98 AHU manual, VSS, what did i break?

Tyril

TDI
98 Jetta AHU 5spd, 2013 Golf TDI 6spd
Replaced clutch over the weekend, car drives great, broke some things -

Pulled vehicle speed sensor off the transmission by accident, breaking it in several pieces. I can read a partial part number, 191 919 1xx - the rest is gone. Can anyone come up with the remainder of this part number? I think its
191 919 149D, looks similar to the chunks I have left.

I also suspect I pinched a wire or missed a ground somewhere. Other than my speedo obviously not working, my fuel gauge is acting up. When i slow the car to a stop, the gauge slowly drops and the light comes on. Over a few seconds it will slowly rise back to where it was. Right side illumination of cluster is out. Tach, when above ~3500 rpm now intermittently bounces a bit.

Halp!

Here is a picture of the broken part - http://i.imgur.com/mgQsK.jpg

Last edited:

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,

Use illustration to identify transmission Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) "G38", Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) "G68" and Speedometer Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) "G22".

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I wonder if the instrument cluster put itself into its own safe mode due to the non working speedo.

The buffer on the fuel gauge stops working when the cluster is in the diagnostic mode (turn the key on, make sure the odo is NOT on trip, turn off the key, press and hold odo reset button, key back on).

That may fix itself once the speedo is working again. I don't know for sure...

As far as the lighting is concerned, it's likely a burned out bulb, you would have to remove the instrument cluster to fix that.

Tyril

TDI
Ordered a 191 919 149D from local dealership, will have it thursday.

Matt - will def look into that, thanks for the tip.

Tyril

TDI
To add to the weirdness, the hand brake indicator was softly illuminated for part of todays drive. It turned off on its own after making a left turn.

Tyril

TDI
New VSS installed, speedo and fuel gauge work fine now.

Revisiting the brake indicator - Drove in with my wipers on. A few times the wipers would pause mid stroke for half a second, the brake indicator turns on.

Later in my drive the wipers stopped for a good minute, light on fully lit the entire time. Gave top of the dash a few good whacks, no improvement. Gave the underside below the steering wheel a whack, wipers came back on, light went out.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
New VSS installed, speedo and fuel gauge work fine now.

Revisiting the brake indicator - Drove in with my wipers on. A few times the wipers would pause mid stroke for half a second, the brake indicator turns on.

Later in my drive the wipers stopped for a good minute, light on fully lit the entire time. Gave top of the dash a few good whacks, no improvement. Gave the underside below the steering wheel a whack, wipers came back on, light went out.
Sounds like a dirty or worn connection with the wiper stalk... Strange that the brake light comes on dimly when this happens. Not sure how those are interlinked!

Tyril

TDI
Rainstorm for todays drive in, terrifying when the wipers stopped -

Twice while making a right turn, turn signal on, the wipers stopped, brake indicator came on. Started / turned off as soon as blinker turned off.

Later tried to repeat this, wipers were unaffected by blinkers. Tried the 4 ways, no change.

For the last mile of my trek wipers were completely dead. Pulled up on brake lever, the indicator went from dimly lit to fully lit.

Once parked I tinkered some more, tried every lever position and combo I could think of - Was able to get the wiper circuit powered when I would do a half pull on the turn signal stalk, halfway between brights clicked on and nothing. If I went brights on, no wipers, only in between on and off.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Since you're at wits end, try to clean and tighten the grounds. I'm not sure where they are in the A3, but in the B4 there is one almost under the washer tank, one almost under the battery on the other side of the boost tubing, and I think there was one on the trannie. Also look under the cover that is under the windshield wipers. I think there's one there. Often a bad ground will do all sorts of wierd things.

Tyril

TDI
Last night cleaned / replaced all engine grounds. Removed battery tray, visually inspected everything I could find.

After all this was done, hopped in the car, key to on, OH LOOK, hand brake light is on. What else did i find - NO HEADLIGHTS!!!

High beams work, no low beams.

Reseated the first 5 fuses, seemed to fix it.

Todays drive in - light came on dimly again. Sigh, taking it to a shop and saying 'fix it'

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
At this point, the light work? The turn signal works? wipers?

Which light came on dimly? The brake light?

Tyril

TDI
Head lights (low beam only) and wipers - Intermittently cease functioning. While they are not functioning, the Parking brake indicator light on the dash illuminates dimly. If I put the brake on while this is happening, it lights up properly.

I have not been able to figure out any specific conditions that cause the situation, nor have i figured out a reliable way to fix the issue.
-- Pulling the high beam lever all the way back, in the position where lows and highs are both on before it clicks - power is restored to the wipers. Obviously this is not a fix but perhaps can help track the probelm down.

Dropped it off with a shop this morning. Requested they give the battery a thorough check - ive experienced TDI's behaving weirdly on a low battery in the past.

Tyril

TDI
2 hours of diagnostic charges later, we have determined its the ignition switch. Going to ignore it for now, if/when the problem occurs, bumping the key a bit fixes it. YAAAAY ELECTRICAL GREMLINS BE GONE!

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2 hours of diagnostic charges later, we have determined its the ignition switch. Going to ignore it for now, if/when the problem occurs, bumping the key a bit fixes it. YAAAAY ELECTRICAL GREMLINS BE GONE!
you're in to it this far, get it fixed. Losing lights some night is not worth the money saved.

Tyril

TDI
Scary electrical whine started coming from behind the dash - dropped car off at shop today for new ignition switch :)