99 Eurovan T4 TDI conversion

caddywompus

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Eurovan 1.9 TDI AHU 5-spd syncro
This rig is a '99 EVC that showed up a few weeks ago for one of our TDI conversions. We've done a couple '93 EVs but this is the first '99 we've tackled. We are in the process of converting it with a built AHU engine and an EWB 02B 5-spd manual trans from europe.

Modding AHU engine to ABL protocol. Drilling out dipstick hole:

R side engine bracket bolt holes being drilled/tapped to 10m x 1.50.

R side T4 4-cyl engine bracket fitted:

PD150 pistons and Rosten rods:

Installed in AHU block:

T4 oil pump and oil pan baffle installed:

T4 oil pan installed, short block complete:

rcowan

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Wagon TDI, 1999 Eurovan Weekender TDI
I'll be watching this closely! A Tdi powered, manual trans T4 is pretty close to perfection! Are you going to have this long enough to report mileage once it is finished?

caddywompus

TDI
Wiring is fairly straight forward using a 1Z harness, since it's basically the same VAG platform electronically as first generation TDIs. This means it isn't exactly plug-n-play, but close. The two things that are a little more complicated are integrating & wiring the TDI/VR6 cluster, and installling the pedal potentiometer. But it's a lot easier than a Vanagon for sure.

For future reference, we maintain a shop blog where we have alot more pics as well as an archive of past TDI conversions, Eurovan and Vanagon alike: http://www.greaseworks.blogspot.com/

Here are a few more pics of this conversion:

Clutch pedal assembly install.

Pedal potentiometer install (top of pedal assembly).

More to come....

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Looks good, It's good to see that your doing the build right with the strong internals. It should be an awesome ride when finished. About two months ago I was able to do some work on a 2.5L TDI hightop, it was the shorter wheelbase, but was sure a nice ride. I think if I were to start another tdi swap it would be similar to yours. It should be a lot quieter than a TDI Vanagon at highway speeds which is very appealing.

Good work.
Jon

caddywompus

TDI
AHU eng installation

The T4 syncro front clip is one I bought hoping to find a customer who wants a dreamy T4. I don't plan on installing that in my EV--it'd be fun for bragging rights, but that only goes so far: I would hate the MPG penalty with the syncro and 5-cyl, and be troubled by the 5-cyl unresponsiveness in the low RPMs. I'm just really happy with my 130 whp AHU T4 weekender what can I say?

Here are some pics of the final eng prep and install into the '99 EVC, with more details/pics here:

AHU flywheel installed.

Sachs G60 press. plate and clutch disc installed.

R side engine bracket/mount. Eng waiting to be timed.

EWB trans mated and eng timed. Rolled into position on elevated dolly.

L side eng/trans showing L mount/bracket.

R side eng w/mount & bracket on upper L of pic

Van being lowered onto engine.

Mounts line up and are bolted to frame. Engine hanging on its own now.

View from R side eng compartment.

Lots more stuff to connect and button up, but we're getting really close!!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Wow! Nice work!

Like that custom made dolly for maneuvering the engine in place! That sort of ingenuous work is, well, naturally part of the project!

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
What transmission/shift assembly bits are you using for this?

caddywompus

TDI
Thanks AndyBs! We are using an EWB 5spd trans imported from Germany, along with the later style L tranny mount and the pendulum lwr/rear trans. mount. For tranny bits we're using early T4 02B 5-spd shifter rods/lever box, etc., available domestically.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Awesome, thanks.

Looking good. I've owned both a 91 Syncro and currently a nice T-Red 2003 T4, love the van but TDI and a third pedal really has always been a huge craving for me. Considered a half-cut 5cyl but this route probably makes a whole lot more sense and I know I can end up with a tune that would keep OBDII emissions scanners happy.

Good luck with finishing it up, please post more on it.

Thanks.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
What axles are you using to mate with that EWB trans for the T4?
do you have the part numbers for the engine & tranny mounts to hang the 4 cylinder motor in the eurovan? is there a lower pendulum styl mount as well?

blackdogvan

TDI
Mtdi Vanagon
This could actually make eurovan's cool!! Very nice to see this documented. Are there any tranny options that wouldn't have to me brought over from way over there? VR trans?

