'86 AUDI 100 w. 1.9TDI PD

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
Here is some photos from my conversion of my old AUDI 100 to beast on wheels :)

Engine:
1.9TDI PD 130Hp AWX from Passat 2003
Gearbox 5gear, original come with engine
Main brake cylinder/brake booster also from Passat 2003
ECU EDC15P , moded to 160Hp
Custom intake tube (under front water cooler)
Custom engine mounts
Custom front axles (shorted by 15/35mm)

(more photos/details soon, I not take much photos over work)

Last edited:

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
nice, I am seriously contemplating a similar project with a 88 audi 80 quattro. Just waiting on the pd130 to come from scott.

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
its nice toy but sometimes is impossible to move without burning tires, that ASR is very missing.

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
here is small update, some pics from ABS/EDS mountig (with this mount all brake lines has been renewed and rear proportional valve has been removed)

(ABS/EDS unit come from Audi A6 year 2000 :) )

(rear sensors are from Skoda OctaviaI and wheel hub is from Audi80, only this one have ABS ring with 45tooths and it have holes 4x108 for wheel discs)

Last edited:

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
some small turbo boost indicator mounted to dashboard :)

small test at standing :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7xQ7bYNZX8

Update:
indicator in this case have scale 0-1.8bar
(7green+3red, steps : 0.18-0.36-0.54-0.72-0.9-1.08-1.26-1.44-1.62-1.8bar),step is 0.18bar but can be readed as 0.09bar/segment because segment can have full brightness (0.18bar) and half brightness (0.09bar)
small video at drive : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReOGwIfBzRE

Last edited:

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Tomi, you'll have to elaborate on the tachometer fix to convert the signal from 5 cyl to the pd unit. Would the same procedure work with my 80? Nice pictures of the old engine

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
jjordan11 said:
Hey Tomi, you'll have to elaborate on the tachometer fix to convert the signal from 5 cyl to the pd unit. Would the same procedure work with my 80? Nice pictures of the old engine
I think yes, if you can, open cluster instrument and look around RPM gauge motor/servo on PCB, there must be one chip, read value from that chip and tell me (I think there is ITTxxx chip with 18pins, if yes made detailed photo of PCB from solder side with chip and near area) :)

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
here is another small update (in preparing state), its fresh new wrinigs, AUDI 100 have nice and very stable original wirings but fresh new cables its not bad idea :)

Here is first cable tree, its complete underdash wiring for instrument cluster,enigne,lights/headlights/turn signal switches, car radio,relay plate,power distributor....(inc. CAN-bus), this cable tree I think with very small mods can be implemented :)
(this cable tree is from AUDI A6 '00)

Second wirings are for Left/Right headlights(separate L & R side),turn signals,fog lights, cooler fan unit incl. A/C connections. This wirings is from VW Passat B5 '01 :) That separate L & R wirings its very good because originaly AUDI100 have only one cable tree for headlights (from L to R headlamps come cables at front of engine what is very unconfortable when is needed work on engine)

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
I took out my cluster and disassembled it, I couldn't find a chip. I took a picture of the tachometer assembly, there is a potentiometer on it that might be used for some type of calibration. I'll attach a picture of it on my thread so I don't hijack yours :) .

GT2

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 mk4 5-spd conversion from automatic.
Great project, I owned the 83 and 84 5000TD 2.0 US versions, these chasis are well built, and quiet, the 83 got broaded sided by a large GM car, from the interior of car, it did not show.

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
some small updates :)

finished front axles, I have used axles from Passat B5, wheels hubs from A100Q C3 (they have 4x108 and outer CV fit to wheel hub without any modification), also I mounted ABS sensors and finally get ABS/EDS to work :)

next I put original cover on engine ;)

and I start to work on A/C, that need some Alu welding because I have original old evaporator, rest (pipes,compressor,condeser..) is from PD engine.

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
and finaly because A/C need elec. fan I get fan from A6 C4 and because PD have also visco fan I need to made my own cooler cover for visco part (its not finished yet) :)

(space around engine,cooler start to be very tight :) )

next on plan is finishing A/C and installing air filterbox from PD130.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
nice work, I love how there are more part options in Europe

steve_s

Veteran Member
Awesome! I would like to do a similar transplant into my 81 5000D (5 spd) but have to get the best tranny for it... any suggestions for that? I was thinking of using a 1Z engine but they only came transverse. Do they mate up to any longitudinal trannys that would fit? I assume I'll need the console and ECU along with the 1Z engine. Any other tips most appreciated. Thanks

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
some A/C update :)

relay holder with fan relays

power resistors for fan (3 speed)

and welded A/C tubes

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
small update for better airflow from IC and more air for brakes :)

Last edited:

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
fresh new made bottom intake pipe (turbo -> intercooler) from stainless steel :)

Last edited:

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
some small update (without photos, there is nothing to photo :) )
- renewed subframe and sway bar bushings, struts bearings also
- all springs (F&R) replaced and installed from A100 C4 (because I get lower weight with installing PD engine)
- ABS/EDS unit replaced with ABS/EDS/ASR (with CAN-bus)

:)

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
installed new cluster instruments from A200 :)

there is some interesting things :
- oil temperature/oil pressure gauges
- battery voltage gauge
- autocheck system
- board computer/trip computer (signal conversion not solved yet)
- stock boost digital indicator with 0-2.0Bar range

:)

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
small ,,standing time signal,,(TIM) emulator which is required by EDS system, this signal is normally provided by cluster instrument but old clusters doesn't have this output. Without this signal ABS/EDS generate error (as I remmber error 1206).
This time signal is generated at each turning ignition on, based on this time signal, ABS unit calculate standing time of car (and cooling down of brakes).
(climatronic and some navi require this signal too)

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
I installed for testing fuel pump in tank, its gasoline pump used commonly in VW/Seat/Skoda and its indeed for single-point injection systems and it have just only 1.2bar pressure with integrated overpressure valve, its pretty ,,similar,, as is used in PD's originaly :)
Here is photo of first version - it is ,,bad,, version, on the side of pump is white plastic tube where is connected hose (return line in this case) which is wrong because that plastic tube is overpressure output ! Actual version not have connection like hose-tube-hose-pump but only hose-longer tube and that tube is mounted to body of pump by screw clamp (I not have photo of this now)

And difference with installation with and without pump ? Without pump, engine at/over 3000rpm looks like it lost power, with pump I have at/over 3000rpm at 4th gear problem with sliding clutch :) Its time to get new clutch :)

tomiisp

TDI
1.9 TDI PD AWX
new re-manufactured clutch plate arrive :) It have used HDS material on plate :)

old clutch :

re-manufactured:

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Which flywheel are you using with that clutch? Is it a solid one or dual mass?

Jon