96 Passat TDI Exhaust Temp Sensor Location

BigT

TDI
96 Passat TDI
I can't find the connection for my Exhaust Temp Sensor. I know where it goes on the exhaust. I can't find where it connects on the other end.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
You shouldn't need it, that was all deleted during the recall way back when along with the 5th injector setup. FWIW the catalyst temp sensors were connected at the ECU.

Steve

BigT

TDI
96 Passat TDI
The CEL Code is P1446. Which says "Catalyst Temp Sensor 1 (G20) Short to ground. Any ideas what that means?
I appreciate your help.
Thanks Tom

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Temp sensor 1 connects to the ECU at pin 10, the ground for it is through the engine harness too, the wire at 10 should be lilac colored.

I'm assuming here you have a BK ecu still? If it was me I'd try and find the recall replacement ECU and end this that way.

Steve

BigT

TDI
96 Passat TDI
Thanks...I appreciate your response. What does missing 12V mean? How do I fix it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Amazing a '96 Passat is still out there with the original OBD-D that has never been upgraded. I agree with Steve, I'd find the newer ECU and ditch all that nonsense.

BigT

TDI
96 Passat TDI
Amazing a '96 Passat is still out there with the original OBD-D that has never been upgraded. I agree with Steve, I'd find the newer ECU and ditch all that nonsense.
Thanks Brian...About 15 years ago you helped me with this car...I sold it 10 years ago...Last year I found it behind an old church in North St. Louis in bad shape. I've been restoring it for the past 12 months. Where's the best place to get a newer ECU?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thanks Brian...About 15 years ago you helped me with this car...I sold it 10 years ago...Last year I found it behind an old church in North St. Louis in bad shape. I've been restoring it for the past 12 months. Where's the best place to get a newer ECU?
If you can't find one here then Community Auto recycling in Erie PA has one for $35, it's the FA ECU, 1-814-833-8518 / 1-877-833-8518 , Stock # ST7507. 1997 Passat.

None of the others listed which part number ECU they had except for two yards that had BK, which is what you have now.

I'm sorry but I can't remember what the actual recall ECU part number was. It might have been the GQ ECU vs the FA. I know the FA came in 1997, and I know Abacus would know what the recall version was for sure.

Steve