'98 NB TDI 5 speed, Northern California

aaronp1

TDI
2000 Honda Insight MT
--SOLD-- '98 NB TDI 5 speed, Northern California

--SOLD-- For sale: 1998 New Beetle TDI, white with black cloth interior, 149K miles, 5-speed, because I’m returning to school. Looking to get $8,250.

Description:
The reason I bought the car was to run biodiesel. However, TDIs get great economy, which has been a real bonus. I had a chip and injectors installed to make it more powerful, and if you aren't using the power it will return better mileage than stock. It gets from 36 to 42+ MPG on a mix of bio/regular diesel and varied driving environment/style. I got 45 MPG recently on a trip to and around San Francisco with regular diesel.

Market prices of TDIs are around $8k and up. Blue book does not reflect the true value, but I'm flexible. Diesels are known to be long-lasting, and VWs are very quality designed and built. The continuing unchanged body style (’05- present is similar) is another value-bonus for the Beetle. And this is a very stylish car.

Just last month the injection pump was replaced. Last Spring the 100K mile timing belt/water pump job was done. I also had the clutch replaced around then. Over the last 2 1/2 years I've kept a good eye on maintenance and made modifications per TDIClub.com recommendations. I have also managed to put a few scratches on it; nevertheless it’s in great overall condition.

Accessories and upgrades:
-Rear “hoop” spoiler
-Alligator Stage I socketed ECU/Program and Bosio PP520 injectors (KermaTDI.com)
-CD/Bluetooth stereo
-Class I DrawTite hitch rated to 2,000 lbs. I drove from Eugene, OR to Arcata w/ a 1850 lb. 5'x8' U-haul trailer and it did great, returning 30 MPG. Trailer lighting is self-powered.
-Euroswitch with (front and) rear fog light(s).
-15” 7-spoke Mark IV VW Passat wheels with 15K miles on Goodyear Viva II tires.

Maintenance:
-100K timing belt, rollers, tensioner and water pump at 139K. Done by TDIclub.com ‘PNW get-together’ shop in Portland, OR.
-OEM clutch replacement at Advanced Transmission, Eugene OR. Inspected transmission: looks tight w/ little syncro wear. Shop noted this is also a strongly-made unit.
-Injection pump just replaced with low-miles pump.
-Oil changed with Castrol VW 505.00 5W40 oil. More recently used Elf and Pentosyn.
-Recently aligned.
-A/C is cold.

Issues:
-Small crack in windshield. Will have this replaced on the insurance.
-A few scratches, but with white you can't see them. Right-side wheels have curb scratches.
-Scratched side skirts from curb. This is hard to see this unless you're squating down.
-Front/rear bumpers repainted from minor accident. Clean title, VIN# is 3VWBF61C8WM008885. Looks original.
-Regular interior wear (could use a set of floor mats).

I’m located in Arcata, in Humboldt County. Thank you.

Last edited:

burrfree

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI V-Pack 6 Spd. Manual
No offense, but perhaps you'd do better if you removed all of those unsightly bumper stickers. They are a turnoff for most potential buyers. Selling cars is like selling houses... you need to "stage" your product. In your case, remove the stickers and DETAIL your car. If you're not capable of detailing, it would be worth a couple hundred for a pro shop to do it. Good luck. FWIW, your car is almost identical to my 01 NB right down to the spoiler and color.

aaronp1

TDI
2000 Honda Insight MT
Thanks for the tips:

burrfree,
Thanks for the advice, I've contemplated taking the bumper stickers off. There is a ding in the paint under the 'shield' sticker on the right rear, and I have been pricing getting the rear bumper replaced with an unblemished unit from a yard. Good luck on your sale,

Aaron

burrfree

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI V-Pack 6 Spd. Manual
You're welcome! No... I'm not selling mine, just got infact and loving it. If it's your rear bumper, a lot of times you can remove it and the rubberized material has memory and will go back to it's original shape. Most body shops will do this unless it's torn.

Good luck!

aaronp1

TDI
2000 Honda Insight MT
It's not torn, nor even dinged, just the paint was chipped and now there's a spot with missing paint. In all fairness the bumper cover needs to be replaced with a unit from a wrecking yard in perfect shape, around $250 to acquire. Or the next owner can leave the sticker on or leave the bumper plain showing the chip.

skidrain41

TDI
2002 silver jetta gls, 1998 black NB
Aaron, I am sure that I would like you car. PMed you with more info.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Just wondering if you made a donation to Fred since he makes this site possible?

And also this is the first car I've seen which has the same biodiesel sticker that I have on my back bumper.

-Keli

aaronp1

TDI
2000 Honda Insight MT
I will be making a donation, though my ad was spotted on Craigtslist, thanks for the reminder. I think this site does a good thing and really respect it. I was able to find much useful information during the height of my interest in TDIs.