911 Please help! No start issues

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Maybe Gord knows what voltages to expect on the pins when cranking? In order for him to test the pump, he has to be able to supply it correctly, so I would think he knows.

Did you check fuse 34?

Maybe change the fuel filter because everyone else does that with a no start, thereby introducing another variable to their troubleshooting. (Yes, I'm joking)

I don't recall if you said you did a compression test?

My gut says it's electrical, as well. This could be one of those times that a labscope may be of help.

Reidler

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 2001, Black
Hey everyone, sorry about the delay, we've been going through a heat wave here in Vancouver and quite frankly I haven't really felt like working on the car. There is cooler weather coming though so hopefully I can get back to it.

Anyway, Thanks Whitedog for the comedic jesture :) I did ask Gord a question related to what you suggested, and he does know what pins control what in the pump, but as far as what voltages are concerned he says the test bench takes care of all that for him so he doesn't know specifically what is needed at each pin. In his defense he says they only really specialize in the mechanical aspect of the pump, not so much the electronic part. He does have a control box there that he can control the pump with but at this point he thinks it could be redundant, simply because we know the pump is good, so there's not much point in bypassing the cars electronics just to run the car with the box (I am still considering it however just to hear it run and see if it everything mechanical sounds normal).

We did check fuse 34 and all the other fuses and everything checked out ok. To the best of my knowledge and the extent of my testing, everything that needs power when the engine is cranking is getting it. The ECU is powered up fine because I can easily communicate with it via Vac-Com.
We didn't do a compression check, but we did run the car on starting fluid via a quick spray into the intake manifold just to see if it would run, and it started up instantly for the second or two that I fed it fuel (I don't like doing that because it washes the cylinder walls down, but in this case it was a quick any easy way to check and eliminate a lot of diagnostic possibilities).
At this point in time I think my next step is to start checking wiring and sensors. Unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram for the car so if anyone has a link or PDF of it that would help me greatly. Gord says sometimes a wire can short to ground and not throw a code, which may be what's happening.

Thanks again for any suggestions. If anyone on here knows how to check parameters with the VCDS I'm all ears.

Reidler

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 2001, Black
Ok so I ran an "output tests - 03" on the engine module with Vag-Com and everything checks out ok. No codes.
I also did it on the instrument module and get no codes, (Well, except for the 1177 that is always there) but after I run the test on the instruments and go back to the engine module I get the following code: 19456 "Indicator lamp for Pre-Glow time (K29) error from inst. panel 35-00--" When I clear it, it comes right back. After I cycle the key and do a restart of vag-com then I can clear it.

Not much info on this code on the internet, does anyone know what it is? The Glow plug light does light up during the tests by the way.