98 jetta tdi into 98 jetta glx

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 tdi GLX (mine) 00 tdi golf (the wifes)
Hello everyone,

Thought I'd post up a project I'm putting together: (I posted this over at vwdiesel.net as well, sorry for a copy paste, but thought I'd look for input here as well.)

Anyway, my daily driver is a 98 tdi jetta with some pretty bad rust issues in the gas tank and trunk area but drive train is decent. It's got 193k plus or minus a bit, I did the timing belt, tensioner rollers at 180k water pump not long after... (should have done it at the same time... oops) put new glow plugs in, new glow plug harness and a few other maintenance items I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

The current mods:
- stage 2 chip from malone tuning http://malonetuning.com/?page_id=62
- downpipe back straight pipe (my exhaust rusted out, this was the cheap replacement for the moment)
- larger injectors (Sprint 764)
- boost gauge

current problem:
At the moment I have a random (not repeatable) intermittent boost issue I haven't been able to pinpoint. I believe is associated with my turbo's waste gate sticking (when I bought it it was frozen up, I managed to free things up with pb-blaster and some vise grips and moving things around, it's not exactly an easy spot to reach.) but my n75 valve could also be part of the problem. While I'm doing the swap I will pinpoint where things are freaking out.

After looking at the body work that I'd need to do and by chance my buddy was parting out his turbo vr6 jetta which lined up a pretty much rust free glx. Based on the cost of bodywork, and upgrades that the glx would have I worked out a price with him and I'm buying his shell for the swap.

Things the glx shell has on it: (and should come with, going to be picking this up friday)
- clean title / fresh paint
- no motor/trans/radiator
- no engine wiring/ECU/cluster
- no emissions stuff
- will have shifter box and hydraulic clutch stuff.
- stock 5x100 15" wheels, stock suspension. will have axles.
- will have 11.3" brakes / rear disk with newer MK4 calipers. stainless lines. ebrake holds.
- control arm: polly bushings in front. R32 rear
- no seats; will have black door panels. black dash. black carpet.
- neuspeed upper tie bar.
- neuspeed front and rear lower sways
- 2.5" TT stainless borla exhaust with TT test pipe
- stock headlights

Things the shell needs fixed:
- passenger fender kinked. front/rear bumper needs paint.
- bad steering rack (i dont think yours will work). pressure line also needs replacing (your line should be fine)
- no seats, door cards will be swapped over with a k2 jetta door card. (I'll be swapping in my seats which are from a 95 glx)

Things I'll swap over from my current tdi:
- Suspension from my current tdi (noname cupkit)
- motor & transmission
- engine bay wiring harness
- gas tank

Things I have ordered or am building or have on hand for this swap for upgrade/replacement:
- Stuff to make a stainless downpipe
- ebay cxracing fmic from ebay
- new motor mounts (g60 solid transmission mount, oem front and rear engine mounts)
- new strut bushings
- aircraft spruce egt probe (plan on connecting a vdo gauge I have hopefully it's the correct type)
- manual boost controllers (I'm picking up two of these to use until I get things dialed in)

Fabrication: (works in progress)
- short shifter (a friend of mine makes these, I'm getting a decent price on it so I'll try it out)
- the downpipe
- custom 3 gauge holder thinking about a green sand casting of one I have now but it needs some work.
- building a custom intake from a volvo d24 (egr delete) ported and polished
a couple images of that so far (I've beadblasted it and my buddy will tig-weld it for me)

- k24 turbo from an audi 5000 diesel (will custom exhaust adaptor & or manifold adaptation to make things work correctly)

The info I've pulled from it shows that it's a k24 from a 2.0L audi turbo diesel seems to be in decent shape. I'm thinking about pushing in the range of 20-25psi (I would like some input on this particular turbo, has anyone here run them on a tdi? also sorry for stupid questions, I haven't found any maps on it and am still learning about turbos.)

