'97 AHU into ’81 Rabbit LX

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Went back to the JY for the Jetta TDI engine harness. Picked a day that was close to 100° and got a minor case of heatstroke....

Stripped the headlight harness, thinking I may want to use it in the Rabbit. For those that start with this harness for their projects, what a headache...

Being a glutton for punishment, I cleaned out 2 more harnesses from the B4. I was able to get some decent lengths and colors to stitch into my harnesses. I haven’t been using too much of the purchased wire.

I think I’ve crossed the midpoint with lengthening the engine harness. Will need to start putting the engine together to establish final lengths, before terminating the other side of the Weatherpacks.

-Todd

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
Your project is looking very clean.
...and I hear ya on the harness(even more difficult when you have no idea what the plugs were plugged into.)

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks. I couldn’t imagine doing this, if I didn’t pull the harnesses or at least have the wire diagrams, but there isn’t really too much in the engine harness, that’s required to get the engine to run.

Somewhat project related. I had a hemlock taken down about a month ago. I couldn’t get the guy back out to grind the stump, so I ended up calling someone else.

I’ve been wanting to get the driveway widened. I was tired of all of the pollen and tiny pine cones that were always finding their way into the rain trays and body gaps... also tired of parking on the dirt and having mud splash on cars, when it rains.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I can sympathize with you, I have three mature white pines always dropping needles and cones all over the place, plus if you park under one and it's hot out be prepared for some sap on the body, one reason when I'm home the car is in the garage.

Can't say I'm going to be too upset when I sell this place, I'm just not motivated to work on it much anymore...

Steve

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Alright Todd-The-Thorough, how do you plan on testing the wiring harness prior to actually starting the car? Ohmmeter on each end of each wire? Hook it up to a battery, old fuse box, and ignition switch and measure voltages at sensors?

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I suppose I could do all of that... it wouldn’t really be that difficult.

Seriously, I was just planning on inserting, them turning the key.

Since my last post, I think I terminated another Weatherpack housing and added to my Weatherpack legend. .... slow progress.

-Todd

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Todd:

Just found your thread. I am not impressed with your persistence and attention to detail, I am in AWE. I think you may well end up with the finest A1 on the planet.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lol, I appreciate the comment, but I seriously doubt it!

In other news, I found a patch of rust bubbling on the rear pan, at the bumper receiver. That’ll need to be ground out, before it spreads.

I went into the shed that stores my interior and found chipmunks made several nests.... no clue how they got in. There were some ant nests too, which was pretty gross. They felt my vengeful Ortho treatment.

The chipmunks ate the vinyl from the door panels, ripped apart the jute padding for the hatch carpet, ate a hole in my perfect rear seat, pissed all over my cleaned carpet, etc. Makes me wonder what’s going on in the B4 shed...

A lot went into the trash. Any cardboard boxes were tossed and all parts (that fit) went into plastic tubs. The front seats and resprayed dash still look decent, but I didn’t go over them. At this point, I may go with red GTI seats, from the crawl space, but that’ll likely be a decade from now.

I’ll be building some shelving for organization.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Lol, I appreciate the comment, but I seriously doubt it!

In other news, I found a patch of rust bubbling on the rear pan, at the bumper receiver. That’ll need to be ground out, before it spreads.

I went into the shed that stores my interior and found chipmunks made several nests.... no clue how they got in. There were some ant nests too, which was pretty gross. They felt my vengeful Ortho treatment.

The chipmunks ate the vinyl from the door panels, ripped apart the jute padding for the hatch carpet, ate a hole in my perfect rear seat, pissed all over my cleaned carpet, etc. Makes me wonder what’s going on in the B4 shed...

A lot went into the trash. Any cardboard boxes were tossed and all parts (that fit) went into plastic tubs. The front seats and resprayed dash still look decent, but I didn’t go over them. At this point, I may go with red GTI seats, from the crawl space, but that’ll likely be a decade from now.

I’ll be building some shelving for organization.

-Todd
Sorry to hear about your losses. We have way too many chipmunks and squinnies here and they just ruin so much. I think half the concrete slab for the garage is sinking because they've tunneled under it extensively. Once it cracked it's just been settling even further.

When I had a cat they were kept at bay, same with the squirrels who like to dig in the ground looking for nuts, but now that she's gone the rodents have free reign to do as they wish, and they are!

As for storage, plastic tubs are awsome, and cheap for storing things you don't want rodent urine to hit. As for the large things that don't fit I'm not sure what to do. Door cards just don't fit in anything reasonable, at least the molded ones anyway. Seats are another thing that almost have to go inside somewhere.

Rodents are always trying to weasel their way inside something, especially this time of year where we're heading into winter. That's when you really have to watch out!

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I feel awful... I haven’t done anything to the car in months. The only thing I’ve done is getting the water out of the hatch, after a heavy downpour.

To make it worse, I bought a ‘84 GTI, on Saturday. I can’t get GTIs, out of my system. Need to swap a drive flange, then I can register it, and start driving it.

-Todd

IdontownaVW

TDI
MK1 AHU, Colorado Duramax
I feel awful... I haven’t done anything to the car in months. The only thing I’ve done is getting the water out of the hatch, after a heavy downpour.

To make it worse, I bought a ‘84 GTI, on Saturday. I can’t get GTIs, out of my system. Need to swap a drive flange, then I can register it, and start driving it.

