'96 B4V 02a shifter bushings replacement.

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
Today I'm replacing the shifter bushings in my '96 B4V Passat. After an initial visual inspection, it appears that the cables and cable end-bushings are intact, but the bushings at the shifter have all failed.
Here is a .gif of the shifter slop -- this is all slop; the cable is not being engaged:

HERE is a short YOUTUBE video of the same thing where you can hear the clunking sounds...

To attend to this I bought the shift bushing kit from UroTuning. This is my first time to do business with them. Here's what arrived in the mail:

THIS THREAD over on the other VW forum was is very helpful...

And that's what I've got. Now it's time to take it apart and see if I can sort out which parts go where. I'll amost certainly come back and edit this post with more info.

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
Sweet! that really wasn't all that hard. Since most of my bushings were completely destroyed, one of the most difficult parts was simply identifying which part went where. I've posted here a few photos that will help the next guy knock this out maybe a bit faster and with less stress than me.
first side note is that I was able to do all this from inside the car without dropping the exhaust. I removed the center console trim pieces, and just went at it. Only #27 need something special to replace. this bushing was the only one intact for me, but I managed to replace it without dropping the exhaust and shifter box.
Another side note is while the shift bushing kit from UroTuning had all the parts that I needed, I was disappointed that they make no effort to tell you what you are buying (part numbers), nor where they go. It almost took me more time to sort out the bits than to install them...
Having said that, it probably will be cheaper to buy the parts individually, after you've looked at what you think you need. Here are the part numbers for the bits in their kit:
#1- Selector Guide: 357711055D
#3- bushing: 357711590B
#4- bushing: 357711124A
#5- Spring: (I don't know the part number, but your's is probably okay!) NOTE, I installed this wrong the first time around. Last photo shows correct installation.
#6- cap (ball end): 357711164
#9- bearing bush: 357711590C
#14- bushing: 357711217
#17- damper: 357711901A
#27- bearing bush: 357711166A
Here is what the parts look like:

install notes:
#27 is the only bushing for the 2nd cable.
#1 is the big white housing, and it can only be correctly installed one way, so make a note of this before disassembly.
#14 goes with the the green spring's retainer on the shift shaft
#17 is different from all the others. Its soft and squishy, and serves as a bumper at the bottom of the shift shaft, below the #1 housing.
#6, the little ball, was the most difficult to install. I had to put the assembly in a bench vice and use both hands and a tiny screwdriver to pop it on it's metal ball.
#9 is elliptical. I don't know why! It didn't look like there was a good reason to this?? It can only go one of 2 ways, so I just guessed and put it in there...
#3 - the #5 spring & #4 ride on it.
#4 is the spring retainer, preventing lateral movement. It "pops" onto #3. Note in my 1st post, in the .gif, this bushing is gone, and the spring has slipped off...
#5 the spring. Note how it is installed. This has an adjustment, and determines how strongly the shifter pulls to the left (toward 1st/2nd gear).
Here are three photos of the bushings installed, so you can see where they go, then two parts diagrams to help sort them out.

EDIT --NOTE! I accidentally incorrectly installed the indexing spring! here is how it correctly installs!!

For me, since my bushings were all shot, this made a significant improvement in the shift quality on my B4V Passat TDI wagon. I did this write up because when I wanted to do this job I had difficulty finding the information anywhere, so I hope it helps someone out there.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

ejallison1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU, 97 Passat TDI AAZ, 04 Golf TDI PD, 01 NB TDI ALH
Great write up! Especially diagram where all the bits go. Did this a few months back on a 98 Jetta with the same Uro Tuning kit. I don't know how you managed to do this without dropping the housing from underneath the car-which of course requires getting the exhaust out of the way but kudos. This one had gotten so bad could only find a couple of gears and this solved the problem.

mahir

TDI
1.9TDI ALH
Great tutorial man, I will do mine on friday when I get the parts. I could not find part 27 online so will have to go to the dealer once to order it.
One more thing. You should also change the ones in the engine bay numbered 41 3x, 44 and 49.

Picture of the parts I will change. The green ones I still did not get.