'97 Jetta Door Strips Won't Stay On

tom

Veteran Member
Re: \'97 Jetta Door Strips Won\'t Stay On

My 98 has the same strips (glued on). You just have to find the proper glue. Mine have had to be touched up in a spot or two but OK for now.

Boundless

BANNED

I used that black weatherstripping adhesive/RTV. The stuff that never hardens but stays pliable.

Dmorocco

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon GLS, Silver

I used plumbers goop / or marine goop on my 98 when i still had it. the goop is available at home depot. Worked great on my jetta as well as both of my neighbors jettas

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3

The factory side moldings after 1995 are a real PITA. They quit using the textured black clip on style for the type with the two-sided adhesive tape. There's not much you can do about it other then replace the tape and make sure you use a wax and grease remover on the paint and molding before installing the tape.

I have seen many JIII's with their moldings falling off or gone, when I got my car one of the side moldings was barely on there.

good luck

steve a

[ December 19, 2002, 17:26: Message edited by: Steve Addy ]

CAPwTDIs

\'97 Jetta Door Strips Won\'t Stay On

Does anyone have suggestions for how to keep the plastic door strips from falling off? Apparently they were glued on at the factory instead of using clips. I have seen many '97 Jettas in my area without them, and they look quite unattractive with the little holes showing along the middle of the doors. Any advice would be appreciated.