-Todd
Completely understandable, I have a water leak in the hatch still for some reason myself, everything's new so not sure what the heck is going on. :p

I would love another mk1 GTI myself, unfortunately I'd have to offload my G8 as soon as possible before I get into another project.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The obvious hatch leak culprits are the body seal, hatch hinges, defrost wiring boots and the tail light seals.

If you installed a headliner, be sure the fabric isn’t too long and allowing water to wick in.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Minor update. I’m sure most of you go through the cleaning process then find your clean hardware is now rusted. My new hobby...

First batch.... a little too dark

At this posting, I’m still plating. I can’t begin to qualify my time in this. I was hoping the vibratory tumbler would make this as labor free as possible. I still needed the blast cabinet and wire wheel time.

Realistically speaking, 99% of these parts are for the new GTI. A few things are for the project car, so this post is permissible.

I think I officially hate my new hobby.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Went back to the JY for the Jetta TDI engine harness. Picked a day that was close to 100° and got a minor case of heatstroke....
Stripped the headlight harness, thinking I may want to use it in the Rabbit. For those that start with this harness for their projects, what a headache...
-Todd
I started with that harness and went the same route you did, fortunately on my project I didn't have to shorten or lengthen anything to make it work. The B3 is very similar to MK3 at the cowl so it was close enough to use "as-is." I did have to strip out all the excess garbage though, like headlight harness etc. Those things weren't necessary and wouldn't have worked out the way I wanted.

Have to say that moving on to plating is an interesting turn of events for the project. I had no idea that it was going to go like this.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow, you dredged up an old post. I haven’t plated anything since that batch, lol. I’ve been considering making a basket plater, to speed the process.

In TDI news.... nothing. I’ve been driving the new GTI, every chance I get and I’m in the middle of assembling a larger engine for it. It’s been stealing all of my attention.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
So did you finish Goldie or did you cast her aside for this new pretty thing...that's getting a larger engine?

Old? It was just beginning of April...that's hardly old in my book. Old post for me is like responding to a 5 year old one...but really not recognizing it as being 5 years old...lol

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That Jetta harness post was from last summer.

Lol, calling me out about the lack of project progress ?

Goldie aka Göld Rüsh, hasn’t been forgotten.... I walk past it, every time I go into the garage. Her time will come.

This new GTI is far from pretty, but it is stealing all of my spare time. Got some seat parts back from the upholstery shop, and installed the EBay heating pads and reassembled the front seats.

Modified my window regulators and wired up the B3 relay box. Got the PS window working and buttoned up... maybe I should start a build/sell thread for this car.

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Oh Todd, you are among the very few great threads I look forward to seeing updates on. I look forward to seeing progress in the years to come. Can't put a time limit on the ones you love. God speed sir.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
That Jetta harness post was from last summer.
Lol, calling me out about the lack of project progress ?
Goldie aka Göld Rüsh, hasn’t been forgotten.... I walk past it, every time I go into the garage. Her time will come.
This new GTI is far from pretty, but it is stealing all of my spare time. Got some seat parts back from the upholstery shop, and installed the EBay heating pads and reassembled the front seats.
Modified my window regulators and wired up the B3 relay box. Got the PS window working and buttoned up... maybe I should start a build/sell thread for this car.
-Todd
Not being critical, just posting up wondering what was going on. I know too well that sometimes situations change and we have to alter course.

I hope that Gold Rush doesn't get forgotten now with this other GTI that showed up!

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not really an update....other cars have been stealing my time.

Geez, it’s been over 5 years since I got the car painted, and I don’t think I ever washed it. Saturday, I spent a couple hours getting the caked on pollen and tree pitch off, and hosed out the rain tray area and bay... tons of garbage in there. Last night, I ran a clay towel over the car, then a quick coat of Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax over the car. I’d forgotten what it can look like.

Paint did need polishing, as I’m seeing some staining in the CC. The paint was never buffed out, by the shop. Also seeing some new rust creeping through the rear pan...

I’ll now keep up on the cleaning.

-Todd

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
This makes me not feel so bad... my 1980 mk1 caddy ahu swap has been waiting just two years... but I currently own 11 cars, so I have also had divided attention. My wife and I sat down and made a list finally of which ones to do first... the poor caddy is down near the bottom of the list right now.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I am just about done wrapping up my first project (MK2 Golf ALH) and I, a couple months ago bought another B4V (my 2nd), my fiance said I am not allowed to have any more cars unless it's a vanagon. But that's okay, I dont have the space and I can only drive one at a time right?

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Resident slacker here... Today to date is exactly a year since I drove an ALH donor home for my project, and I just got done cleaning the transmission and painting the block.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’m glad my lack of progress makes some of you feel better, haha.

Can’t truly say I did nothing... these are some parts which got done, as I was working on the GTI’s shiny bits. Some of you may recognize these parts...

Since I’ve been driving 2 gassers, recently, I’ve definitely been at the pump more often.

-Todd

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I’m glad my lack of progress makes some of you feel better, haha.

Can’t truly say I did nothing... these are some parts which got done, as I was working on the GTI’s shiny bits. Some of you may recognize these parts...

Since I’ve been driving 2 gassers, recently, I’ve definitely been at the pump more often.

-Todd
Those look great! How did you plate them?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks... very labor intensive. Chemicals were purchased from, Caswell Plating.

-Todd

TDI
1998 vw tdi
Todd. I am in the middle of an AHU swap on my caddy and I was wondering if you have done your A/C lines yet. I would like to see them if you have