http://www.turbo-product.com/KKK/K24.ASP

model # I found 069145703 shows the following
Turbocharger - KKK
Mark - Audi
Model - 100 TD
Year - 1981-01
Engine - 720/5 (2.0)
H.p. - 87 D
Family Turbo - K24
Turbo Code - 53249706081
O.E.M Turbo Code - 069145703 3K (maybe this is the max rpm?)
Things that will need to happen once swap is complete:
- paint bumpers and one small ding
- Once things are up, running (and most importantly stable) I will look into an upgraded 3 bar MAP then get another custom tune from malone for some more power.
- Find out what it would take to get the MFA working (using a vr6 cluster, mod the tachometer I've read a bit about it but it's on the back burner at the moment)

The goal of this project is to have a decent reliable daily driver that has enough power to pass when I need to, and have a fairly good mpg. my commute is about an hour one way so most important is it needs to be reliable. That said, the glx will have tons of upgrades that my current one lacks, an interior for instance because I have a huge rust hole in the trunk area that is letting water in...

Anyway, thanks for reading (and stay tuned) I am gonna try and wrap this up by September! (a lofty goal for me)

-Todd

Last edited:

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
Just replaced the n75 valve and took it for a spin.
Started out, hit 3rd gear 2500 rpm and hammered it, The new N75 valve and holds it at 15psi!!!

While I only went for a small drive, since the gauge didn't get above 15psi I'm 99% sure my intermittent boost issue is fixed!!! (except now I want more boost...)

This is so Awesome to nailed the cause of this before I did my swap (of course everything I had read on this subject pointed at a bad n75, although I think it was a combination sticky n75 valve and frozen waste gate)

I guess next time I'll not be so such cheap... *grin*
-T

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You can put the 4 cylinder steering rack onto the 6 cylinder body... but with so many miles on your TDI I'd consider getting a new one.

-Jason

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I've done some research and a few people have put the mk2 TD turbos on the tdi. There was a performance gain but the turbo was working outside of its ideal range. I've decided that I will try a B5.5 TDI turbo with an AFN TDI Manifold.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Also if you want to make the intake manifold be a little cooler you should cut the webbing out from between the runners. Plus it looks really cool.

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
You can put the 4 cylinder steering rack onto the 6 cylinder body... but with so many miles on your TDI I'd consider getting a new one.

-Jason
Yeah, at this point I'm leaning towards buying a new (well rebuilt) rack, the guy I got the car from hasn't had a chance to pull a used one and I don't want to have that hold up the swap.

I've done some research and a few people have put the mk2 TD turbos on the tdi. There was a performance gain but the turbo was working outside of its ideal range. I've decided that I will try a B5.5 TDI turbo with an AFN TDI Manifold.

Also if you want to make the intake manifold be a little cooler you should cut the webbing out from between the runners. Plus it looks really cool.
Yeah, I realize there are potenially better turbos to put in, but I have these parts in hand. I'm going to try it and see. I think it should be a decent turbo setup and if I need to upgrade later on it shouldn't be a problem.

On the intake, haven't finished things yet, but I'll think about the webbing, I just want to make sure I don't cut away something that would cause a stress point where it'll fail.

I got the car delivered yesterday to the shop things will be taking place, have a lot of work ahead of me which I need to get cracking on to make headway, gonna try and spend some time on it today, but need to do rear shocks in my wife's mk4 golf tdi before I can get over to that one.

I'll try and upload some better res images of the shell.

-T

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
Yesterday I got the dash out of the glx, which should make the fuse block re-wire go much much faster.

Also got my short shifter installed.

Next step is tackle the steering rack I think, I can't do much else until that's taken care of. I guess I could also take a look at egt probe placement on the exhaust manifold.

before

after

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also replace the foam on the blend doors. The next level of while you are in there type of work is to clean the evaporator since a lot of crap gets in there and decreases the efficiency of the A/C also refoam the recir flap.

