97 Suzuki Sidekick 1.9 alh mtdi help

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
Ending up getting a hold of XMAN turbos and he recommended the GTC1549vk, good for about 180hp. It bolts to the BHW manifold by elongating the bolt holes a smidge and is newer generation turbo.

He is awesome to work with and came highly recommended. Ordered the turbo, manifold and oil supply line with him! Plus the package deal was way cheaper than ordering the 1749va plus manifold anywhere else.
I look forward to seeing how that performs for you, I've been thinking about upgrading from the 1749 someday. Did you get one converted to vacuum actuator? Are you going to be using a BHW manifold?

Suzuki_dude

TDI
'95 Sidekick
I'm pretty familiar with TDI swapping a Sidekick. I did mine originally almost 5 years ago with an AHU and now I'm finishing up replacing it with an ALH.

4.30 diffs are available. You'll find them in a 2dr 16v autos.

You may not need to modify the pan at all if you get a 2" diff drop. Calmini only drops it 1". I have a toyota IFS diff in mine and dropped it 2" and I cut the pan a little but I have enough hood clearance I probably didn't have to if I mounted it higher up. Tip the motor over 15 degrees and rework the t case mount. It really helps.

I found an intercooler and rad that fills up the whole front end. The rad is from speedway motors. 22x19" ford/mopar dual pass. I had it modified a bit. The intercooler is from a seat sport. You can't fit anything bigger. I built custom mounts to hold them both.

I'm using the BHW/CJAA big oil cooler. It fits just barely. You'd have to push the motor back 1" to make it work. I'd recommend doing that anyway. The straight up ports makes plumbing a lot neater.

I would have gone with a wastegated turbo if you're doing mtdi.

I have 3.73 diffs and 31" tires in mine. It works great. I've towed 1100lb (it's only a 2dr) and it had zero issues passing with a trailer against a headwind. Suzuki guys know that's a huge improvement over stock.

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
I look forward to seeing how that performs for you, I've been thinking about upgrading from the 1749 someday. Did you get one converted to vacuum actuator? Are you going to be using a BHW manifold?
XMAN said it spools even faster than the stock vnt15 and can handle 30psi boost. Said it is really good for about 200hp but he only recommends 180hp. He said stock it has a dual actuator. You can use either the electric smart or just as vacuum only. Only thing he modifies is the custom billet turbine and welding a 50mm port either in or out I can't remember. Will be using a stock BHW exhaust manifold.

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
I'm pretty familiar with TDI swapping a Sidekick. I did mine originally almost 5 years ago with an AHU and now I'm finishing up replacing it with an ALH.

4.30 diffs are available. You'll find them in a 2dr 16v autos.

You may not need to modify the pan at all if you get a 2" diff drop. Calmini only drops it 1". I have a toyota IFS diff in mine and dropped it 2" and I cut the pan a little but I have enough hood clearance I probably didn't have to if I mounted it higher up. Tip the motor over 15 degrees and rework the t case mount. It really helps.

I found an intercooler and rad that fills up the whole front end. The rad is from speedway motors. 22x19" ford/mopar dual pass. I had it modified a bit. The intercooler is from a seat sport. You can't fit anything bigger. I built custom mounts to hold them both.

I'm using the BHW/CJAA big oil cooler. It fits just barely. You'd have to push the motor back 1" to make it work. I'd recommend doing that anyway. The straight up ports makes plumbing a lot neater.

I would have gone with a wastegated turbo if you're doing mtdi.

I have 3.73 diffs and 31" tires in mine. It works great. I've towed 1100lb (it's only a 2dr) and it had zero issues passing with a trailer against a headwind. Suzuki guys know that's a huge improvement over stock.
I'd love to get my hands on some 4.30 gears!

Calmini says I shouldn't have to modify the pan with his 6in lift but I'd rather custom build one that for sure clears and hold more oil.

That is great info on the intercooler, rad and oil cooler, I will likely go with that setup as well.

Right now I am at odds with going with the stock 5 speed. Or trying to fit a r151f. Do you think the stock 5 speed will handle 150-160hp from the diesel?

Doomsday diesel sells a 20* adapter for the r151f, I just don't know how well the r151f will fit the stock tranny tunnel.

Suzuki_dude

TDI
'95 Sidekick
I'd love to get my hands on some 4.30 gears!

Calmini says I shouldn't have to modify the pan with his 6in lift but I'd rather custom build one that for sure clears and hold more oil.

