96 B4V - parts or project?

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Yesterday I left Kentucky around 7am and drove 350 miles to Atlanta, dolly in tow. I had intended to come back with a 96 B4, but turns out the car was a 2.0 and was in even worse condition than the photos advertised. Luckily I had another car saved that was only 40 minutes away, and that's the one I brought home. This 96 B4V.

I bought this from a guy in powder springs (some of you probably saw it on Facebook). He had worked at the local VW dealership for ten years and purchased the car from an older person who regularly brought it in for maintenance. Sadly he barely drove the car 20,000 miles before getting hit in his own neighborhood, pretty much totaling it. The left frame rail is completely wrecked, and the other side isn't too great either. The engine cranks and sounds good, but won't fire at the moment. I'm probably going to hook up VCDS and try to get it started. It also makes a pretty gnarly clacking noise when it rolls.

So I've got three options.
1) use the white roller I have for parts and try to swap the entire front end and frame rails
2) swap the drivetrain and everything else from the B4V into my white roller and part the rest of the wagon
3) swap the drivetrain into a Ranger or Tacoma and then part the rest of the wagon. 🙃

As much as I want to save this rare and incredibly clean wagon, I'm really concerned it'll be very expensive to fix and possibly not turn out very good trying to swap frame rails. What say you all?

20220918_160334.jpg

20220918_190355.jpg

20220918_190359.jpg

20220918_190406.jpg

20220918_190410.jpg

20220918_190417.jpg

20220918_190429.jpg

20220918_190431.jpg

20220918_190504.jpg

20220918_190508.jpg

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Option one would still get you a totaled car, if someone runs a Carfax.
Option two is easiest, but only worth it if the roller has a clean title. See option one.
Option three would be the coolest, but also the most work.

-Todd

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Option one would still get you a totaled car, if someone runs a Carfax.
Option two is easiest, but only worth it if the roller has a clean title. See option one.
Option three would be the coolest, but also the most work.

-Todd
The roller does have a clean title as far as I know.

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
I was interested in that vehicle, also

If you end up putting it together and wanna sell it please keep me in mind (I've been looking for a blue B4V for a while now...)
Maybe get a quote from a body shop to straighten the frame rails, and make it so it's just a bolt-up repair for you?)
keep us appraised!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I think the front frame horn replacements is going to be very expensive...you might have to have some pulling done to what's there now to get the rails into position where new ones can be mounted.....can't really tell. And then you would need to remove the rails from something since those parts are not going to be available new anymore. Two removals and a reinstall on the wagon.

This would be a big investment of time to save a wagon. You'd have to seriously want to do it in order make it happen, but what's there now is pretty good but you'll need a whole front of sheet metal to cover it all in the end.

The second option would provide a lot of parts that people probably need, if that's what you want to do.

I like the transplant option, have been considering one now for a while since I've built up a pretty good supply of engines, it's the adapters that seem to be big money now....over a grand each for one to connect TDI to AX15 gearbox.

You could also remove the driveline, gut the inside and build it out as a cargo / camp trailer. I'd replace the windshield with a metal panel but leave the rest, do a metal box front on the cowl, I've seen this done before on Mk4 jetta wagons although I can't put my hand on a photo at the moment.

Steve

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
You could also remove the driveline, gut the inside and build it out as a cargo / camp trailer. I'd replace the windshield with a metal panel but leave the rest, do a metal box front on the cowl, I've seen this done before on Mk4 jetta wagons although I can't put my hand on a photo at the moment.

Steve
Now THAT'S a great idea. I had considered doing something similar with one of the B5s I have, but honestly they're not in good enough condition for it. A B4V pull-behind camper would be great.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
The only downside to swapping the engine into a small truck would be that I'd want to keep it. And the only downside to me swapping everything into my white roller is also that I'd want to keep it. I'm trying to flip vehicles and make a little money but my toxic trait is that I want to keep everything. :rolleyes:

Truth be told, I've wanted another B4 to have around for a while now. They're just too good to not have multiples. Plus since I still have my daily driver I could take it slow and really build one how I want it - remove the head and clean out all the EGR filth, swap on a bigger turbo, reseal everything, all the fun things you'd wanna do.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
B4V TDI are rare and very useful. If you can find a family-run body shop that will do just the framework for you, it will not cost much to straighten (3 hours labor). Find some blue Passat sedan body parts and bolt them on. As far as salvage titles go on an old car, it depends on your state but basically any car this old is going to get totaled off a door ding. The idea of it affecting a car's value is dumb, especially to think of it the same way some $40,000 car that received $40,000 of damage. You either get it fixed right or you don't. You need to be smart enough to see the difference. That is all that matters to you since the resale on these cars is relatively small and I do not see them being collector cars since they were built to be used.
If you cannot find a body shop or the spare parts, then part the car out for another project.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
I'm actually talking to a another member who wants to work out a trade deal for a different parts car so he can fix this one. He's trying to get some repair estimates first.

Something I noticed last night is that the driver's side was hit so hard that the sheet metal under the cowl area has been bucked probably 1/2" or so. You can see a pretty obvious ripple in front of the ECU area where the paint flaked off. Might add just enough "non-fixability" to make it nonviable.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
It sucks that it got hit that hard. That's a super rare silk blue Passat B4, not many of them around to begin with. There's a 96 green B4 sedan on Marketplace near me that has some minor issues and he has it at $1200...another project for ya? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
It sucks that it got hit that hard. That's a super rare silk blue Passat B4, not many of them around to begin with. There's a 96 green B4 sedan on Marketplace near me that has some minor issues and he has it at $1200...another project for ya? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Two more popped up that I was made aware of, wagon without a drivetrain in IN and a running sedan that needs a starter in MO.

Steve

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Last edited:

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Anybody who said they were interested in parts, hit me up. Mostly for the "wagon only" components. I'll have to keep most of the interior that will swap to my sedan roller.

Location is Campbellsville KY. Can ship if you want to to pay with PayPal friends and family or personal check.

volksguy

Veteran Member
Hello do you have a beige A Piller Trim . And Would ypu sell the Compleat under dash Ac/Heater System?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Choochly, That hit is harder than either of my B4 hits. It was not viable to repair the horns/frame rails on either of mine, and I didn't have a buckled firewall. It's a donor, maybe. Trans case survived?
Are there GLX wagons available? That's a worthwhile TDI recipient.
Abacus, is the motor siezed, or has the rotating/oscillating arm shaft become been jammed by corrosion of the sprayer? The sprayer should be static. Frequently the sprayer will oscillate with the arm when oxidation binds the sprayer to the arm. I can imagine the same oxidation effect might bind the arm to the through mount.

Last edited:

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Choochly, That hit is harder than either of my B4 hits. It was not viable to repair the horns/frame rails on either of mine, and I didn't have a buckled firewall. It's a donor, maybe. Trans case survived?
Are there GLX wagons available? That's a worthwhile TDI recipient.
Pretty sure the transmission survived. I think there's a broken ear on the front of it but I do have it to weld back on.

Haven't seen any good donor wagons out there, but I'll probably start on trying to swap everything over to my white sedan roller pretty soon.