96 passat won't fire up/racking pinion wear damage

TDI
'96 passat
Howdy y'all. For a couple months now my car has been making a clicking sound while I am driving and in gear. No sound when in neutral and moving. My procrastinatin' ass finally got around to doing something about it this weekend with a little encouragement from a coworker who heard my car and said it is most likely a cv joint issue.

So I bought both cv axles and replaced them over the weekend. I noticed while under the car that the two bolts holding down the driver's side of the power steering assembly were loose (like jiggling around loose), and I also noticed massive gashes in the metal of the rack and pinion ( I think this is what this is called) where the boot would normally cover the joint between the rack and pinion. I would say this must be what is causing the noise while driving, and it looks pretty darn bad. My question is doesthis mean I need to replace the entire power steering unit, and how hard of a job is this? The CV axles were probably the biggest job I have done on a car, which felt good, but potentially getting to the point where I might just take it to a shop if it's too much for my plate.

To top all of this off, last week my check engine light came on one day when leaving work, and I also noticed a little more resistance in the engine firing up than usual. Right after replacing CV axles I went for a test drive and yes still heard the clicking noise, and as soon as I got back up the driveway and got ready to shut the car off it shut itself off for me and has not started since then. The engine cranks but nothing catches and it doesn't fully fire up. I have been reading into relay 109 and plan on getting one of those first and continuing from there.

Any advice or help greatly appreciated. Obviously the main issue is to get the car running again... and then tackle the clicking sound.

Thank you