That is great info on the intercooler, rad and oil cooler, I will likely go with that setup as well.

Right now I am at odds with going with the stock 5 speed. Or trying to fit a r151f. Do you think the stock 5 speed will handle 150-160hp from the diesel?

Doomsday diesel sells a 20* adapter for the r151f, I just don't know how well the r151f will fit the stock tranny tunnel.
I had a custom pan made for mine. Trimmed the passenger side down and lowered the back end of the pan down a few inches to get the oil capacity up. I did the same idea for the AHU too. I haven't run it yet to see how much it'll hold but should take 5L at least.

I don't think a stock trans would survive that very long. I have a malone stage 3 tune and I'm using a W56 in mine. Mine took a bit of cutting because the t case sits a bit flatter than a Suzuki and I refuse to do a body lift. You have a 3" body lift so you'll be fine. There also aren't many great clutches for the Suzuki stuff. Lot more options for Toyota but I'm struggling to find one that holds up long term. I've broken a spring and worn out the splines in the center. I have seen an r151f and r150f swap. Basically just the t case and shifter position that's the issue. Hydraulic clutch swap isn't too bad. Best to modify the firewall a bit and beef it up.

I'm using an acme adapter since the doomsday kit wasn't around at the time. I aligned it myself a few times. Had to redo it for the new engine. I just tipped the trans over 15 degrees too. Actually clears the floor better that way. Shifters I can bend back so they sit straight again.

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
I had a custom pan made for mine. Trimmed the passenger side down and lowered the back end of the pan down a few inches to get the oil capacity up. I did the same idea for the AHU too. I haven't run it yet to see how much it'll hold but should take 5L at least.

I don't think a stock trans would survive that very long. I have a malone stage 3 tune and I'm using a W56 in mine. Mine took a bit of cutting because the t case sits a bit flatter than a Suzuki and I refuse to do a body lift. You have a 3" body lift so you'll be fine. There also aren't many great clutches for the Suzuki stuff. Lot more options for Toyota but I'm struggling to find one that holds up long term. I've broken a spring and worn out the splines in the center. I have seen an r151f and r150f swap. Basically just the t case and shifter position that's the issue. Hydraulic clutch swap isn't too bad. Best to modify the firewall a bit and beef it up.

I'm using an acme adapter since the doomsday kit wasn't around at the time. I aligned it myself a few times. Had to redo it for the new engine. I just tipped the trans over 15 degrees too. Actually clears the floor better that way. Shifters I can bend back so they sit straight again.
Do you have any pictures of how much you had to trim for the w56, I am assuming it will be similar with the r151f.

Also, do you remember where you saw the r151f swap? Was there a build log on any of the forums for it? I am leaning towards the r151f. I just don't want to get too carried away with trimming the zuki up, a little for the shifters is all I want to do. I definitely don't want to have to get into the dash any. I am not even sure the doomsday adapters will work, I have an email into them right now to see what they offer.

I love these cars and have been wanting to do the diesel swap since I was 14. I am now 31 and at a point where I can start the project. To say I am excited would be an understatement lol!!

Suzuki_dude

TDI
'95 Sidekick

It's just a bit under the passenger seat. R151f is similar. I saw a guy on facebook do it. His pic was very similar to mine. Don't know if he had a build thread. I have a bit on here but mostly on zuwharrie.

You definitely will have to cut the dash unless you get really creative with the shifter. My W56 is a top shift which has the shifters farther back than an R151f. The trans shifter comes up under the dash about 3" ahead of the old trans shifter opening and my t case shifter comes up a couple inches back of the old trans opening. The old t case opening is unused. Doomsday adapter will work. They have adapters for the 4cyl and 6cyl toyota transmissions. If you talk to them directly you might be able to get a differently clocked one. I really wanted an R151f but they're so rare. In the back of my mind I'm thinking I really want one of the newer 6spd manuals. 1-5 follows almost identically with my W56 but with another gear on top.

I wanted a sidekick since I was 12 and my dad got a beater for us to drive around the yard. I got mine at 17 and had already been planning my swap for a couple years. Started my swap a couple years later. I've owned it longer with the diesel than with the gas. It really transforms it. Drives so much better. No longer struggling to keep up with traffic.

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
It's just a bit under the passenger seat. R151f is similar. I saw a guy on facebook do it. His pic was very similar to mine. Don't know if he had a build thread. I have a bit on here but mostly on zuwharrie.

