99.5 Golf 2Dr.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
I think this will be sort of an odd thread, but curiosity has gotten the best of me, so I thought I'd post and see if there is something that I'm missing, or just a local quirk. I haven't been involved, very much, with my cars for over a year now, due to family issues, but for the past several months, in fact twice yesterday, I get asked if I would be willing to sell the Golf. The last one yesterday, actually flagged me down to ask me. The car is not anything special, that can be seen from the outside, except the VW roof rack, and black Recaro leather seats. Outside of that, nothing different than any other 2 Dr. Any thoughts?

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Does it have the TDI badge on the hatch?

I know it seems odd, but for some that could be enough, or it could simply be someone looking for an MKIV that's not visibly rusting??

ModdedMach

TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI 2dr
The reason people are so interested is that it is a 2 door TDI golf. They are ultra rare in the U.S.

I have one. I didnt realize how rare they were when i got it, i had an auto broker friend of mine specifically find me a TDI at auction (i was looking for a DD easy on fuel) and it had 123k miles and no rust other than the usual front fenders and rocker panel seems, nothing structural though. So I bought it-correction: STOLE it. That was 08/2015

Mine is a 99.5, 5 speed, manual doors, and windows, hubcaps on steelies, no ESP etc. Its literally a base model ALH TDI. The only other time ive actually seen another mk4 2dr TDI golf with my own eyes was when I was in Rome, Italy last year- and it was a white base model 5 speed, exactly like mine.

I think the reason people like them so much, other than the rarity, is that people who modify ALHs for the performance like the sportier and shorter/lighter body of the 2door, and people who hypermile for the best fuel economy like the reduced weight.

Im not sure itll get you much more money than say a wagon would since they are coveted, but if you did want to sell it im sure it would go quick.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
"Super Rare"? Not really. There aren't many MKIV TDIs period, but two-door Golfs are out there. I've owned two, and a local guy has three. All manual TDIs. They were made from '99-03, although the '03s are not as common. That was the only year when the TDI had power windows. And no 2-door TDI had a sunroof.

MKIV TDIs in general are in demand now. Any cars out there that aren't totally trashed will find a buyer. But prices are pretty low. A co-worker here recently bought a 4-door ALH Golf (manual) with 190K on it for $1,600. Needs a few things, nothing major, and it's not perfect cosmetically. But that's a pretty average price.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
"Super Rare"? Not really. There aren't many MKIV TDIs period, but two-door Golfs are out there. I've owned two, and a local guy has three. All manual TDIs. They were made from '99-03, although the '03s are not as common. That was the only year when the TDI had power windows. And no 2-door TDI had a sunroof.

MKIV TDIs in general are in demand now. Any cars out there that aren't totally trashed will find a buyer. But prices are pretty low. A co-worker here recently bought a 4-door ALH Golf (manual) with 190K on it for $1,600. Needs a few things, nothing major, and it's not perfect cosmetically. But that's a pretty average price.

Thank you, but the money I've put into it, far exceeds what I could ever get for it. 16" Raves, Leather Recaros, Nokians, Evolution skid plate, Hella EC lights, and that doesn't even start on the drive train and suspension. I think the only thing left stock, is the trans, because it's a MK3. Again , thank you for the info

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Same with my '99.5 4-door Golf. I went way overboard. the doors off, glass out repaint was the big deal. I think of the restoration as a hobby, not an investment.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
Same with my '99.5 4-door Golf. I went way overboard. the doors off, glass out repaint was the big deal. I think of the restoration as a hobby, not an investment.
I know exactly what you mean. You don't realize how much it adds up to, until you're into it. I also intend to get the car repainted, because the gel coat is peeling off, maybe this Summer. I'm not a fan for "change" in most things, including the car industry, because to me, "change" gives the illusion of progress