99.5 Jetta No Start, No Crank, No FOB...HELP!

JJUelmen

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG
I have a post in TDI 101, but havent gotten any opinions as of yet. Only posting here in hopes that more people check this more then TDI 101. Below is my post:

This weekend I went to get a few things out of the car and the FOB didnt work. I figured it must be the battery and replaced it....didnt do it. Furthere when I go to start it, it doesnt even crank. The little red light on the driver door lock (that normally blinks when locked) does not blink anymore when the door is locked manually (FOB still not working). Glow plug light comes on so it's not relay 109. The TDIFAQ sheet listed ignition switch and then security system fault as the next two possible culprits. I would assume it is the security system fault since the FOB doesnt work and the light no longer blinks.

This may be completely unrelated, but the fuse for the dome light was blown when I checked all the fuses.

Suggestions and help would be much appreciated with the holiday season coming up as I will need to do a lot of traveling.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
you might try disconnecting the battery in order to reset the computer. I would check the battery state of charge and check the main fuses and relays on top of the battery. Is there any history? was the car being driven daily, etc? any recent repairs?

JJUelmen

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG
car is driven daily (maybe every other day depending on class schedule). took the battery cable off one night before bed and put on the next morning...no help. the only recent repair was a new battery about a month ago other than that, just the standard oil changes. previous to this it's been running great and have had no problems.

JJUelmen

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG
put a meter on it, battery is good. lights come on, radio comes on. when door is locked light does not blink and the FOBs dont work. the acc position works as normal, but nothing happens when you go to start position.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Haven't seen it on my VW yet, but my Audi alarm messes with starting if the battery was disconnected or run low. I have to set the alarm once, then disarm it and then it will start. Cost me a tow once when the battery was on it's way out - wouldn't jump start.
Could you have a door/hood/trunk switch open/bad that is keeping the alarm from arming (would explain the non-blinking door light)? If it can't arm, it can't disarm (my open hood - jump starting - prevented the alarm from arming)

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
When you take the battery cable off (+ side), you need to touch it to the negative side for a few seconds (one mississippi, two mississippi, three...).

Replace the fuse. The alarm module may have gone bye bye. I seem to remember a thread long past that talked about using a trouble lamp to trace the wiring through the little box, then if necessary shorting around it so you can at least get the starter to engage. But that was a long time ago...

JJUelmen

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG
i had the same issue when i had a jetta III. when i replaced the battery a month ago, it went in and i had no problems. started right up w/o any alarm issues. I checked all the doors, hatch, and hood. even in the past when one door was open the FOB would still work on the doors that were closed and then it would beep and lock once the last door was shut. i'm going to go try disconnecting the battery and touching the two cables to each other. stealership said that would reset the computer so we'll see what happs...will make another post.

JJUelmen

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG
replaced the dome light fuse and it started...FOB still doesnt work even though batteries are brand new, but it starts now. before we replaced teh dome light fuse with the headlight one (casue they were the same amperage) and still didnt start. so apparently the dome light and headlight fuses both have to be good to get it started. Thanks for all the suggestions

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
hmmmm....curiouser and curiouser Alice became....

this sounds more and more like a ground issue.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
It sounds like the CCM has died or has no power. On the 99.5s, like the late A3s, the Central Convince Computer's alarm function cuts out the starter: When the alarm is going off you can't crank the motor (you can start if you have just hit the panic button, though).

All these things being broken point to the CCM as they are all CCM functions. I would check the fuses (for a listing look at my post in the HOW TOS thread in TDI101)

-Jason

JJUelmen

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG
all other fuses are fine...this was the only one that was blown and, sure enough, started and runs like before once i replaced it. I am confused though that it just went out of now where...drove it during the cold spells of 0F and all summer and during pouring rains, and no problem till i went to leave on a 28 F day.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You may need to use VAG-COM to resynch the fob(s) with the CCM. Been there and did it for bitterberry's 99.5.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
On an 99.5 can't you add remotes to the system by rolling down the window, turning the ignition on and not starting, leaving all the doors shut, holding a 2nd key in the door lock to unlock until the alarm beeps, press the unlock button on all the remotes you want the system to remember, then holding the key in the door on unlock until it beeps again?

-J

joshattack

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf auto
Compu 85 thank you so much!
I smashed the door light yesterday on a 370 mile trip, half way there I stopped to use the bathroom and the car wont start. I tried everything I could think of, except the fuse, tried it today. Wallah... fired right up! sadly I had to tow so the god damn fuse cost me about $350...