You definitely will have to cut the dash unless you get really creative with the shifter. My W56 is a top shift which has the shifters farther back than an R151f. The trans shifter comes up under the dash about 3" ahead of the old trans shifter opening and my t case shifter comes up a couple inches back of the old trans opening. The old t case opening is unused. Doomsday adapter will work. They have adapters for the 4cyl and 6cyl toyota transmissions. If you talk to them directly you might be able to get a differently clocked one. I really wanted an R151f but they're so rare. In the back of my mind I'm thinking I really want one of the newer 6spd manuals. 1-5 follows almost identically with my W56 but with another gear on top.

I wanted a sidekick since I was 12 and my dad got a beater for us to drive around the yard. I got mine at 17 and had already been planning my swap for a couple years. Started my swap a couple years later. I've owned it longer with the diesel than with the gas. It really transforms it. Drives so much better. No longer struggling to keep up with traffic.
Do you think I'd have to still trim with the 3" body lift? Do you know if the shifter from the R150f sits further back than the R151f?

It'd be cool to know if the rc60f or rc61f has the same bolt pattern as the r151f and also if the transfer case could be swapped to passenger side. From pictures it also looks like the shifters are sitting further back.

That is awesome! My family has about 5 of these cars and we have all always loved them!

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I've towed 1100lb (it's only a 2dr) and it had zero issues passing with a trailer against a headwind.
That's a lot more feasible that the OP's plans

The car will be used as my daily driver, a weekend trail rig, and tow a boat (trailer and boat weighs about 3500#). I also live in a very hilly area, so I would still need to pull hills in 4th and 5th gears preferably.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Where are you finding the r151f? That's rare as hens teeth around here. The w56 falls out of trees when you shake them and the r150f is around if you look.

I hope that boat trailer has brakes! Or it's at least just short back road trips from your storage area to the boat ramp. SWB rigs are good for towing some jet ski or a small jon boat. The higher you lift them the worse they tow.

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
Where are you finding the r151f? That's rare as hens teeth around here. The w56 falls out of trees when you shake them and the r150f is around if you look.

I hope that boat trailer has brakes! Or it's at least just short back road trips from your storage area to the boat ramp. SWB rigs are good for towing some jet ski or a small jon boat. The higher you lift them the worse they tow.
I have seen a couple on ebay but if I went that route I'd get one from overseas. The rc60f and rc61f looks very promising but I don't know if a different style transfer case can be used and if it has the same bolt pattern as the r151f.

The 3500# was more of an estimate. I will occasionally pull a 12ft trailer with a ztr mower and sometimes a side-by-side. I also have a small jon boat. All on back roads at low speeds.

Braddman

TDI
2006 Audi A4 BHW 2.0 TDI, 2005 Toyota Tacoma BHW TDI Swap
For any of the guys drooling over 6 speed swaps, tell tdconversions to hurry up with their 1GR-FE adapter plate. Lol

The Toyota 1GR and 2GR engines are both the same bolt pattern. This will allow for 2nd, 3rd gen Tacoma and 1st gen FJ cruiser TDI swaps. It also allows for you guys to use the RA60F 2nd gen Tacoma 6 speed and RC62F 3rd gen Tacoma 6 speed and RA61F 1st gen FJ Cruiser 6 speed transmissions in your trucks. You will also be able to use RC60F/61F out of the 8th gen Hilux 6 speed but that means you would have to get it shipped across the pond.

To use any of these transmissions you will need a transfer case from a 2007-2014 FJ Cruiser that used to have a 6 speed manual transmission. This transfer case has the front drive shaft on the driver side which could pose a problem. All these 6 speeds have the 22 tooth spline output shaft the automatics had a different spine count. 2nd and 3rd gen Tacoma’s use electronic transfer cases.

The RC and RA bell housings are noticeably different then Toyota previous transmissions because the starter is on the drivers side, beside the TDI oil filter and they have a larger bolt pattern.

I know the RA60F is rated by Aisin for around 390lb/ft of torque, the other transmissions likely have the same rating. That’s like 250hp for our TDI’s.

This thread talks all about this https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/6-speed-shenanigans-ra60f-swap-to-rc62f.701237/ post #50 specifically talks about transmission compatibility.

Marlin crawler has a great page on transmission ratios https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/transmission/transmission-gear-ratio-chart.

Only one problem how deep are your pockets?

Last edited:

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
For any of the guys drooling over 6 speed swaps, tell tdconversions to hurry up with their 1GR-FE adapter plate. Lol

The Toyota 1GR and 2GR engines are both the same bolt pattern. This will allow for 2nd, 3rd gen Tacoma and 1st gen FJ cruiser TDI swaps. It also allows for you guys to use the RA60F 2nd gen Tacoma 6 speed and RC62F 3rd gen Tacoma 6 speed and RA61F 1st gen FJ Cruiser 6 speed transmissions in your trucks. You will also be able to use RC60F/61F out of the 8th gen Hilux 6 speed but that means you would have to get it shipped across the pond.

To use any of these transmissions you will need a transfer case from a 2007-2014 FJ Cruiser that used to have a 6 speed manual transmission. This transfer case has the front drive shaft on the driver side which could pose a problem. All these 6 speeds have the 22 tooth spline output shaft the automatics had a different spine count. 2nd and 3rd gen Tacoma’s use electronic transfer cases.

The RC and RA bell housings are noticeably different then Toyota previous transmissions because the starter is on the drivers side, beside the TDI oil filter and they have a larger bolt pattern.

I know the RA60F is rated by Aisin for around 390lb/ft of torque, the other transmissions likely have the same rating. That’s like 250hp for our TDI’s.

This thread talks all about this https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/6-speed-shenanigans-ra60f-swap-to-rc62f.701237/ post #50 specifically talks about transmission compatibility.

Marlin crawler has a great page on transmission ratios https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/transmission/transmission-gear-ratio-chart.

This is wonderful information! Thank you so much!

Any idea if you can get a passenger side transfer case for the 61f or 62f?

Exactly, I am debating if the RC61F is worth getting shipped. I can get one at my doorstep for 3.5K but that would buy three or four suzuki transmissions and a whole bunch of rebuild kits. One of my biggest reservation on this is the cutting of the dash to make room for the shifter and of course the cost.

At this point I am just trying to figure out if there is a transmission that is a direct replacement from a newer similar car for the stock suzuki that will handle more power and doesn't require much trimming.

Last edited:

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
Didn't the early 1.3L come with something like 3.73s?
Yes on the Samurai's and the front will work with the Sidekick but the rear on the sidekick is completely different, apparently.

But with that said, I wasn't aware of the 4.30s available in the sidekicks. This should have me at ~2350 rpm at 65 and ~2550rpm at 70, which is a lot closer to the stock VW values.

Pretty excited about this information :) !

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Yes on the Samurai's and the front will work with the Sidekick but the rear on the sidekick is completely different, apparently.
Probably the spline issue.... the front is 22 and the rear is 26

Suzuki_dude

TDI
'95 Sidekick
Do you think I'd have to still trim with the 3" body lift? Do you know if the shifter from the R150f sits further back than the R151f?
No you shouldn't have to at all. I'm not sure about those. I think those are both forward shift.

But with that said, I wasn't aware of the 4.30s available in the sidekicks. This should have me at ~2350 rpm at 65 and ~2550rpm at 70, which is a lot closer to the stock VW values.

Pretty excited about this information :) !
Samurai is a 6.7" ring gear front and rear. Sidekick is 6.7" front and 7.5" rear. Splines are irrelevant.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI

It'd be cool to know if the rc60f or rc61f has the same bolt pattern as the r151f and also if the transfer case could be swapped to passenger side. From pictures it also looks like the shifters are sitting further back.

That is awesome! My family has about 5 of these cars and we have all always loved them!
The R151 and R150 are identical from the outside for a given year and application, though transfer adapters change with application. Shifter placement varies with transfer adapter; the chain drive t-case versions have the shifter slightly further back than the split case versions. The major difference between the two is gear ratio: the 151 has lower 1st and 2nd ratios than the 150, 3-5 are the same. I have an R150f and find that 1st and 2nd are just fine, any lower and 1st wouldn't really be useable for daily driving. Off road it would be nice to have lower ratios, but it hasn't been an issue for me so far.

The R151f can be found (rarely) in the 1986-1987 Toyota turbo pickup, and more commonly in 1999+ 70-Series LandCruisers. These can be sourced from trucks used in mines in the US and Canada, and can even be purchased new from Toyota.

The R150f is common in the 3.0 and 3.4 V6 4Runners, Pickups, T100's and some early Tundras. If you want to install the higher overdrive in an R150 or R151 (0.69:1 instead of 0.838:1) you will need a 1996+ transmission as pretty much everything internally was redesigned and parts are not interchangeable.

