'99 Audi A4Q/2.0TDI Conversion

Rexking414

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
It sounds like you were able to figure out those A/c, alternator wires, and clutch,light switch with those documents?

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Rexking414 said:
It sounds like you were able to figure out those A/c, alternator wires, and clutch,light switch with those documents?

The A/C wires - that's the climatronic tie-ins left to go. :) But yes, the info helped with that stuff and some other issues I was having. thanks Elliot.

I will probably start it for a test before finishing the rest of the wires.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I have been studying the MK4 Jetta and the A4Q cruise control wiring system for a few days now. I have finally concluded that this must be the set-up required:

ARL Pin Nomber to Audi A4Q Cruize Stalk Pin Number
121/14 - cruise control switch 4 and 6 (not 7, does not exist on audi stalk)
121/46 - cruise control switch 1 (1A4Q=5MK4 for same function on Audi stalk)
121/45 - cruise control switch 2
121/44 - cruise control switch 3
121/65 - brake pedal switch (MT) or jumpered to C86 (AT)
121/66 - clutch pedal switch (MT) pin 2 or jumpered to circuit 86 (AT)

switch pin #5 (A4Q) is a three position, similar to position #6 on MK4 stalk..used for AT only(?) not sure. It appears this is the one unused in my application.

finished the intercooler mounting bracket. Received and installed AEM Dryflow filter, received and did not install wrong EGT probe. :(

Tacked together the 3" turbo down pipe. I will get the finish welding done proffesionally, as my welding (and 1970 ARC welder) is not up to doing a good job at this. It will then get a high temp powder coat. I made a 2-1/4x3 cone expansion off the turbo by spliting 3" pipe x 2.5"lg into four wedges and reworking them.

I am having coolant leaking issues. The thermostat housing is not sealing. I have replaced the oring and it still drips. I am starting to think it must be damaged from the wreck it was in. I will have to pull it off again and check it over closely..probably buy a new one.

Thats it for now. Back to work.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
those reducers look really nice. next time I guess. It is difficult to find certain things in our small city and I came up with nothing locally last week. I really wanted to finish the down pipe yesterday soo...:eek: A little better planning on the down pipe would of helped. With that being said, it took about 1/2hr to make it, so it was not too bad, but it does not look as good.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Cruise wiring (assumes using Jetta/Bora switch for those cars without cruise control switches on the steering wheel):

Audi has clutch pedal switch wired to Audi stalk 1
Bora has clutch pedal switch wired to ECM 121/66, + stalk 5 to 121/46

Audi stalk 2 wired to CC unit
Bora stalk 2 wired to ECM 121/45

Audi stalk 3 wired to CC unit
Bora stalk 3 wired to 121/44

Audi stalk 4 wired to CC unit
Bora stalk 7 wired to 121/14

Audi stalk 5 wired to fuse 31
Bora stalk 6 wired to fuse 5 (switched power)

Audi stalk 6 wired to brake switch 2
Bora stalk 4 wired to 121/14

Bora stalk 1 unused.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
MOGolf said:
Audi stalk 5 wired to fuse 31
Bora stalk 6 wired to fuse 5 (switched power)
OK, thanks Mo. Looks like I missed #5 to switched power...anouther Circuit 86 application? :) I will take a look at the diagram again to make sure I understand. Looks like we match up on the other pins, so thats good to know.

I was just trying to get a read on VAGCOM. I had no communication, so decided to take a break for a bit. I will check power at pin 1, 2, 37 & 88 and ground at 4 & 5 and kline connection. Otherwise ECU did engage my Circuit 86 relay and the fuel pump relay (both energized by pin 18 on ECU), so its a good sign I think.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I rechecked the main power and grounds to ECU. It all checked out with voltage and continuity. measured 0.4 ohms from pin 16 at ECU (Kline) to pin7on OBD connector, so that is good too. I am now a bit concerned. I will hook up another 80 pin connector to the ECU with just the primary voltage and grounds and k-line to see if I get anything.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
WOW! What a nice job...

I was reading your SWAP 'cause there is a BHW engined TDI for sale in the forum, and was interested in knowing more about the oil pump issues of the BHW before going any more in the thought of the purchase.

I'm wondering about the MOD. to the balance and oil pump drive you did...

More power to you on this finish of the 2.0L TDI implant :D

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
bikeprof said:
I was interested in knowing more about the oil pump issues of the BHW before going any more in the thought of the purchase.

I'm wondering about the MOD. to the balance and oil pump drive you did...

More power to you on this finish of the 2.0L TDI implant :D
thanks,

were you wondering if the engine is going to shake my car to pieces?:p LOL just kidding. I hope. I am looking forward to seeing how that part works out too. I will post on the B5.5 BS threads about my results.