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
You might want to consider a preemptive swap of the heater core since the dash is out.
Also replace the foam on the blend doors. The next level of while you are in there type of work is to clean the evaporator since a lot of crap gets in there and decreases the efficiency of the A/C also refoam the recir flap.
I agree, these both would be a good idea, but I am attempting to keep the non-essential 'while your in there' costs down (I only have so much $ to drop on this at once...) still it would be nice to not have to pull the entire dash again to do something I could have done earlier (like what happened to me when I decided to forgo replacing the water pump when I did the timing belt... only to have to replace the water pump no less then 2k miles later... opps) I'll get some prices on the heater core. (weren't these under warranty at one point?)

Anyhow, these showed up today (cool.)

They'll be used for the downpipe, was hoping that I could use one as an interface with the turbo, and one to match up with the exhaust that's on the shell currently.

looks like it'll take some custom fabrication to work, but the price of a stainless flange that I found was twice what two of these cost!?! I figured I'd try this out first it's not 'that' far out of line I think I'll be able to get it to work fairly easily. (still need to go over to see if they'll fit the exhaust bracket that's on the car now.)

I think pretty impressive for what they cost, makes me sad that I can buy these on ebay so cheap and have stores that are 'reputable' sell the same (most likely as almost nothing is manufactured in the US anymore) thing at 2-3x the markup... but that's a story for another time :)

Steering rack is ordered and should be here in a couple days.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
heater cores cost $50 or so. The foam is $10 or so at home depot. do it now or do soon after down the road. Its a bear to do twice.

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
heater cores cost $50 or so. The foam is $10 or so at home depot. do it now or do soon after down the road. Its a bear to do twice.
Yeah, found a good price on a heater core ($23.61) [http://www.autohausaz.com/] so I went ahead and ordered it along with new fluids (vw power steering and g12) that I covers most of what I'm looking to do here. (Hopefully)

So, Other than title/registration and cost of materials to finish the exhaust and intake (misc silicone couplers, cost of a refill on a bottle of argon) and final paint work I hope (crosses fingers) all costs are taken into account.

-T

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
More parts have arrived :)

how the 90 degree bend lines up

well this was a pain but the heater core's out. Can't imagine what it would be like to try and get to this with the engine in the way... even more of a pain!

The new heater core won't be here until next tues ... but honestly there's alot of things that need to happen between now and then.

-Todd

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
Last part of the downpipe showed up today,

and the steering rack showed up... but... i think it's the wrong one. (need to do a little research, the invoice says for a vr6 corrado)

anyway, pics of the removal/comparison.

old rack (pay attention to the three bolt holes on top)

out:
the new rack appears wider, the bolt holes are missing. I didn't bother to measure, i'll confirm the part # I need then chat w/guy I bought it from.

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
So, I just heard back from the place I got the rack. The owner checked with their supplier who says that they've never had any problems with these, says the intended application is vr6 mk3 jetta. He usually knows what he's talking about and would not intentionally jerk me around, So I'll give it a shot.

Basically I just wanted to confirm that it if I had to return it (i.e. it doesn't fit that it won't be a problem.)

This weekend I'm going to try and catch up with my buddy who's gonna help out with the tig welding to weld up the intake.

-T

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
So,
I ordered a bunch of stuff through arizona autohaus and it showed up yesterday, some of the parts I ordered (brand of Meyle) with stickers saying made in china... I just wasn't expecting that.

I guess the US isn't the only place that outsources to China it will be interesting to see how they hold up.

I'll be attempting putting the steering rack in the car today, hopefully it works as the supplier claims it will. We'll see how that goes.

-T

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the intake trimmed down and have a plate cut out for welding. (may have to trim it down a bit, but wanted to make sure I had enough so I didn't have to cut another one.

now to go put the steering rack in...

-Todd

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
Steering Rack is in (this is taken 1/2way through without all the nuts being tightened down)

next step is focusing on the interior (door cards, wiring harness & fuseblock) as well as motor mounts and suspension bits.

