99 beetle timing belt

Dakotasloan

TDI
99 beetle
I have replace my timing belt the only part I'm having problems with on geting it timed right is that the cam doesn't have any marks on it to show where it has to be to be timed, iv looked on internet to see if their was other marks but did not find nothing... any info would be helpful thanks

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I have replace my timing belt the only part I'm having problems with on geting it timed right is that the cam doesn't have any marks on it to show where it has to be to be timed, iv looked on internet to see if their was other marks but did not find nothing... any info would be helpful thanks
You should post your questions in the TDI 101 category or better yet post in the VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) category for more responses.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
The cam has to be locked with a locking device on the vacuum pump side, and the cam gear broken loose from the cam to set the timing belt correctly. You should not do the 'mark and pray' method, as it could cost a cylinder head, or worse.

Here's a guide. https://www.tdiclub.com/articles/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, best to read that guide cover-to-cover... if you're looking for timing marks on the cam there may be other things you're unaware of.

Specific jigs are required, and you'll need VCDS to dial in the timing.