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
While not a Sidekick, I do have an ALH CJ7. Mine currently is an 11mm, .260 injectors, and GTD1756VK turbo. I can hit full tuned boost by 1900-1950 RPMs (30 PSI out of 34 PSI). I have about 4.5" of combined lift (spring 2.5, body 1.5 and shackle 3/4) w/ 3.31 gears, although I'm just finishing up a 4.10 swap w/ locker in the front and one piece axles in the rear and will run 33" tires. With my current tires I can cruise at 70-75 MPH and be around 750-800F on my EGT here in the flatlands of NC. I can push it and get to about 1,000F. I have another motor with a brand new 12mm mTDI pump that I'm going to be trying with a Holset HE200WG 5CM in the CJ to see if I prefer mTDI in the CJ due to water ingress concerns.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Doesn't the land cruiser r151f have a passenger offset rear differential vs the Toyota truck/4runner has the centered rear differential?

Passanger side for those of us that drive on the left.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Doesn't the land cruiser r151f have a passenger offset rear differential vs the Toyota truck/4runner has the centered rear differential?

Passanger side for those of us that drive on the left.
That's correct, I had forgotten about the different offset.

Braddman

TDI
I found the solution to install a transfer case with passenger side front drive shaft on the back of an RA60F/61F or RC60F/61F/62F. You will need the front half of a 1GR or 2GR crawl box adapter from Marlin Crawl #IGTC-133 https://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/adapters/bolt-pattern/4-0-liter-1gr-manual-ig31. Here is the thread on installing that adapter https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100408.msg1141889#msg1141889.

You can then use a 1979-1995 Toyota 23 spline transfer case. If you have a 21 spline transfer case you can convert it to 23 spline with Marlin Crawler’s transfer case input shaft https://www.marlincrawler.com/trans...ear-drive/competition-total-spline-input-gear.

Here is a good transfer case reference page https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/transfercase/transfer-case-bible.

The only issue I see now is that the 6 speed transmissions are a bit bigger so hopefully it clears your transmission tunnel, you will also likely need driveshaft lengths changed.

Who will be the second guy to do a documented, TDI swapped, 6 speed Toyota?

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I found the solution to install a transfer case with passenger side front drive shaft on the back of an RA60F/61F or RC60F/61F/62F. You will need the front half of a 1GR or 2GR crawl box adapter from Marlin Crawl #IGTC-133 https://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/adapters/bolt-pattern/4-0-liter-1gr-manual-ig31. Here is the thread on installing that adapter https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100408.msg1141889#msg1141889.

You can then use a 1979-1995 Toyota 23 spline transfer case. If you have a 21 spline transfer case you can convert it to 23 spline with Marlin Crawler’s transfer case input shaft https://www.marlincrawler.com/trans...ear-drive/competition-total-spline-input-gear.

Here is a good transfer case reference page https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/transfercase/transfer-case-bible.

The only issue I see now is that the 6 speed transmissions are a bit bigger so hopefully it clears your transmission tunnel, you will also likely need driveshaft lengths changed.

Very cool! With the appropriate engine adapter that looks like it would make a sweet setup. I'd love to do that swap, but unfortunately my transfer case is the LandCruiser "split case" which is different than the 23-spline gear driven transfer cases used in other Toyotas and has RH offset for both front and rear driveshafts. Maybe someday when I have the capability to make my own adapters!

Chuck78

TDI
Suzuki Samurai LWB / 1.9mTDI project, '02 1.9TDI Jetta Wagon Stage 1 tuned, '82 Rabbit Pickup 1.6TD
zuk isn't very heavy. My 3500 some odd lbs 2.0 bhw powered passat with stage 2 tune pushes me at 75 @3000 rpms with plenty of power to spare.

Hey, thanks for that info!
It's not a priority, but we just picked up an '88 22RE Toyota short bed standard cab pickup for my wife (who loves VW diesels), and had already been considering TDI swapping it. It's got the W56 5 speed attached to the standard 85-88 EFI engine'd RF3 transfer case. I figured I might want to consider swapping an R150F into it, but now that this solution popped up, I might highly consider looking for a 2016+ 6 speed if we can keep the passenger drop t-case!
Are those transmissions shorter length than the older R-Series? You say they are larger (width I am assuming), but RC stands for R-series COMPACT, vs the older standard R-series R150F R151F AX-15 Jeep Isuzu Supra Turbo R154 Colorado/Canyon/H2 & 2005+ R153(?) Taco etc versions.

Chuck78

TDI
Suzuki Samurai LWB / 1.9mTDI project, '02 1.9TDI Jetta Wagon Stage 1 tuned, '82 Rabbit Pickup 1.6TD
Very cool! With the appropriate engine adapter that looks like it would make a sweet setup. I'd love to do that swap, but unfortunately my transfer case is the LandCruiser "split case" which is different than the 23-spline gear driven transfer cases used in other Toyotas and has RH offset for both front and rear driveshafts. Maybe someday when I have the capability to make my own adapters!
I've got a 2009 Land Cruiser HZJ79 Canadian mining truck's R151F transmission and manual shift HF1A "splitcase" transfer cases sitting next to my Suzuki Samurai TDI swap project. It came from a salt mine operation, so I've got to replace or acid dip and nickel plate the driveshaft flanges and shift rods as they got pretty rusty... as well as really blast off the exterior aluminum case due to the salt.
It's only got 28,000 miles (ALL IN 4WHL LOW RANGE! It came with a brand new 13 yr old transfer case shifter which was removed once put into operation, to limit speeds).
The pilot bearing went out when they decided to pull it from service and decided it was a good time to part out the work truck. Input shaft was gouged, so I'm swapping a late '94 / early 1995 short input shaft into it and using a 22RTEC turbo R151F bellhousing on it to save mounting length.

It's a fairly standard 2.28:1 low range, and I can get 3:1 gears, and also 4.05:1 low range gears which require using either 10% underdrive or 10% overdrive high range gears. 4:1 is really tempting for the splitcase, but I also have the R452 0.695:1 5th gear swap parts from the Pirate4x4 and IH8Mud forum posts where RBX and I discussed at great length the swap into the newer Land Cruiser variants of the R-series transmissions, post-3.4L Taco/4Runner era R150 internals as far as revisions go.
You could potentially fit those 4:1 gears and a 10% overdrive high range gearset into your case but that'll affect all gears in high range, so it'd take the edge off of your 4.88 diffs when taking off from a stop. That'd get your highway rpm even lower if desired.

cgi2099, the R150 and R151 definitely have slightly larger main cases than the W56 transmission. In a tiny Samurai, this means the entire transmission tunnel needs widened. It "might" squeeze by in a Sidekick, whose little 5 speed transmission is a decent bit wider and a lot longer than the Samurai gearbox, but I don't have any firsthand or secondhand experience with the fitment of the R-series into a Sidekick/Tracker though.

Braddman

TDI
Hey, thanks for that info!
It's not a priority, but we just picked up an '88 22RE Toyota short bed standard cab pickup for my wife (who loves VW diesels), and had already been considering TDI swapping it. It's got the W56 5 speed attached to the standard 85-88 EFI engine'd RF3 transfer case. I figured I might want to consider swapping an R150F into it, but now that this solution popped up, I might highly consider looking for a 2016+ 6 speed if we can keep the passenger drop t-case!
Are those transmissions shorter length than the older R-Series? You say they are larger (width I am assuming), but RC stands for R-series COMPACT, vs the older standard R-series R150F R151F AX-15 Jeep Isuzu Supra Turbo R154 Colorado/Canyon/H2 & 2005+ R153(?) Taco etc versions.
The Toyota RA60F/61F and RC60F/61F/62F bell housings are 17” wide measure from starter bulge to the opposite side, by 16” high. The RA transmissions are 27” long and RC ones are 28” long.

I found that .695 5th gear swap thread for the R150/151 that looks like it might be a more cost effective option than a 6 speed swap. https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/toyota-r-series-gearbox-r150-r151-r452-dyna-5th-gear-swap.2000978/

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I wish the r150 was a little longer for my application. The pd motor means moving everything forward to give you room to access the tandem pump in the future. I have a 2 inch ball joint spacer with drop spacers, the hybrid low profile pan, 2 inch body lift and OME 2.5 lift springs/1.5 over stock shackles.

I rased my motor and engine with the body lift to better clear the front diff, I still ended up having to remount the steering damper mount on the frame.

I ended up with stupid angles for my rear drive shaft as well as too long for stock without 4 inches of drive shaft spacers. The solution was a 3rd gen double cardan drive shaft for a 5 speed 4x4. Legnth was dead on and DC made the angle acceptable.

I cannot remember if I used a stock 1st gen automatic or 5speed front drive shaft.

I could have cut out and boxed my firewall to keep the engine back more but I still have plenty of clearance for my shifters.

It's easier to clear a diesel engine with a solid axle.