911! Need HELP in Saskatchewan!!

B4Ugo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat 1Z, 2003 W8 TIP, 2004 GLX 4motion wagon 6spd tdi.
Good evening,
We've got a dead 2004 GLX 4mo wagon 6spd tdi in Regina SK.
My dream car was on its way from Montreal to be delivered to me in BC, but lost a ton of oil and is now making horrible sounds.
The driver is in Regina with the car and I'm still in BC!
We are hoping to find a fellow club member with a shop, or tdi savvy repair shop in Saskatchewan (ideally with a good BHW laying around!).
Any help is appreciated!

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Say it ain't so!!

Don't know anyone out there... Good luck

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Sounds like you need a towing company not a mechanic. Load it up and tow it home. Don't fall victim of shps that rip tourists off. Be prepared the engine and the turbo are shot.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
There are a couple of car transport companies that go east west in Canada -Hansens and Livingston. Call them and see if they are willing to pick up and bring to you.

Fixing a car from a distance is a recipe for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
There are a couple of car transport companies that go east west in Canada -Hansens and Livingston. Call them and see if they are willing to pick up and bring to you.

Fixing a car from a distance is a recipe for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I'm in agreement with Windex, remote repair via phone or what ever device never works and is a recipe for big dollar outlay.

My preference in situations like this is to get the sale finalized with the owner and get them out of the picture. With the engine in this condition I'm sure a new price needs to be negotiated.

Next you want to have someone transport the car to you so that repairs can be made rationally without the influence of being away from home etc. The tourist repair shops can take thousands and they don't care.

If you don't own the car yet then the PO might make decisions about how to repair that you don't agree with, don't let that happen.

If you really feel like you need to have it repaired en route then you need to find someone who will baby sit the car at the repair place and watch to make sure that things are done right, or will essentially adopt the car during the repairs and have their personal mechanics fix it.

My .02, and good luck. Sorry to hear about this situation.

Steve

B4Ugo

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm in agreement with Windex, remote repair via phone or what ever device never works and is a recipe for big dollar outlay.

My preference in situations like this is to get the sale finalized with the owner and get them out of the picture. With the engine in this condition I'm sure a new price needs to be negotiated.

Next you want to have someone transport the car to you so that repairs can be made rationally without the influence of being away from home etc. The tourist repair shops can take thousands and they don't care.

If you don't own the car yet then the PO might make decisions about how to repair that you don't agree with, don't let that happen.

If you really feel like you need to have it repaired en route then you need to find someone who will baby sit the car at the repair place and watch to make sure that things are done right, or will essentially adopt the car during the repairs and have their personal mechanics fix it.

My .02, and good luck. Sorry to hear about this situation.

Steve
I agree 100%. We took this advice and got the car shipped using U-ship for $1000 (at the owners expense)
Once the car was in BC, we took it to a friends shop (with a hoist).
After pulling the engine and inspecting the damage, we decided the best course of action was to put in a used motor.
We (myself, the owner(he drove here to deal with the mess), and the shop owner) cleaned it up, installed a colt cam, did BSM delete, TB kit, and resealed it.
We had to use the old harness because it was wired for the swap.
I paid for all the parts and labour, which totaled $5100. I then paid the balance of the purchase price, $4900.
So I still paid the full $10K for the car, but got to oversee all the work and do a lot of it myself, the way I wanted it done.
Considerably more peace of mind..
In the end it took two weeks to deal with.
Out of province vehicle inspection was done, and I've registered and insured it as of last week.
It was an ordeal.
I was generous about it, as the situation was an inconvenience for everyone.
My wife now refers to it as the "unicorn fiasco".
The car is pretty great.
Was it worth the fiasco? Jury still out on that one. Was a pretty major interruption in my life...

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Sounds like it worked out and you will have a great car. Impressed that the owner would drive out to deal with the problem. What was the diagnosis on the engine? Where went the oil?

B4Ugo

Veteran Member
TDI
Not 100% sure. It seemed to be a leaky valve cover gasket. But hard to say, there was sooo much oil everywhere in the engine bay. It was a real turn-off. When I saw that, I felt as if this car had been neglected, as it had been leaking for a long time.
Realistically I could've been a hard ass and low balled him, but he'd gone waay out of his way to make me happy with the car. After we'd already agreed on price, he upgraded the brakes with an S4 setup, which required swapping out the uprights, aka wheel bearing housings.
Then the wheels didn't fit back on...
So he picked up some S4 Avus wheels.
Then the tires didn't fit..
So he bought new tires.
And when the car arrived, he immediately bought a brand new battery from the dealership and installed it.
A decent fella to be sure, just needs a lesson on caring for engines...

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Did the seller import the car from Europe himself?

B4Ugo

Veteran Member
TDI
That's right. BHW being a NA engine. Wouldn't be much point in importing a 4mo gasser, now would there.
Transmission came from an A6 V6 TDI.
Thus far I'm astonished at the difference in mileage from my 2wd auto.
With the GLX, I can get sub 5l/100km on the hwy and have been avg 6.0 mixed.
Whereas 7.2 with the GLS...
Very pleased.
Just need to get the rev hang and cruise cancel sorted.

Last edited: