98 TDI excessive smoke

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
It’s the first thread in this section
Not much. But its imo not worth doing unless you smashing past 250hp. I hit 230hp at the rear wheels on stock internals cam and IP at 32 psi. With lots of fuel.

krook

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 B5 AWX, A4 B5 AFN
i get that the 10mm pump can push a lot of fuel, however the larges the nozzles, the worse the atomization leading to too much smoke. the 11mm pump can push the same amount of fuel through smaller nozzles. plus the advance mechanism on the 11mm pump is superior to the one found on the 10mm one.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
i get that the 10mm pump can push a lot of fuel, however the larges the nozzles, the worse the atomization leading to too much smoke. the 11mm pump can push the same amount of fuel through smaller nozzles. plus the advance mechanism on the 11mm pump is superior to the one found on the 10mm one.
Incorrect.
Larger nozzles do not operate at a lower pressure. They operate at the pressure that the tunner pop tested and tuned them at. Do you have any idea how much fuel goes back to the tank though the return out of each injector is... and even so at WOT? It's a lot. There is always an excess of fuel at all demand ranges reguardless of nozzle size. This is not just for overkill but to also cool them and the pump.
It's a fact you can get better mpg even with big stage 2 tuned 764s because they have a better newer tech spray pattern and higher pressure (pop testing tune) and better atomization.
I dont know who told you or where you got that its worse... lol
Bigger nozzles dont just add more fuel.. they do it better.
There is nothing superior 10 or 11. The 11 just can delever more fuel over a higher rpm range. It's the size of the head that is more fuel but the 11 body has a higher cam lobe so slightly higher rpms get the fuel.

Reactions: Rig

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I may add that it's not the nozzle that adds the fuel more. It's the tune.
The smoke is from a lack of adequate air (boost to support the added fuel.
Not the nozzle.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
It's a fact you can get better mpg even with big stage 2 tuned 764s because they have a better newer tech spray pattern and higher pressure (pop testing tune) and better atomization.
Kind of kicking myself for not doing more thorough research. The guy at Kerma recommended the 1019s for me, but the 764s are probably what I actually wanted in the long run. Oh well. I guess when I do bigger power mods I might get them. The 1019 can flow up to 190hp which I'm pretty sure I'm not getting yet.

And then there's the 520s https://kermatdi.com/i-950-bosio-dl...html#!model=JETTA||make=VOLKSWAGEN||year=1998

Can't imagine what one would have to do run these.

Last edited:

alanack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
Car is running much better now and my fuel economy is consistently 52-55MPG where before it was 41-48 and occasionally above 50.

Still blows heavy smoke if you romp on it.. i was thinking its got nozzles?

My core injectors on my bench need to be rebuilt.... what do you guys from Kerma??? I was looking to doing a hotswap. I drive 55 in the right lane like a turtle, not looking for any power? Stock nozzles best?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the point was that even the big 764's can be more eficent than the old oems..... any nozzle upgrade techincally is going to make more power but at the reason of eficency, the #1 best way to get more power is burn more of the fuel you are injecting. new nozzles do a better job of that... vs the older tech the car came with.

alanack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
Well for stock turbo, timing, and tune? The car has low miles ~160k but it sat a lot, and it was definitely beat on a bit... i think fresh injectors with the correct pop pressure would help a bit here.

I just hate black smoke, and diesels get enough bad rap these days especially volkswagens...

krook

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 B5 AWX, A4 B5 AFN
i'm not sure how nozzles can be "ole tech". They are just a piece of metal with holes and a needle in them, no?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
11mm makes higher pressure = more fuel, and also better atomization for larger injectors. tuning (timing, boost etc) is key and it's no problem to get excellent mpg with whatevr turbo you want and 11mm + reasonably big injectors (say up to .260s)

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
I may add that it's not the nozzle that adds the fuel more. It's the tune.
The smoke is from a lack of adequate air (boost to support the added fuel.
Not the nozzle.
the smoke can be many things. timing in the tune needs to be right for the pump/nozzles you run. the pump voltage map needs to be right for the pump/nozzles. lots of tuners (*cough* malone) use the same pump and timing maps regardless of your pump/nozzles, at least as far as i've seen for basic edc15 tunes.

i don't think there's anything "newer tech" with the nozzles you buy now vs what came in the car. i believe internally they are virtually the same. of course they can be tweaked with shims etc but afaik they are the same, just slightly different size holes, shims and springs

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
also, as far as nozzle size go, you really want one size higher up than what you want so you don't max them out with long injection times for power you expect to use frequently. that's how the OEMs work. none of the factory maps max out the nozzles. car still runs great if you are on the higher end of injection duration, but just not performing as efficiently and will have more (maybe not noticeable) smoke and higher egt which can be made worse if tune isn't good or other hardware is off

Turtlecharged

TDI
98 MK3 TDI x 2
I tell you i most certainly had a one hell of a time, getting this engine timed right.