-Todd

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
The heater core, coolant and power steering fluid showed up today and started putting wiring back in the fuse block

Chatted with the guy who's helping me fabricate the intake and downpipe and ordered a couple more silicone bits that are going to be needed to make the intake tubing work with things. I did chat with another friend about trying to find a reducer pipe instead of a reducer coupler, but in terms of 'quickness' I opted to go with two couplers, one for the intake of the turbo (2.5" -> 2.25") and one for the inlet of the intake manifold (2" -> 3") the outlet of the turbo is 2" and the silicone couplers that came with the intercooler kit fit right on, so I lucked out there.

I need to figure out the oil supply/drain lines for the turbo as well, I might be able to use the turbo diesel oil supply line that I have (we'll see) Going to need a custom drain line for for the turbo I think.

I'm attempting to line things up to get this swap stated/finished this weekend (we'll see how that goes fingers crossed.)

-T

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
Caught up with the guy who's been helping out with this project tonight, he started tig weldeing on the end cap! A huge thanks to him for helping me out on this project! I really really appreciate it.

in progress shot :)

I only have crappy cell phone pics of how it is turning out, this is the best one I got but I think it's going to be pretty nice all said and done..

Also worked on figuring out what needs to happen next to mock up the turbo to figure out how things will sit (with the intake) as well as oil drain lines, so I'll work on that tomorrow.

but I'm beat, have been up since 4 am so right now I'm going to bed.

-T

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
Started the pulling stuff from the daily to swap over this weekend (there won't be many pictures as my camera's battery died and I need to figure out where the charger is.)

So, started mocking things up, the 1.6 td intake will not work with the d64 manifold.

so, I took the adapter plate I had, and adapted it for the tdi exhaust manifold

Basically milled out spots for studs to be welded in and had a neighbor who welds much better than I can weld them in.

This is a prototype... probably won't work... we shall see.

crappy cell pics before welding:

I didn't take any of it finished. but, here's one mostly finished.

Also pulled, the dash last night so that's out and I'm trying to guesstimate what I can get done today.

-T

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
egr blockoff & turbo drain flanges are made.

quick cell pic

lunch and then back at it.

-T

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
I managed to get alot done today the biggest milestone, the motor is out!

Also, I got a majority of the harness labeled, I will pull the engine bay harness tomorrow and work on getting things moved around to get ready to put the motor into the other car.

Trying to work as fast as I dare without breaking alot of things.

A large amount done and alot left todo.

-T

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
it's pouring buckets outside today, so before I head over (and hope the rain stops) I made up the exhaust manifold->turbo gaskets out of some copper flashing I have

the material

In progress

finished.

looks like the rain's not gonna let up though so I'll have to brave the storm.

Still have to anneal the gaskets before I put them together and do some minor adjustment to the turbo to get a bolt to work correctly.

-T

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
Made quite a bit of progress today. Got the harness out

Also ran it in the other car, all the wiring has been hooked back into the fuse block.

The heater core is replaced, the one I got was made in china, I am not happy at all about the fitment, materials and craftsmanship of it... ah well, if it fails I'll try and find a better option made somewhere else I guess.

Anyway, the new (very dirty) jetta is near the lift

Also, pulled the old intake and turbo/exhaust/egr cooler

when I pulled the exhaust manifold (I left everything attached since i'll be swapping it out) I think I found where it was leaking, the flex pipe seems to have daylight shine through when I look at it (I didnt' look super close though)

it'll be easy to put the motor back in, there won't be a down pipe *grin*

Anyway, tomorrow morning Cate's going to carpool so I'll be able to run some errands to get a few last bits needed (and hit the DMV up to get this on the road)

The guy who's helping me weld up the intake ran out of gas today when he was working on the intake so he is going finish up the manifold tomorrow and swing out this way with it we'll be able to test fit it.