I was under the impression the injector angle & therefore the combustion chamber placement in the piston on the PD's vs. AHU were different enough to make the pistons non-interchangeable? Or is it just their nozzles that can't swap.

Last edited:

caddywompus

TDI
R side A/T drive axle bolts up to the M/T, L side A/T axle is 10mm shorter than what it needs to be. I have an early T4 L M/T axle coming tomorrow AM and will let you know if it fits. As for mounts, all the eng/trans supporting brackets and mounts we used are the stock ones for the A/T VR6 (including lwr trans pendulum mount), with the exception of the R side engine bracket. I don't have this P/N handy at the moment but trust me, I searched the continent here in NA and it doesn't exist here as VW never sold a 4-cyl diesel T4 in NA. We import this part from our euro parts supplier where they are still available new from VW, and usually we have several on the shelf.

Last edited:

caddywompus

TDI
There is the option to use the domestically available 02B transmissions, though the R&Ps are not ideal for a TDI Eurovan. We have chased down the elusive 4.23 R&P from Europe that was found on the EWB and other late 02B transmissions found mated to 5-cyl TDIs there. This R&P installed into a domestic 02B transmission would be nearly ideal for gearing a TDI Eurovan with only minor tweaks necessary (5th gear). We are in the process of working with Peloquin to develop a LSD for the 02B trans and it looks like we should have that in production by the summer if all goes well. A TDI Eurovan with a LSD trans will make even recalcatrint EV owners lovers.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
what car(s) is(are) the 02B available in? is it a 5 or 6 speed?

I have an 03 VR6/01P GLS Eurovan that would be PERFECT with a TDI/5 speed in it...

Last edited:

VW-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'95 Winnebago Rialta TDI/5-speed conversion, '93 Eurovan Weekender 2.5TDI/5-speed conversion
5-speed transmissions for T4 TDI

I done a lot of research for last half year or so... with Eurovan TDI project in my mind... 02B - was only available 5-speed, not 6-speed. So as far as I know, 02B transmission (type of the transmission) was installed in 92-95 Eurovan (in Canada and US), 1992-2002 in T4 Transporter/Caravelle (in Europe). In US models Eurovan 02B transmission only come with code CHP - and this is short geared transmission and will need to modify it to be perfect geared for diesel, othervize your engine will rev high at freeway speeds...
European T4 Transporter was available with a lot different geared transmissions (probably 20-25 different transmission codes), but also even if it was installed in diesel T4 - most of them they are not geared as good as we want (will be high RPM's on cruising speeds) because they was made to work with diesel and some with turbodiesel, not for TDI. Best options if import transmission from Europe is to get transmission that was installed in 1998-2000 T4 2.5TDI, with codes: DUH, DUJ, EWA and EWB. They are perfectly geared for TDI, actually DUH/EWA will be perfect for tuned 1.9TDI and DUJ/EWB will be perfect for hawy tuned/modified (like stage 4-5) 1.9TDI. I was looking for long time to buy and ship any of this transmissions from Europe, but so far NO LUCK. Firstable whey are highly priced outhere (germans/brittans also installing this transmissions in older T4's), and second most important - no one willing to ship transmission to USA, (believe me). If you find one and with shipping you end-up around $2000 - you are get lucky.
There is an other option, and so far I think its cheaper. Order 4.23 R&P (ring and pinion) for 02B and install it in US gas Eurovan transmission (code CHP), it will lower total RPM's in all gears by 8.1%, and it will be not bad. But I never replace R&P in my life and I think its not very easy because will need teardown transmission completely, and will need special tools (not sure). In additional to installed taller R&P possible there is an option to swap in slightly taller 5th gear (5th gear is the same style in 02A). With mine calculations - if swap 4.23 R&P in CHP and 3rd and 4th gears from CTN (B4/MK3 TDI) and custom 5th gear .681 - it will be almost identical transmission to DUJ/EWB. But to do that job will need some skills with transmissions, or sent it to transmission rebuilders (that is not cheap)...
Justin (caddywompus), correct me please if I am wrong in any of the info above.
Slavik.