Rexking414

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
It should work just fine, The only use the the BS module is to minimize vibration when the Auto tranny is engaged, The BGW is a manual transmission so it doesn't need this. Essentially the the same setup.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I bench tested the ECU tonight. It checked out good. :D

You can see the ECU on the right sie of the pic. I have jumpers on pins 1& 2 & 37 to +12V, and pins 4 & 5 to ground, pin 16 jumpered to pin 7 on OBD connector. It turned on and communicated with VAG. I then repeated this with the 40 pin plug and the VAG communicated once again.

So the next step will be to test the 80 pin side in groups of 10 to narrow down fault as quickly as possable.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Decided to purchase a Calex Heater yesterday. It was a little pricy but I liked the compact size of it. 550watts in such a tiny package is amazing.

Tonight I installed this heater, along with a new thermostat housing which finally fixed the weeping problem I was having at the housing. I fully filled the cooling system and found two more leaks. :mad: There is a rubber plug in the top left of the below photo. There are some pin holes in it and coolant is dribbling out. I also have a heater hose connection that is not working out so good. :rolleyes:

Finally got the aftermarket EGT probe installed. I did not need the factory EGT (and it did not work with the gauge). I decided to utilize the same hole. I removed the probe from the threaded fitting. I then took this threaded fitting and drilled it out to 23/64" and tapped 1/8"NPT. This drill bit size is a bit over size because I wanted to embed the probe as far in as possable.

Finished mounting the intercooler set-up, minus the coolant loop. So this weekend I will be back at the wiring and feel fairly confident in a start. :D Oh yeah, the company that welded up my down pipe made such a mess that I decided it was a waste of time for expensive paint. :mad: I will now just wrap it.

Last edited:

Mark_K

TDI
03 Jetta TDI Wagon
What timing - been looking for a new motor for my wifes B5, A4 Q and I find this thread! We love our 03 Jetta Wagon TDI, so diesel for the A4 would make a great car even better. Thanks for the write up!

Couple of questions though - knowing what you know now about the BHW oil pump shaft, would you still choose the same motor?

I'm fine with the mechanical work involved, but the harness hacking doesn't look fun. Would importing say, a 2.5 TDI V6, appropriate ECU and engine harness be easier?

Just looking for a bit more "plug n' play" options - if possible.

Thanks again for documenting this build - watching intently!

Mark K.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Mark_K said:
What timing - been looking for a new motor for my wifes B5, A4 Q and I find this thread! We love our 03 Jetta Wagon TDI, so diesel for the A4 would make a great car even better. Thanks for the write up!

Couple of questions though - knowing what you know now about the BHW oil pump shaft, would you still choose the same motor?

I'm fine with the mechanical work involved, but the harness hacking doesn't look fun. Would importing say, a 2.5 TDI V6, appropriate ECU and engine harness be easier?

Just looking for a bit more "plug n' play" options - if possible.

Thanks again for documenting this build - watching intently!

Mark K.
Mark,

I replied to your email but it got kicked back... Pm me

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Mark_K said:
yes, if I got the same deal again. It was an engine with the right configuration, right potential and the right price. With the mods I made I will not have any chain or pump shaft problems. I originally bought it to strip and use as a good solid short block for a VE pump style set-up. VWMikel then hooked me up with an EDC15P ECU with a custom tune and I went from there. If I was to do it again, I might get a half cut PD150/Audi A4 with 5 or 6 speed. Scott could import you a half cut with a PD130, or 150 and it would be a much easier project. I am not sure what advantage there is going to the V6, as it's easy to tune the 4cyl engines (to same performance levels), easy to work on, and all parts are readily available in North America. (except ECU). I think the V6 is a lot more money too. If your not looking for 200+hp, the AFN is a good choice too. The AFN will cost you a bit less than the PD130/150 IIRC. If you go with the 6 speed you will need to change the rear diff and axles too.
I was recently asked to sell my car to somebody locally. Once I lock down a value on it I will consider there offer or I may build them a similar or different version. That will probably take place in the next 6 months. An AFN 1/2cut looks very attractive to me for the next one.:)

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
OK boys (and gals) BHW started this morning. :D It turned out that I did not have a wiring problem. :eek: I just kept unpluging a certain relay when I was testing with the ECU plugged in (so my fuel pump would not be running). And plugging it in when it was testing just the voltage at the pins (no ECU). dahh. :rolleyes:
Anyways, I had a successful VAG check this morning. It was only about +4C this morning and I did not have the glow plug harness built yet, so I ran a booster cable to jumper to the power wire I ran. I then cranked it over a bit..but the battery was low from sitting and testing, so I stopped and put the start charger on and cranked. IT THEN STARTED ON THE SECOND TRY!!!! yahoo!!!:D :D Checked the codes and it all looked pretty good. EGR & Intake Flap, fuel pump relay & coolant fan codes.

I video recorded the event, as requested. I have three files, but they are really big (250MB, 56MB & 52MB respectivley). If anybody has some suggestions on editing let me know. Then I can post them.