There is a ton left to do but I'm getting closer

-T

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
a huge thanks to Ryan for swinging out today, he helped out more than he even knows!

turbo and exhaust are together:

Because it hit the transmission mounting bracket I busted out a cut off wheel and got it mounted with the modified transmission bracket... this will need beefing up... or a new one built, I'm not sure which is easier...

we got the gas tank out and new one in and made a short drain line that took more time than I care to admit to get in... (but it is)

at that point I tested starting and it did!

so I started working on mocking up the intercooler piping, but since I have to get up at 5:30 tomorrrow I'm going to bed.

-T

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
I made some major progress yesterday final fitment of the IC piping, my buddy came out to help (a huge help) and we got downpipe fabricated, and last night I was able to test start the car check around for leaks. (I need to get the intake manifold drilled and tapped for a hose barb, I got the incorrect fitting for the tap I have :-/) Should do that this morning.

downpipe tacked up but not welded yet.

front end, I put painters tape on the fenders as I stupidly put the bumper rebar in and managed to ding the drivers side...

here's the air box, I able to route things through the bottom of it (which means I get to keep the oem air cleaner, one less thing to try to find/fabricate...) I had to modify the bottom of the airbox but it seems to at least at the moment work ok. The only other note I have on the IC piping that came with the ebay kit is there are not enough silicone couplers so, if your looking at this kit, buy a couple 90 degree and more t-bolt clamps. I'm planning on having my buddy tig up the piping so there are less coupler's to blow off, but for the moment it should work for testing.

The front bumper on the tdi was cracked so I just saws-alled the crap out of it so it would fit and I could move forward with the testing.

I need to build a different pass side engine mount, I'm not anywhere close to confident in the one that is on there. I'll be buying some thick metal to do this (hopefully later today)

stand by for more crappy cell pics later on

Oh, and last but not least my wife's '00 tdi golf's pass side cv boot decided to put a hole in itself and spit its guts all over the wheel :(

-T

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Mark, I'll be getting in touch with you but I really haven't had a chance to formulate any coherent response... I'm pretty tired at the moment.

But! it drives under it's own power! I need shocks and struts, the fronts are shot and the rear's aren't mine I'm thinking a cupkit or coil overs... I think the brakes are sticking as well (e-brake perhaps?)

no exhaust leaks (that I could tell) I welded shut the o2 sensor ports with some bolts last night (did I say that already?)

I ran out of space and deleted all the pics I hadn't d-loaded (pics of the engine mount, etc) oops ... so that sucks

But they're only crappy cell pics anyway.

I'll have to work on the bumper (not liking how the ic sits, but it'll work until I get a chance to reposition.)

anyway I have to run, will post more updates later.

-T

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, after a long weekend (including a wake)

I haven't gotten the suspension done, but last night I did get the front brake pads changed. The old front pads ebc green stuff had separated from the backing plate (is this normal, or only when being thrashed by a turbo vr6?)

Of course I've heard now that ebc aren't exactly getting stellar reviews after I bought and installed their red stuff pads. (hopefully they'll do ok for street driving.)

cleared the codes for the engine, and everything appears to be happy (no more flashing glow plug light!)

put the grill in and got the door panels in place. There are still a few pieces missing that I need to look for (or I need to get.)

Tightened down the front suspension nuts and took it for a 30-45mph run up the road to about 2k rpm. Since it was night, and I did get high-beamed when my low-beams were on, so they must need to be adjusted...

I checked again and the drainline is leaking so I will have to come up with a better solution. I'll either revisit how I've got things run there, or look into a pan based drain. I was thinking braided stainless might be what I need to go with. (basically something with more flex in a small amount of space)

And finally started running the wiring for the egt, boost and oil pressure gauges, hope to have the rest of the interior in tonight and will look at what it would take to swap over the front suspension as I won't have anything to roll the other shell around on if I remove the rear.

That said, I've let things start run and warm up and it sounds good, fairly quiet and no weird rattles. also, it needs an alignment badly (but until I get the suspension figured out it'll have to wait)

-T