98 Jetta TDI 1.9 ALH

Degate

TDI
)3 Jetta 1.9
I recently purchased an 03 Jetta TDI, while in a road trip today eyeballed the 98 and an older Jetta with a completely different body style the older model has the 5 speed standard.

My main interest is with the 98, how compatible are the parts with my 03.

I'm going to call later in the evening to make an offer on both.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Almost nothing is the same. If the 98 is a TDI, it will be the AHU engine, not the ALH - completely different block, head etc.

4x100 wheels instead of 5x100, different brakes, the transmission has different mounts and not interchangeable etc. Literally nothing but some fuses.

Degate

TDI
)3 Jetta 1.9
Almost nothing is the same. If the 98 is a TDI, it will be the AHU engine, not the ALH - completely different block, head etc.

4x100 wheels instead of 5x100, different brakes, the transmission has different mounts and not interchangeable etc. Literally nothing but some fuses.
Thanks for the quick reply, car was decent so I made the call. The owner is 85 and has hardware disease - plans to fix them up.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If it's in decent shape, it's worth saving. The mk3s got great fuel economy. Biggest issue is rust.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If it is truly a 98, then it would have an 02A transmission and not the 02J. The internals are mostly the same, but the mount system and case are different.

Degate

TDI
)3 Jetta 1.9
I've onky had my 03 Jetta less than a week, I'm hooked on this car.

Just purchased a jetta 01 for $600.00, five hour drive to Saskathewan.