It kept jumping on the flywheel
You might have a damaged crank timing sprocket. The bolt can loosen up just enough to let it move. Eventually it can move enough to bend your valves.
There’s a video on YouTube about it from Cool Air VW.
Check for rusty dust around the crank sprocket, it is one of the signs the gear is loose.

Turtlecharged

TDI
98 MK3 TDI x 2
There’s newer tech in the nozzles, the materials and the precision holes in the nozzles make for more efficiency and power. The DLC (diamond like coating) also helps them last longer. A lot has changed since the 1990s.

alanack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
To wrap this thread up.... it ended up being injectors.

Scored a used set from pick and pull and the smoke is completely gone...

No idea if the injectors are oversize or just failed. But they are soaking in injector cleaner.....

They looked gross and lots of carbon.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
maybe they got fouled up from bad timing, all that poor combustion happening when the timing wasn't quite right?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
right, but wasn't the pump timing or cam/crank possibly quite retarded for quite some time? which you did eventually redo? and after that it ran quite a bit better? it's possible they were larger nozzles, or something else wrong with them, no real way to tell unless you spent $$ to ship them somewhere for analysis, but water under the bridge :)

alanack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
Dunno maybe ill take them apart. I already have another set of cores anyways...

I got 2 spare pumps, 2 sets of injectors and a complete ahu.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
off topic, but what did you need to swap to 11mm ALH pump onto the AHU?
This is actually pinned at the top of the forum.

Seems like something I would not want to personally attempt without someone who's done it before. Also, these pumps are very expensive.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
Dunno maybe ill take them apart. I already have another set of cores anyways...

I got 2 spare pumps, 2 sets of injectors and a complete ahu.
I would recommend getting your injectors hot swapped from Kerma. These injectors need to be properly calibrated as a set.

Choose the nozzles you want and they send you a fresh set of cores.

krook

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 B5 AWX, A4 B5 AFN
This is actually pinned at the top of the forum.

Seems like something I would not want to personally attempt without someone who's done it before. Also, these pumps are very expensive.
luckily in europe we have the 90hp AHH pumps available which have the 11mm core and bolt straight on to ahu/afn 😇 also they cost like 170 bucks in good condition so not the end of the world if i break one

alanack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
I would recommend getting your injectors hot swapped from Kerma. These injectors need to be properly calibrated as a set.

Choose the nozzles you want and they send you a fresh set of cores.
I have bosch shop local to me that will pop test mechanical injectors for free. They probably just need to be disassembled, cleaned and have the pop pressures reset.

Fuel injector nozzles usually last hundreds of thousands of miles before the holes wear out too big.

I bought this car of a good friend who had it short tem...he installed a new turbo and a boatload of other parts.... he and said was hammer modded to zero when he bought it and it would smoke out a high way.

Someone could have been a "fan of coal" or experimented with alternative fuels and clogged the injectors who knows.

Anyways the car is running great off my junkyard 1Z passat injectors, my fuel economy is now ~57-59 MPG average

Before i was getting mid to high 40s, occasional getting 50MPG.

Now the head seal is leaking again, so ill do that next

alanack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
Repaced the head seal.... pinched it on the first attempt...

It was still leaking... ended up being the head plug... made a special 3pt socket snd replaced the o ring.... annnnddd no more leaks

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Repaced the head seal.... pinched it on the first attempt...

It was still leaking... ended up being the head plug... made a special 3pt socket snd replaced the o ring.... annnnddd no more leaks
Good job, this is not an easy task but it's much better than having to pull the IP in many ways.

I will warn you though...replacement of one seal will tend to trigger leaks in other seals and the need to replace those as well, which is fine, except for the inside cover seal facing the engine, which requires removal of the IP in order to replace.

But you have bought yourself some time for now!!

Steve

alanack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
I didn't think it was that hard.... I only screwed up because I was too chicken to slide the pump head out far enough....

Head seal really wasnt even leaking.... i think it was that o ring for the old school timing tool plug the whole time....