96 Passat Wagon

dbrn55

TDI
96 Passat Wagon
Is pimp my ride still taking applications? Got my hands on this a few weeks ago. Had been sitting in a barn. Needs some cleaning up but in relatively good shape from what I can tell. My first VW and TDI experience. Should be interesting.... 139,000 miles. Been sitting for a few years. After checking fluids and installing a new battery it started right up. Very little white smoke.

Last edited:

dbrn55

TDI
96 Passat Wagon
Hmmm...I'm seeing a reason for editing : Picture but I'm not seeing one.

Steve
My apologies. It's been years since I've posted in forums like these. Just tried something different. Not sure what is harder. Relearning how to use these forums or troubleshooting my new ride. Reading up on timing belt stuff tonight. Mileage is saying I don't have to change it but I'm understanding that if it's more then 5 years old it should be changed regardless of miles.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
My apologies. It's been years since I've posted in forums like these. Just tried something different. Not sure what is harder. Relearning how to use these forums or troubleshooting my new ride. Reading up on timing belt stuff tonight. Mileage is saying I don't have to change it but I'm understanding that if it's more then 5 years old it should be changed regardless of miles.
5 yrs. or 60k miles for the B4/A3 platform(1z/AHU motor).Get some fresh diesel in the tank.Change fuel filter and do an oil change-Rotella T-6 5w-40(blue jug).Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40,and I think Delo has a full syn available now-these 3 are the most easily accessible,Wal Mart usually cheapest.Order parts from trusted vendors listed on here,avoid ANY cheap parts from a character named prothe,Rothenbacher Engineering,Hans,and some other names he goes buy-just type any of those names into search and you'll see the horror stories. I personally have dealt w/ Bora parts(now Cascade German Parts),Dieselgeek,IDParts,Metalman-I highly recommend them all. Make sure you have a good battery-the clusters in the 96 Passats do not like low voltage-it fries them. Congrats on your find and welcome to the Club! I wish I could've found a nice wagon like that:mad:....

dbrn55

TDI
96 Passat Wagon
5 yrs. or 60k miles for the B4/A3 platform(1z/AHU motor).Get some fresh diesel in the tank.Change fuel filter and do an oil change-Rotella T-6 5w-40(blue jug).Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40,and I think Delo has a full syn available now-these 3 are the most easily accessible,Wal Mart usually cheapest.Order parts from trusted vendors listed on here,avoid ANY cheap parts from a character named prothe,Rothenbacher Engineering,Hans,and some other names he goes buy-just type any of those names into search and you'll see the horror stories. I personally have dealt w/ Bora parts(now Cascade German Parts),Dieselgeek,IDParts,Metalman-I highly recommend them all. Make sure you have a good battery-the clusters in the 96 Passats do not like low voltage-it fries them. Congrats on your find and welcome to the Club! I wish I could've found a nice wagon like that:mad:....
Thanks tdidieselbobny. Even seen some of your posts in my browsing. I did an oil change today. Used Rotella T-6. I'm not sure if the gauge is shot or if it's actually been sitting with a full tank of fuel(may be good or bad). Pondering this whole timing belt task and whether to take it on myself or explore having someone else do it. Buying the tools for a job I'm only figuring on doing once is turning me off. I'm trying to find a positive battery terminal. I'm pretty certain I can rig up a replacement but a stock one would be nice. Brand new ones are up around $100 bucks at cost from my local auto parts. So I will definitely check out the places you mentioned.

I've realized(as I've browsed these forums some more) this post probably isn't in the proper area at this time so if I offend someone by clogging up this thread please administrators move it to where you should see fit.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Just look on the trusted mechanics list for trusted mechanics if you don't think you want to tackle it. Luckily,the TB kits for these cars are only about $140,the add about $50 for a water pump and metal gasket. Labor should be between $300-$500. I'd also have the intake manifold cleaned,as they do like to get buildup in them.The 96 models also have a "5th" injector-shoots diesel into exhaust to help w/ emissions-most people end up deleting that.How many miles per year do you drive? The TDI's are better suited for racking up miles....BTW,this is the right forum for this....

tripl-e

Veteran Member
TDI
b4 sporting a new ET 6th gear!
I'm not sure if the gauge is shot or if it's actually been sitting with a full tank of fuel(may be good or bad).
If it's been sitting any length of time it is bad, bad, bad. Sure, it'll probably run but heaven knows what's growing in it. My advice is 'dump it and start fresh'.

Pondering this whole timing belt task and whether to take it on myself or explore having someone else do it.
It is a somewhat 'fiddly' job. You must be careful and a little precise to get a proper result. Only you know your own comfort level but don't forget, whoever does the job must have those skills and be familiar with the procedure. Any old gas station just won't do!

Buying the tools for a job I'm only figuring on doing once is turning me off.
Why would you figure on only doing this job only once? These cars last and last and last. Mine's coming up on 300,000 miles and the oil consumption is going down! It has averaged 48 mpg in everyday driving for the 200,000 miles I've driven it. If you're not going to keep this car just SELL IT TO ME now !!!;)

I've realized(as I've browsed these forums some more) this post probably isn't in the proper area at this time so if I offend someone by clogging up this thread please administrators move it to where you should see fit.
Nope, it's just where it belongs. There is a wealth of knowledge, experience and encouragement here. Post away!

EEE

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I've never had a tank of bad diesel fuel (knock on wood). Even the Rabbit truck I bought years ago had good fuel in it and it had been sitting a decade. Pumped the whole tank into my Chevy truck and never had any issue.

Would venture a guess that any climate where you don't get decent freeze cycles is more prone to having biologically contaminated diesel fuel.

Nice find btw, I can see a pic now and it looks pretty decent.

Be sure and post up more pics / specs about it.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I've seen bad fuel, before. Made a Rabbit truck smoke like crazy. Ran the supply and return lines to a jug of new fuel and the smoke disappeared. I've used old fuel to clean parts, then take it to the recycling center.

If you're not having issues, just let it burn off, then replace the filter. Even if you mostly drain it and refill with new, you'll likely be fine. Add a little of the old to new over a few tanks and it'll soon be gone.

I need to revisit my timing belts. I drive very little... no clue why I keep driving/buying diesels.

-Todd

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The timing tools are good to have - even if you only do the belt once there's any number of other things that can require you to have to time the engine. Replacing oil seals for instance... Or dealing with a leaky injection pump... Heck even the water pump depending on which way you choose to go at it. VCDS is likewise good for countless other jobs once you have it.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Nice looking wagon! How about some pictures of the inside?
I would say just burn the old fuel after you change the fuel filter. Top the tank up with fresh fuel and just burn it off.

The "Oldpoopie" timing belt kit from Cascade German (Bora Parts) has everything you will need for a complete timing belt change. And a great TDI mechanic is well worth the drive, especially on a barn find. Do find one on the trusted mechanic list.

Welcome to the group.

dbrn55

TDI
96 Passat Wagon
Considering selling this car. It's been sitting. I haven't had time to do anything further on it. It starts right up if I start it weekly. If it sits more then two weeks the battery dies. It needs the timing belt done on it and new tires. The battery was new less then a year ago and I didn't change the oil in it. Any interest?

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
WOW, first GREAT it's a great find...
Second, you should keep the VARIANT 'cause the wagon is EXTREMELY useful !

Third, do ALL maintenance ��

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Anyone here get it? I inquired, but was somewhat relieved it was already sold.

-Todd

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
It was allI could do to refrain from calling. Hopefully it went to a great home (and not Nice Cars).