So
what car(s) is(are) the 02B available in? is it a 5 or 6 speed?

I have an 03 VR6/01P GLS Eurovan that would be PERFECT with a TDI/5 speed in it...

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
so the 02B is the 5 speed transmission in the 92-95 Eurovan 5 cyl gasoline engine in the NA market.

needs a 4.23 ring & pinion and a taller 5th gear just like an o2J will take.

do the 4 cylinder and 5 cylinder share a transmission bolt pattern so they are easy to attach to each other? assuming the funky angle that the engine is mounted at in the eurovan is matched with the 02B trans

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Aaron, one concern with your van is the ESP: If you want to keep it you'll probably have to use a Mk4 engine computer.

-J

VW-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'95 Winnebago Rialta TDI/5-speed conversion, '93 Eurovan Weekender 2.5TDI/5-speed conversion
so the 02B is the 5 speed transmission in the 92-95 Eurovan 5 cyl gasoline engine in the NA market.

needs a 4.23 ring & pinion and a taller 5th gear just like an o2J will take.

do the 4 cylinder and 5 cylinder share a transmission bolt pattern so they are easy to attach to each other? assuming the funky angle that the engine is mounted at in the eurovan is matched with the 02B trans
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Aaron, one concern with your van is the ESP: If you want to keep it you'll probably have to use a Mk4 engine computer.

-J
Good thing I have about 2/3rds of an ALH floating around, and a 99.5 ECU on the shelf..

I might just start finding out how much this would cost to get put together.. then one long weekend suprise the wife.

and VW-TDI 02A and 02J both use the same 5th gearsets... many people on this board have been putting taller 5ths in both of these trannys for the last few years. so that shouldnt be an issue.

Last edited:

VW-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
It will be more complicated to wire-up ECU from MK4 in Eurovan but everything is possible...

Last edited:

caddywompus

TDI
We brought in a rebuilt EWB trans for this conversion, total cost w/freight around $1400:

It wasn't exactly easy but we found a few vendors familiar with shipping these to the US--but it also helps to have a wife from Germany :).

As for other tranny info, yes all the 02Bs come from the factory drilled out to accept both the 4-cyl and 5-cyl engines, so they mate up nicely to an AHU. The CHP was an the early EV 02B transmission (93) here in the US with a 4.61 R&P, and isn't ideal but will work for one of these conversions with a taller 5th (I have a .658 in mine--big jump from 4th!) as the stock 5th is .837. I don't have the ratios or tranny codes in front of me but the 95 EVC models had a different 02B trans with a slightly taller R&P, 4.51 IIRC which make for an overall nicer trans with the TDI.

All in all the CHP is a fairly close ratio trans., which makes it great for towing, but not great for much else. With the TALL .658 5th I have a great highway cruiser and routinely get 35mpg at 70mph, but around town it's not super fun to drive--I'm in 4th gear by 38mph.

Later on this year once I get the 4.23 R&P supply ironed out (I have one on order right now should be here real soon) I will be rebuilding my trans. with one of these along with a Peloquin LSD :), which we hope to have in available by this summer (under development right now), and with a shorter 5th it should be the bees knees like Slavik said.

Justin

Last edited:

caddywompus

TDI
We just today got the coveted 4.23 T4 R&P in from VW Europe:

This one is spoken for but we are taking advanced orders for them on our site: http://www.greaseworks.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=76&products_id=641

And today fired up this 99 EVC AHU conversion for the first (well, second ;-) time today. Hopefully we'll be driving it out of the shop tomorrow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td4p6r3bQNI&feature=player_embedded

Lots more pics and info of the whole project here:
http://www.greaseworks.blogspot.com/

caddywompus

TDI
Been a long long time since I've been on here. Raising kids, health issues, life changes, etc. took front and center for me over the last 5+ years. I'm just getting around to responding to the Peloquin LSD question from Rocco 8-yrs later and sadly no as far as I know they don't have one for the 02B trans. A bunch of years ago we were working with them on developing one, even sent in complete 02B trans for prototyping, but in the end their min qty / purchase price was out of our reach. Bummer though to let that product development slip by.... If anyone knows of a LSD for the 02B from another company please let us know.