98 VW Jetta from not running to TDI VNT S7 Turbo, Injectors, and ECU Upgrade

Hrdc0r19

TDI
98 Jetta AHU, 06 Jetta BRM
So I bought a Jetta with an AHU with 220,000 miles on it for $800. Back story was it ran, needed an Injector Pump, third injector, and a battery. Without being able to start it, I trailered it four hours back to the shop and tossed a battery in it.

The battery is a little big and wont let me shift into first or third, but it got the car started and I put the scanner on it.

This seemed consistent with needing a third injector.

But when I hooked a known good injector up to the ECU via custom extender cables, I actually got another CEL.

If I hooked up my Jetta the way I got it, I only had one, if I hooked it up to the other Jetta I got two. I checked the wire coloring and swapped the wiring for the temp sensor and the third injector and bingo, no CEL.

I picked up a brand new battery and went out for a test drive. It braked, shifted, and steered straight, but it had almost no power. I have never driven a stock AHU, but it was SLOW.

I started replacing all the vacuum lines including the line in the ECU.

I did silicone hose in areas that I thought might get extra heat like near the turbo or in difficult to get to areas like the ECU. I plan on upgrading to the 3 Bar map and chipping it, so I'll have to get back in here again.

After a longer test drive I got a CEL. I'm really sure that I hooked everything back up after replacing the vacuum lines, but they had electrical connections swapped, so...
P.S. whos idea was it to use the same connection on everything???

After removing the old voltage regulator, I was surprised at how large the sprung connectors were on the new one! Mine was about to go out for sure.

I made myself a pulley holder and started on the Timing Belt.

Removing the TB idler, does it also run the oil pump?

I made a crank sprocket holder. I don't have an accurate maintenance record for this thing, so I bought the Uber TB kit including the sprocket, harmonic balancer, and metal water pump from Cascade German Parts. Their products seem really high quality.

Cleaned up and ready for the sprocket.

Installing the sprocket was not as big of a deal as people made it out to be. My torque wrench told me the final torque after 90 degrees and it was only 175LBS. I tightened it from the bottom of the car. I thought I got a better picture of the torque value.

I had a hell of a time getting the 6mm allens off the water pump pulley, all three were crazy tight and two were stripped by the previous wrench turner.

Out with the old, looks like it wasn't a cheap pump or gasket. I replaced it because I was this deep already.

My set up to hold the cam gear in time.

I didn't get any pictures of replacing the thermostat. You just have to to drop the power steering pump. I thought it would fix my temp gauge issue. It very rarely goes off cold and even then its only for a few minutes. It did not help with the gauge, so I am still looking for an answer to that.

I got a box in the mail! I'm waiting on the injectors, 3 Bar MAP, new N75, and chip to do it all at once. It should be only a few more days. That is as far as I have made it.

Hrdc0r19

TDI
Also I have a few questions for the experts out there:

I got a picture of the old turbo, does anyone recognize it? Does it run the wastegate on pressure or vacuum? I only ask because I'll be driving it a few more days and if I can have some more power I would like it.

On the subject of please help with what is in this picture:
Does anyone know what vehicle these seats came out of? They are pretty nice, but the driver seat needs some work or replacement.

Also what is this connector for? It looks like it's just a ground, but it should go somewhere.

This connection goes to the windshield washer nozzles. Is there such a thing as nozzle heaters? Is that factory or aftermarket?

And this one, its at the hood latch. Is there a hood open switch for a warning light? The hood is operated by cable, so I don't know why there is a connection here and the wire is cut.

Is this a fuse? What is it for?

What is this fuse between the battery and coolant reservoir and why is one missing?

This is the side of the IP, is it just a missing bolt? Any replacement will do?

This is on the transmission linkage, what connector goes here?

This is a close up shot of the connector.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
That should only have 1 fuse, not 2. This is the fan controll relay for AC and Cooling the coolant. If it's missing the clear cover, make sure you seal it somehow or replace the clear cover and make sure it stays shut. The car runs on boost. No vacuum
You cant just slap a vnt turbo into it. Not without a ton of work.
You had a limp mode for sure. You need vcds 100% with a vagcom cable. What codes did it have?
Nice write up.

Hrdc0r19

TDI
I don't have Vag Com, I have read about it a tiny bit... The code is in the pictures 0575 charge pressure difference. I'm in San Antonio, TX, does anyone live here have a Vag Com want to show me what I'm doing wrong?
As far as the VNT upgrade it looks like chip, N75, modify body mount, and install new exhaust. I bought all the parts, it's happening.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Cool. Sound like you have a good plan. What about clutch and what size nozzles? Vnts run on vacuum
The ahu runs on boost. You will need to change the actuator as well.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I recommend having the done and shipped to you ready to go. Kerma has a hot swap option. They need to be pop tested in a dual stage machine and tuned.
Any head work?
How much boost?
And again. You definatly are going to need a stage 2 clutch minimum

Hrdc0r19

TDI
I ordered the turbo, hot swap injectors, and chip from Kerma. I am going to let the clutch go as long as possible. As long as it lasts a few months I will be happy. The eventual plan is to toss it into a Toyota pickup. Different trans and clutch. I just want it running tip top before I swap it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It wont last more than a few minutes. Will instantly start to slip. Then one day when you need it to get home, it will not be there for you. Change it now. It's not as bad a job as you think.

Hrdc0r19

TDI
I got my injectors and chip! I don't have everything to swap the turbos, N75, and chip. I have to do all at the same time because of the difference in turbo actuation. All I really need is exhaust and time.

I was able to install the 1019 injectors though! There is definitely a noticable difference between the old and new ones. I'm happy so far.

I cleaned up the area really well before starting and I think it worked out well.

While I had the lines off I thought I would check the pump timing. I searched and searched, but I got conflicting answers on where it should be at TDC after rolling it back to zero the gauge. This is what I got, but I saw some responses that lead me to believe that it should be at 95... !!! I also saw that it should be 33 for non turbo cars and 39 for turbo cars. Where can I find that info? I don't know and if someone could give me more direction that would be great.
I'm getting a weird power loss above 3200 RPM. I still have a charge air difference in pressure CEL and I'm not sure if I'm going to try and fix that or assume it's the N75 and just swap to new turbos. I have a 75 Corvette that I'm doing an LS swap in and other cars that need attention all at the same time. Plus on Friday I leave for Florida for a week and a half to work out there. Not enough time in the day.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Timing can only be measured with vcds accurately. Get a vagcom cable. Used on ebay there about $100 to $150 for the old ones.

Hrdc0r19

TDI
I got a Vag Com Cable, damn they are expensive. I haven't downloaded the program yet. The reason I want to check the timing is I have an issue with the engine specially when it's cold. I can't go over 2,800 RPM, it bogs very hard almost until it dies. If I shift and play with the throttle just right I can get it going in the next gear. It happens in every gear when its cold and in first at any temp. I'm not sure if it is over fueling, underfueiling, or timing. I get a generic code P something that doesn't associate with any module in particular. I forgot the number and I will pull the code again soon. The boost hits 14 and settles to 12, it pulls hard and fast when its warm to 4k with no problem in all gears.
Some people will probably hate it, but I wanted it all one color and my buddy was shooting his truck bed with black liner. I sanded the multicolor Jetta down and had him shoot it with black bed liner, I think it looks kinda cool and I like that it is all one color.