'96 key fob options...

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
\'96 key fob options...

Question to all:

My sister has a '96 2.0, and has seen my key fob pop open my trunk and doors with the simple touch of a button. Which led her to ask the question: "Can you put one of those on mine???"

The answer was, "Of course, but..."

I'm wondering if this was an option for these cars. If so, I'll start hunting for the parts, but it occured to me that I've never seen one older than '98 with one. I was hoping to go the factory route instead of the aftermarket for a seemless and totally stock-invisible installation.

That said, would it be possible to grab the parts from a '98 to do the conversion? How cool would that be???

-Rich

Rick P.

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat, Tornado Red, RIP Feb 17, 2006
Re: \'96 key fob options...

My '97 Passat has an alarm / pager / keyless entry system. It is an after-market Clifford unit but the installation is seamless. The only thing it doesn't do is open the trunk. I have a trunk button on the fob but read that a separate wiring harness is required to get it to work. I'll probably hook it up this summer.

Rick

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d

The keyless entry system was a "dealer installed option" for the B4 (and presumeably A3 up through 1997 I believe). The VW system was aftermarket, although it was an "official" aftermarket part.

Do a quick search on "Passat keyless entry" in the "upgrades" forum and you'll find out more as this has been hashed out before.

crvsecretary

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan Salsa Red

Hello!

The first add-on I installed on my '96 Passat TDI was a keyless entry kit I bought with the help of the fine folks on this website and found a NOS VW kit on eBay. I understand there were 2 different kits available - one that was simple and one that was waaaay overkill. I looked for and got the simple kit. It's a 2 button keyfob that locks & unlocks the doors; the trunk operates with an additional harness that I choose not to install.

I don't know if this kit is still available through the dealer network. My suggestion? Get the Clifford.