98 Jetta transmission noise

5spd_Jetta

TDI
98 Jetta, 2014 Passat
My 5 speed started making a chattering noise that seemed to increase on acceleration and deceleration primarily. It stops as soon as the clutch is depressed. When I release the clutch it comes right back. Could this be a input shaft bearing? Clutches and transmissions aren't my forte'.

The car has 287K miles I know no clutch/tyranny work has been done since at least 150K miles. Not sure before that.

Any help is appreciated.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Yep
Trans is coming out and your changing the throw out bearing for sure.
Might be a good time to swap the clutch out with an light cheap upgrade.

5spd_Jetta

TDI
98 Jetta, 2014 Passat
I thought the throwout bearing would be noisy while the clutch was engaged. Could the Input shaft bearing cause this noise? Also, if end up doing a clutch job, should I go with a single mass flywheel? I read both pros and cons, but don't know if the switch is worth the money saved. No personal experience on this. Thanks for the input.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
your '98 should have a single mass flywheel already. best to get it machined ($60-ish) before new clutch. if no power mods planned, it would be a good idea to at least get something like the vr6 clutch that holds a little more than stock.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I’d get the g60 clutch. Same pressure plate, but different disc springs that won’t chatter.

I’ve never resurfaced a VW FW in my life and never had an issue. Maybe hit it with a Roloc to clean it up, but that’s it.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
The pn is Sachs K7003801… pretty inexpensive. Known as G60/TDI clutch and some vendors market it as “silent clutch” or something like that. Iirc, the springs in the disc are white. Been a while since mine was installed.

If your car is stock, it’ll be fine.

-Todd

5spd_Jetta

TDI
98 Jetta, 2014 Passat
The pn is Sachs K7003801… pretty inexpensive. Known as G60/TDI clutch and some vendors market it as “silent clutch” or something like that. Iirc, the springs in the disc are white. Been a while since mine was installed.

If your car is stock, it’ll be fine.

-Todd
Thanks Todd

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
(y) Second on the G60 clutch kit, resurface plate and lighten it(that's what I did), you'll be happy you did and you wont have to look back for a long time.

Hope you done it by now...