97Passat, no o-rings on fuel filter

Dean_S

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 535d x-drive
When we changed the fuel filter, there were no o-rings installed with the old, and the new filter did not come with any o-rings. After reading previous posts, this is very confusing.

Any thoughts on this?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
They are built-in on the Passats and A-3 Jetta's
The "O" are an issue on A-4's. not ann issue on the Passat.
Don't worry about it you are fine

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0 TDI 170HP (engine CBBB)
I would like to say you're ok but from my point of view I'd be lieing.
I had a real problem with these o-rings.
I had air bubbles in fuel line at high rpms and at certain times they were high that the engine stumbled nasty.

I changed the o-ring with the same size but fatter and the thermostat valve (t thingie) and since then had NO PROBLEM and no visible bubble only some little bubbles which can be seen using a magnifier glass ONLY.

But how expensive can such an o-ring be??! And availability should be no problem there.. starting from vw dealer and other automotive centers you will definitely find one.

Size? Measure the size on the new filter (or old one - or one in a store without buying it) and then search for such an o-ring.

You will manage in the end.

MY RECOMMENDATION: Put a NEW o-ring there ... maybe even a new thermostat valve.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
You gotta be careful with the built-in o-ring. When I changed my fuel filter, I was kind of rough putting the "T" thing back on and pushed the o-ring off its seat a little. This caused some rough start ups and idling. Reseating the o-ring solved this. Lesson learned

-Nick