90 Golf TDI conversion

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
In the Vagcom, you have a channel in the measuring blocks where you have your brake switch. It should be "0 0 0".

1st : Clutch
2nd & 3rd : Brakes (They always work together).

So, if your not pressing on any pedals, it should show all 0.

bozwell

Veteran Member
TDI
diesel hoverboard
awesome thanks! i gotta go in with vagcom to change the EGR duty cycle so ill check out that measuring block too

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
The pedal switches are adjustable. Just push down on the pedal and pull/push the black plunger for adjustmenting the switch.

bozwell

Veteran Member
TDI
diesel hoverboard
i just read about the flashing glow plug light in the FAQ (guess i didnt see it in there before) and its pointing at the brake light switch just as you guys have all been saying. i know my brake lights are working so im thinking maybe i missed that wire behind the fuse box. im gonna look into it and ill let you know what i find

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Look for a 2 wire plug with about 12-18" or wire reach from the rats nest behind the fuse panel.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Cars with cruise control have that switch too... and the TDI's cruise is in the ECU so that switch just goes right to the ECU.

-J

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Very nice!! Is it chipped and nozzled? That will make the car feel so light and powerful!!

Are you doing a 5 bolts conversion kit (suspension/brakes) from a mk3 VR6?

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
DO THE FIVE BOLT! I did the Corrado Suspension and Brakes and it ROCKS! It gives you a bit wider of a track and the brakes are AWESOME! And I love the BBS's!

bozwell

Veteran Member
TDI
diesel hoverboard
nah im stayin 4 bolt and im not sittin on bbs's. i really cant go any wider or ill tear the hell out of my tires cuz im so low

as of now the engine is stock with the exception of the cone filter and straight thru exhaust with deleted particulate filter. i have a van aaken smartbox sittin right next to me on the floor but i wanna get some miles on her first to make sure everything is ok before i start the mods. so far tho shes runnin awesome!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
what wheels are those? I like them.

bozwell

Veteran Member
TDI
diesel hoverboard
G60ING said:
what wheels are those? I like them.
theyre made by fondmetal. i cant remember what model they are but i picked them up around 2002.

today i plugged in my van aaken smartbox for the trip down to waterfest in englishtown nj...what an improvement that thing made!!! 3 ppl in the car it still pulled harder than stock with just me driving......and it blows smoke nicely now :D

bozwell

Veteran Member
TDI
diesel hoverboard
btw back to the flashing glowplug light, i know the wiring is correct cuz ive been noticing that when it starts flashing, ill tap the brake pedal and the light goes out. i just dont understand why the ECU feels the need to see a signal from the brake pedal every 15 minutes :confused:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is your pedal switch for the ECU. I just did this on my car to replicate the issue. I dropped my fusebox a few weeks ago when i was comparing wires with a mk3 Golf swap i was working on and my Cruise had not been working. This morning I popped my head under the dash and everything looked like it was in the propper place so tried adjusting the plunger for the blue ECU switch. This caused a flashing glowplug light that would come on and flash until I tapped the brake pedal and then it would stay off for 5-6 minutes.

This evening I will correct it and trouble shoot my cruise control. I expect it will take 10 minutes or less to get the flashing GP light and CC fixed.

bozwell

Veteran Member
TDI
diesel hoverboard
thanks for the comments

ill hafta take a look under the dash and check out those cruise switches, unfortunately last week i herniated a disc in my back and i can barely even walk so it may be a while before i get the chance to look :(

bozwell

Veteran Member
TDI
diesel hoverboard
btw can anyone point me to a hose routing diagram for the EGR? i cant remember how it was routed in the donor car

bozwell

Veteran Member
TDI
diesel hoverboard
compu_85 said:
Why are you connecting it back up?

-Jason
to kill the CEL. i readapted the EGR with vagcom but the line to the valve is pulling constant vac so either i have the lines configured wrong or i adapted the EGR wrong

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I played my pedal switches today. I had to use vag-Com to see that the blue ECU brake pedal switch needed to have its plunger almost fully extended outward before it would open and close its contacts correctly. This means the plunger is contact with the brake pedal for 80-90% of its motion.

My cruise control switch was partially operational in that it would turn on and off. I neglected to see if it was sensing the set button when pushed. After driving in this morning I am confidenrt that I need to clean the contact in the CC stalk. I will confirm this later this week. I know my clutch pedal switch was working correctly.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh BTW, I fully agree that your back needs to be 100% good before checking the pedal switches.

dub fatha

TDI
mk2 golf with 1Z tdi engine
hiya fella,

was just wondering where you got that stainless steel decat pipe from.

p.s, hope your back gets better soon. its happened to me before and it kill's

bozwell

Veteran Member
TDI
diesel hoverboard
i got the pipe on ebay. its for a 95 eclipse non turbo. the pipe i got is a little on the thin side and was difficult to weld but its holding up so far

on another note, i didnt get to dyno the car. it was gettin late and my back started hurtin so we put it off for another day. i did however find that the cruise control brake pedal switch wasnt touching the pedal and that was the cause of the flashing glow plug light

dub fatha

TDI
mk2 golf with 1Z tdi engine
please help with wiring loom problem

bozwell said:
nope, the car is a 1990 which makes it a CE2. everything is pretty much plug and play except theres a couple little individual wires at the fuse box that need to get powered up. for those wires i used the factory bridges that clip onto the top of the fusebox so it looks completely factory....no scotch-locks or butchered wiring here! :p
hi there,

was wondering if you can help me.

i have just fitted the mk3 golf tdi engine loom into my 1990 mk2 golf,
and have a few small plugs that i cant find a home for.

i initially opened up the insulation on the loom and removed all of the unecessary wiring and plugs so that i would be left with just the wiring for the engine/ecu etc. so far everything has plugged into the fuse box nicely apart from a few small plugs and one wire which come out of the black immobiliser box, and also a plug from the mk3 speedo cluster loom.

you stated above that put a live to some of the small additional plugs, do you by any chance remember which ones it was

any help or advise will be greatly appreciated,

thanks