97 Passat B4 - Seat heater burnt a hole through the seat . Recall?

rsd

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat Wagon TDI
Hello,

I turned my car on to let it warm up tonight and when I returned the passenger side seat heater (set to 3) had burnt a hole through the front of the seat. I'm lucky nothing caught fire and the damage wasn't worse but I'm sure this isn't normal and a definite safety hazard.

Is there a recall for this problem? I probably need a new seat on the passenger side now. Who should I report it to?

Andre
Montreal, Quebec

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Report it to your insurance company. Prepare for a premium increase.
Don't say to them that the vehicle was unoccupied. Say that the passenger got out and the right seat was then unoccupied. Say that you didn't notice that the passenger's heater was turned on. Say the heater malfunctioned while you were driving. Say that you didn't see the seat discoloring from the heat because of the darkness in the car that night. Say that at first you presumed the slight odor you barely detected (you had a cold) was from the vehicle ahead of you.
Does the owner's manual not have warnings about leaving the vehicle or seat heater running while unattended?
Likewise, I should turn off the water to the clothes washer when it is not in use.

rsd

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat Wagon TDI
Lug_Nut said:
..Does the owner's manual not have warnings about leaving the vehicle or seat heater running while unattended?
Thanks Lug Nut,

I bought the car second hand and it didn't come with an owner's manual, so I'm not sure what it says about seat heaters un-attended. I'm assuming that the thermostat was faulty and let the heating element heat to a temp that cook foam and fabric. I'm going to check the fuse to see if it burnt out.

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Saab (and presumably some other manufacturers) seat heaters have weight-activated shutoff switches in the seats. I'm suprised Passats apparently don't.

wastegate

TDI
1995 passat wagon grey
same problem here

My driver side seat did the same thing ; burnt a hole in the seat. b4 1995 passat wagon.

dld

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon, Blue Graphite, Anthracite leather, sunroof and 99 New Beetle, Purple
Passat heated seats

The heated seat on our 97 Passat (cloth) was replaced under a recall, no charge to me, in the fall of 2003. Your dealer should know about the recall, or call VW Canada. I don't think there was a time or mileage limit.

Doug