The vibration does not seem like any big deal to me, so I think the lobectomy is a success. I placed a cup of water on the engine while it was running to help show what the vibration level is like.

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Congratulations! :)

Mark_K

TDI
03 Jetta TDI Wagon
Congrats!

Well, I'm convinced - just have to sell the idea to the wife now! :rolleyes:

TDIsyncro said:
yes, if I got the same deal again. It was an engine with the right configuration, right potential and the right price. With the mods I made I will not have any chain or pump shaft problems.
Ah - that's cool. Doing the chain or pump shaft mods wouldn't concern me then - which would only leave the wiring harness hacking to fret over.

TDIsyncro said:
If I was to do it again, I might get a half cut PD150/Audi A4....
What do you mean by "half cut"?

TDIsyncro said:
Scott could import you a half cut with a PD130, or 150 and it would be a much easier project.
Had a nice chat with Scott and he's poking around for what's available. Honestly, while the PD130/150 would be the easier swap - there's something about having a DOHC diesel with a 4 valve head that's just cool! Unfortunately, the BHW's I've found are about a grand more than a PD130.

TDIsyncro said:
I am not sure what advantage there is going to the V6, as it's easy to tune the 4cyl engines (to same performance levels), easy to work on, and all parts are readily available in North America.
Hehe - the draw of the V6 is really about smoothness. I just took temporary ownership of a friend's B5, V6, A4 while he's out of the country and it made me realize just how pleasant a good V6 is!

Your points on the 4 banger are really spot on though - plus, I don't have to get V6 radiator core and exhaust bits since mine is a 1.8t. Speaking of - I'm assuming I will be able to use my 1.8t exhaust, minus the cat?

TDIsyncro said:
If your not looking for 200+hp, the AFN is a good choice too. The AFN will cost you a bit less than the PD130/150 IIRC. If you go with the 6 speed you will need to change the rear diff and axles too.
I'm not looking for 200+ hp, but I'd like to be at least on par with the stock 1.8t, performance wise. PD130 would probably do right out of the box and performance mods aren't in the budget for now.

As for tranny choice, a 6 speed would be nice - but the need to change the rear end puts it out of the budget. Hoping to get a TDI 5 speed though.

Anyway - I'll need to start my own build thread! :) Very glad to see you've gotten yours up and running! Keep us posted!

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
thanks guys. :)

Mo..thanks for the help.

Mark,

The BHW is a 8V. I was chatting with a guy in BC a couple weeks ago that has a BKD 4 sale. That is a 16V cross flow. Not sure how much he wanted for it.
Half cut is like the front half of the car..windshield and dash forward. Give you the harness, cluster, ECU, engine, tranny, rad, rad support and all the other misc stuff.

Yes you can use your 1.8T exhaust, just have to rework the location and flange for the turbo connection a little bit.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
vwmikel said:
How much exhaust do you have on there? That thing sounds pretty mean :D
:D It has a 3" down pipe that ends under the cab. I will have full 3" mandrel bent, with resonator and 4" tip by mid week. But yeah it sounds way meaner than my syncro AHU did with a down pipe. It's hard to appreciate from the sound clip how much deeper the exhaust note is. I am just waiting for a silly little plug on the cooling system before I can test drive it. Otherwise I have it mostly buttoned up now.

Mark_K

TDI
03 Jetta TDI Wagon
TDIsyncro said:
The BHW is a 8V
Ack! Getting my "engine-codes-goes-with-which-cars" mixed up.

Actually, I've been searching for a complete listing of TDI engines that include engine code, sizes and power outputs. Always finding one combination or another but nothing comprehensive. Anyone have a link to such a thing?

TDIsyncro said:
Look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Heh - ya, me too! :rolleyes:

Thanks,

MK

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Thanks for the comments guys.
I was having some sputtering problems on my first test drive so I parked it and did a bit of research. Realized I wired some sensors wrong.
I had to redo on the MAF, N75 and Cam Position sensor. That is now done. Soo....I took it out for a test drive first time today. I have sever lag between idle and 2000 RPM, then a slow build up to 2800RPM then OMG! all hell and fury breaketh free. :eek: :eek: :eek: It's like driving my RM250 motocross when the power band kicks in..except in a car! I have not made it off my gravel road to the pavement yet, but half throttle yielded insane out- of-control wheel spin front and back though the first 3 gears. :D My speedo was not working today, but when I get it going I should be able to post some 0-60 and 1/4 miles times using VAG. I will need the tunning worked on a bit to try and eliminate the lag issue and have a softer transition at 2800RPM cause I don't think I could handle that in traffic. :eek:

Recoded the Instrument Cluster so that it would display the correct RPM from the new ECU signal.

Last edited:

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
That tune was kind of designed for the original turbo....we'll have to massage the N75 values to smooth that out. :D