96 Passat Climate Control Cables/Control

BluFalcon

TDI
13 Passat TDI
I'm replacing the A/C Climate Control in my car due to the original not being able to cycle over fully to cold. I have the old one out of the car and I'm trying to get the replacement in, but I'm having a problem remembering which cables go where on the unit.

I have two cables with black sheaths with a blue band and a white band on them. I think these go to the vent/defrost select arm on the box. I also have a short blue cable with a white band that I think is for the temp regulation.
Can anyone confirm which is which? I've got the interior torn apart in the car, and I'd like to get it back together before tomorrow so I can drive it for work.

Should have took a picture before I yanked it all apart.:mad:

BluFalcon

TDI
13 Passat TDI
Got it figured out, after some futzing around with the cable positioning. The previous owner zip tied a cable in place on the back of the control assembly and it worked its way loose. The new unit had all 3 tabs with clips, so I should be good to go for awhile.

I didn't get the temp cable properly positioned so the dial doesn't point completely at the cold position, but I can live with that for now. At least the control are all moving freely and there's no more clicking from the knobs.

914fan

Veteran Member
TDI
1997, Jetta, Green
blue was for temp. the other two are for where the air comes out.

I just did this today. I hooked the lower black on when the part it hooks into was closest to where the clip goes. I then turned the dial to pull the cable until it was where it needed to be and Then installed the clip. Same for the top black and then the blue.

Is that how you did it? I had to replace my control unit because it melted. Stupid thing only lasted 18 years on high and through 3 fans... Cheap thing :D