'96 Wrecked Passat

mudracer67

\'96 Wrecked Passat

Hey guys,

I need your opinion on a car I saw the other day. It's a 1996 maroon Passat TDI with the rear end all smashed in, but it still has a clean title. The body shop is going to cut the trunk off (very clean break points) and put on a whole new one. Aside from that problem, the car is in perfect condition. Basically, it's stripped except with p/w and moonroof. It has 60,000 miles and I got the body shop down top 12,800. My friend bought a wrecked (clean title) '98 Jetta from them and you can't even tell where it was hit. I wondering if the car is still a bit pricey or should I just go out on a whim and buy the damn thing?

------------------
Wish I had one of these bad boys...

Bry

Re: \'96 Wrecked Passat

Well, I own a 1996 Passat TDI that is a metallic burgundy and purchased it nearly a year ago for not much more than they're asking for the wrecked one. I love the car, and to be honest, I got a steal on the one I purchased. I've since put 18K on it in 11 months. I do know from prior experience with German cars that replacement parts aren't cheap, and putting on a whole new end can get pricey without even addressing labor costs of collision damage. I'd haggle a bit, they're definately coming out ahead as is.

------------------
96 Passat TDI (sedan)

redtdi96

Veteran Member

My gut feel too much. Check edmunds or kelly I would go for trade - 15-20 %. Also wait until it is finished to test-drive etc.

If the car was totalled he most likely bought it for ~10% of value (between trade and retail). My wife wrecked he car and it was an economic total, it could be fixed but was not worth it.
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Atlantis/6157/passat/Passat.htm
You said clean title.....make sure it has no hints of SALVAGE or you will have a very hard time selling.

------------------
96 passat tdi, 95 passat GLX, 1982 Fiat 2000

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke

What was it with these Pearl Red (a.k.a. maroon / metaqllic burgundy)B4s getting rear ended? Mine has evidence of something unusual occuring at the back end. Overspray, areas where the primer shows through, broken reflector behind perfect rear fog lens. A title search indicated that the car was sold at auction 6 months after original purchase, then resold 5 months later with no additional miles during this time. So, How would you interpret this information?

Mike Roberts

The car is way over priced! I know where you can get a real light hit front end 97 TDI for $4200! It has less then 50K on the odometer. I already located a donor front end for $3000 including bags and the clock for the bags. There would probably be less than 1K in paint work, and a little of your labor. I can't afford it right now, unless you want to buy my 96 TDI Wagon for 11K. Whatever you do, you can't go wrong, they are great cars, and will go forever if maintained.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI

Mine was owned by VW and used in the midwest
to go from dealer to dealer... Then sold to a VW employee after 7 months and 15000 miles
He kept the car for 7 months and 3000 miles and sold it to a used car dealer who kept it for 5 months and 2000 miles and sold it to me. I have found evidence of overspray in several areas and the windshield was replaced but the 2 previous owners say the car wasn't wrecked! But I'm happy with it anyway 1 year and 16000 miles later no problems.
Tom Walker
1997 VW passat TDI