98 Jetta Fuel line leak

5spd_Jetta

TDI
98 Jetta, 2014 Passat
I recently got my jetta back from the shop since it had been in some flood waters. I drove it home (30miles) and to and from work(50miles). When I went to drive it to work after the weekend, it sputtered and died on me. I had to tow it home and park it. When I got it in the garage I realized it was leaking fuel. There appears to be a crushed/bent spot in the frame right where the fuel line goes in just behind the front passenger wheel(Don't remember hitting anything). Fuel was leaking in this general area. I don't know if the leak is at this crushed spot or a little farther forward where the frame goes up towards the engine compartment(this is where I saw the fuel actually dripping). Has anyone had to replace the fuel line? Is there a way to put a splice in it or do I need to replace the whole line? If so, is this a real difficult process as a DIY? I have moderate shadetree skills with minimal patience.

-Numbnut amphibious Jetta owner

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Are the Jetta's line nylon like the Passats?

Technically, I guess it doesn't matter.... I'd just splice it. Try and find an insert that will slip into the line, (if it's nylon) and normal low pressure fuel hose and clamps will work fine. Fishing it through the reinforcement would be best.

Don't call them frame rails. A shop may try and lift you car from them and buckle your floors.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rereading it, I wonder if your shop crushed the reinforcement, pinching your lines...

Did they have your car on a lift?

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
A splice is difficult because there's no barb where you want to install the splice, no rib to clamp into the splice hose. I'm not saying it couldn't be done but it would be tough.

You ought to just find someone parting a Mk3 Jetta and snag the fuel lines from it to fix yours. And personally I'd be taking pictures of it and talking with the show about what they did. These lines don't just crush on their own, it would have taken a poorly chosen lift point to damage them.

This is one reason why I hate a lot of the lifts out there, if you aren't careful or don't use them properly you can do all sorts of damage.

Steve

BioDiesel'

TDI
1998 Jetta Elsbett single-tank, 230K WVO miles
IIRC its 6mm inside diameter nylon.
Rather than splice I think the easier and more reliable thing is to replace it.
It's very easy to get out. It's just held in by a couple plastic clamps to the floor. There is a pressure fit at the fuel pump pickup and near the firewall where it transitions to a metal fuel line. If you can find the matching inside diameter nylon fuel line you'll just need to heat it up a little to soften it to get it over the fittings. Don't use a lighter! :eek:

5spd_Jetta

TDI
98 Jetta, 2014 Passat
Good call on the lift. I didn't even think about that. I am not sure if he used one or not when he had it. I will call and find out that one. So is there any easy way to drain the fuel from the tank if I end up replacing them myself. Oh yeah, yes they are the nylon lines. Is there a splice kit you guys have used, or just use generic fuel line in the proper size?

Thanks for the info guys. These forums are such a wealth of knowledge.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A splice is difficult because there's no barb where you want to install the splice, no rib to clamp into the splice hose. I'm not saying it couldn't be done but it would be tough.

Years ago, I was running screws through the floor in one of my Rabbits (I was young...). I went straight through one of the steel fuel lines. I cut a section out and slid regular fuel hose over it, clamped it and never had an issue.

I'm sure the same would apply with nylon.

If the shop did it, get them to do the repair. Draining the tank won't be necessary.

-Todd

5spd_Jetta

TDI
98 Jetta, 2014 Passat
Well good news. The mechanic said he would cover it if it is cut where the rail is crushed. I should hear something by tomorrow. I was at the dealer yesterday(2014 Passat had to have new heater core), they said you couldn't buy the fuel lines anymore, they were discontinued. We'll see what his remedy is for the lines.

On a side note on the Passat, if you have a '13-14 Passat that has the heater core go out shortly after the warranty, call the VW customer care so they will cover the cost of a new one. There is a Service bulletin that discusses this problem. It is a very common issue on those models.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Glad to hear he's taking responsibility for the fuel lines, but I'd be peeved that he crushed my floor supports....

-Todd

5spd_Jetta

TDI
98 Jetta, 2014 Passat
Well, surprise, the leak was not where I thought it was. It was actually up closer to the filter where the line goes up that rail. It looked like is was rubbed like crazy by something. Luckily he took care of me and didn't charge me for it. On a bad note, I got it back drove it a couple days and then it sat for a couple days. Now it won't start again. It sounds like it did when the fuel line was busted. Could it be something with the splice/fix? I don't see any fuel leaking anywhere. Man, this thing is pissing me off. Any ideas?