liter W124 Mercedes. That's the classic taxi setup in Germany. It's amazing how fast drivers can make that very low power car move.

Last edited:

sangretdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Golf
wow! where do you find a rare golf/wagon TDI like that , with low miles, paint in that amazing condition, for $600???

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Dang! That's nice looking, give me the variant, better headlights over the Jetta setup. Get it all fixed up and bring it back when she hits 25yrs old.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
When you guys say the Golf has better headlights.
Do you mean they look better in your opinion,..
or they light the road better?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
When you guys say the Golf has better headlights.
Do you mean they look better in your opinion,..
or they light the road better?
The actual headlights throw better light.
When I first got my Golf, I was very impressed with the cutoff of the stock halogen bulbs and how it lit the road. It's a good reflector and housing design.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Do you know anything about the VW SDIs? They have a bunch of those here also. I’d never even heard of them until now. What do you think of the BMW? Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about BMWs.

I love the features you can get on German cars there that are only sold as "luxury" cars here. Manual transmissions, cloth seats, no sunroof, and, of course, diesels. If I can't have a Westfalia I'd also be really interested in a E46 320d wagon. That car has the (relative) simplicity of the ALH Jetta Wagon but with front engine/rear drive dynamics.

I've also always thought it would be nice to get a manual transmission, normally aspirated 2 liter W124 Mercedes. That's the classic taxi setup in Germany. It's amazing how fast drivers can make that very low power car move.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
It’s 45 mins south of where I am now. Technically it’s 400 euro, which equals about $488 =). I’m Going to go look at it Monday. The only drawback is, there’s no guarantee I will be over here long enough to bring it back since it’s a 99.

wow! where do you find a rare golf/wagon TDI like that , with low miles, paint in that amazing condition, for $600???

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Sell it to someone in Canada for a few years; we can import any "vintage" automobile that's at least 15yrs. old. :)

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Not a bad idea. Maybe there’s someone in Canada that wants to work something out. =)

Sell it to someone in Canada for a few years; we can import any "vintage" automobile that's at least 15yrs. old. :)