96 TDI Need Help

joshdevries

TDI
1996 VW Passat 1.9l
I’ve ran into some issues with my 1996 VW Passat 1.9 TDI while out of town. Needing some help as I haven’t found much on this topic.
2 weeks ago I had a belt chirp start. I replaced the Balancer, Alternator Clutch Pulley, and the AC Compressor. Been driving the car and haven’t had any issues….until now.
Had a difficult time yesterday morning starting. I thought maybe it was just b try to ecause it was a little chilly and I hadn’t drove it in a couple days.
As I continue to drive the car anytime I lift my foot of the pedal I loose all throttle control, until I push the clutch in and the rpm’s will fall to 1k ish and then I’ll have full control of the throttle again.
While the car has a “dead pedal” she’s dumping clouds of white smoke and if I try to force throttle the car will pop and almost sound like she’s 2 stepping.
Need some help if anyone has had any similar experiences. I’ve seen some forums that are similar but there’s no answer as to what fixed the problem.
thanks

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Why did you replace all those parts? where any of them bad? Typically the ballancer and tensioner are suspect and a good idea to repalce when the chirp starts happening... but the AC compressor? do you mean just the AC clutch or the entire thing?

the 2nd issue is probably unrelated to all those parts you replaced.
White smoke like a cloud (coolant) or grey smoke (oil) or blue white smoke (fuel)?
either a head gasket, blown turbo, or over fueling issue... very hard to tell with out some more data... i would have it towned to a trusted TDI mechanic from our trusted mechanics page on TDI 101. this sounds really bad and i would not drive it until its fixed or diagnosed.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have not had that issue, but the brake pedal will give you a dead throttle, and the brake and clutch will disable the cruise control. If you have a Vag-Com (VCDS), you can monitor the brake and throttle pedals in real time, so I’d start there. If you don’t have one then that’s the first thing I’d get or borrow.

joshdevries

TDI
1996 VW Passat 1.9l
I replaced the AC Compressor not related to the chirp. Balancer and clutched alternator pulley is what fixed the chirp. I know it’s not related was just trying to give all the information I’ve got.
I’ve got a pretty good grasp of the mechanical system and I’m not too worried about the actual replacement of the parts. I’m more trying to get some help from everyone here if they’ve had similar issues or could point me in a possible direction.
It’s been hard for me to self diagnose on the side of the road being stranded 12 hours from home,
I had the car towed to a friends in the local area and I’ve got to head back home.
Thank you for the reply. I will look into some of the mechanics and the TDI gurus and see if I can come up with a game plan.

joshdevries

TDI
1996 VW Passat 1.9l
I have not had that issue, but the brake pedal will give you a dead throttle, and the brake and clutch will disable the cruise control. If you have a Vag-Com (VCDS), you can monitor the brake and throttle pedals in real time, so I’d start there. If you don’t have one then that’s the first thing I’d get or borrow.
My cruise control did stop working about 3 months ago. But didn’t think anything of that.

TDeanI

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI Wagon w/ 286K mi.
I would bet that something became unplugged or disconnected while doing the pulley work. Is your intercooler piping all connected tight by the intercooler? A medium sized boost leak will give you symptoms similar, the motor can overcome the boost leak while driving, but struggles to run well enough to build boost.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
Any codes in the ECU?
Are there air bubble in the fuel lines, especially after sitting? How old are the pump seals?

Check all the cruise control inputs on VCDS like Abacus said. 2 switches for the brake, one for the clutch, and one for each of the control stalk switches and buttons. Use VCDS to see if inputs from the accelerator pedal are consistent as you press the pedal.