911 Broke Down Coolant Leak Need Help!!

dsmith1279

TDI
None......Yet???
I'm broke down on the highway, 400 miles from home, with a coolant leak. I have an 05.5 Jetta TDI. The coolant leak is coming from, as near I can tell, the back side of the motor. I don't have my manual. Is there a coolant input in the back side the motor that could have come loose?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would lay money your heater hose blew. Somewhat common, I put this in one of my 'common problems' thread in the hopes that people see this.

The hose gets a little oily from the turbo above/near it and swells over time.

The heater hose is actually both the hoses in a little assembly.

The hose part number is 1K0-122-157-GH and you'll want to get both the couplers, 1K0-122-291-H and 1K0-122-291-J, and of course some G12 coolant.

You get to them from above and below, you'll need to pull the air intake tube off to get at the firewall connections, and the shield off from underneath, kind of an awkward angle.

You'll want to have the car towed, don't drive it!

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Or your EGR cooler.

You can actually take the hoses loose that feed your EGR cooler and use it to bypass the EGR cooler and the cabin heater, If you have pair of pliers and are very flexible.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Your location is a bit too far for me..the heater hose size is 3/4", usually the hose leaks pretty good or pops off all together..

There is a chance that the EGR cooler is leaking as well..That will be expensive at a dealer..

Might try the guys in Dallas..

dsmith1279

TDI
None......Yet???
Thanks guys! I ended up having it towed to a guys shop. He let me pull it over his pit and work on it. There was a perforation right at the nipple, on the heater hose that Oil Hammer referenced. I was able to get it fixed good enough by pulling the hose, cutting off the bad tubing, reinstalling he hose and clamp. Filled the expansion tank with water and hit the road. No issues what so ever. I made it the rest of the 400ish miles last night. Thanks for all your help.

Now to go and hit the stealership for the parts so that I can put the appropriate fix on the ole' girl.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
This is a good example of what I tell people about the tdiclub: "As long as you have access to the internet, you have help." and "Chances are there is a tdiclub member nearby willing to help."