97 Passat B4 Wagon rear trim removal question

loukytdi

TDI
1979 Rabbit Diesel, 1982 Caddy Diesel, 1997 Passat ALH TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta ALH TDI Wagon, 2012 Audi A3, Black, Titanium Package, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI, 2013 Audi A3 8P (all sold), 2015 Golf SE 6M TDI
I'm currently prepping my 97 TDI wagon for new suspension, which in the rear requires the removal of lots of trim. I've seen write-ups on vwvortex http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5263389-Diy-passat-wagon-coilover-install and myturbodiesel http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a3b4/b4-wagon-trim-removal.htm that describe the process, and I'm following them, but I have run up against a problem. There is a trim piece that is on top of the housing for the seat belt mechanism, made of black plastic, and for the life of me I can't get it loose. You're supposed to be able to lift it "up and out," but I nearly broke one of them yesterday. Is there a trick to this or a site anyone can point me to?

Thanks,

David Dillard
Louisville

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
I'm using epoxy and putty stuff to reinforce the mounting points...these are what r breaking on mine...as well as just cracking in general...

loukytdi

TDI
1979 Rabbit Diesel, 1982 Caddy Diesel, 1997 Passat ALH TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta ALH TDI Wagon, 2012 Audi A3, Black, Titanium Package, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI, 2013 Audi A3 8P (all sold), 2015 Golf SE 6M TDI
Lug Nut's write up showed the pry point. Once I had that, the pieces popped right off. My plastic is brittle, but it's not cracking as much as I thought, thank God. We'll see what happens when reassembly time comes.

luceberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Estate
I have been frustrated by this problem in the past, so here is a more detailed description for future reference.

The square hole in the metal upright is where the release tab is located.

The screwdriver is inserted down here and under the belt. You are looking for this square hole with the tip of the screwdriver, to press out the tab.

This gives an idea of how the cover locates.