800-2000 RPM Clattering/Loud Fuel Pump, Code P0252

03_Jetta_TDI

TDI
2003 VW TDI
Hey you guys and gals. I got a 2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd with 284 k miles on it. Just had to put it's first new transmission in it a few months ago, absolutely love the car. The other day I was hearing some loud noise while accelerating and at the stop light was really able to tell. As I was recording a video the check engine light came on, Code P0252. I just have a cheapy OBDII scanner and no VAG-Com available to me :/ unfortunately. So it seems like obviously I got a fuel problem, I'm gonna go change my filter tomorrow, hasn't had one in a while hope that's it.

If that doesn't help what do you think my next step is? Find someone with VAG-Com probably? I've read that the code can sometimes be caused by an advancement in timing from a slipped timing belt, this current belt only has about 40 k miles on it. I'd appreciate any advice you got, thanks.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I'd check the timing. I had that happen on my sister's car, and it was the belt slipped. It only had 40k on the timing belt too. While you're at it, i would check the idlers and tensioners, since what ended up with my sisters car is an idler locked up. I caught it in time before the belt broke and took the head with it...

03_Jetta_TDI

TDI
2003 VW TDI
Changed out the filter no luck. I got the top cover off of the timing belt. The belt is in good shape seemingly, nothing looks awful. How tight should the belt be? Like rock hard kind of deal? Or a little bit of slop? Currently got a bit of slop so. Thanks I appreciate it.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
It shouldn't have much slop. Look at the tensioner and see if the pointer is between the lines. I'll find a photo to illustrate that...

Mozambiquer

TDI
This is a photo from the intertube, and its a PD but it illustrates how the pointer is supposed to be.

03_Jetta_TDI

TDI
2003 VW TDI
So I'm looking down there and it's really covered in grease and wet. Honestly my water pump may be weeping, how would I tell that? I looked at the records on the car, my dads the original owner. The last timing belt got done at 265 k miles. That's a little less than 20k miles and they supposedly replaced the water pump, timing belt, and tensioners and idlers. Might need to give them a call. It's been at college for my sister for a few years and now I got it down in FL. Probably had 15 thousand miles put on it in the last 4 years maybe like 3.5 years. I'll try to share some photos to show you what I'm seeing.

Kinda hard to see sorry. Thanks for the help so far.

03_Jetta_TDI

TDI
2003 VW TDI

Well found this article from 2007. Diesel clatter getting louder just like this guy. Unfortunately the guy never responded with what happened to his car. I think that my TB has jumped a tooth and advanced/retarded my timing. My question now is, if I get it retimed, do you think it's just gonna do it again? Or am I gonna have to throw a 300 dollar kit at this thing while in there and replace the water pump, TB, tensioner etc?

Mozambiquer

TDI

Well found this article from 2007. Diesel clatter getting louder just like this guy. Unfortunately the guy never responded with what happened to his car. I think that my TB has jumped a tooth and advanced/retarded my timing. My question now is, if I get it retimed, do you think it's just gonna do it again? Or am I gonna have to throw a 300 dollar kit at this thing while in there and replace the water pump, TB, tensioner etc?
Do you know what brand kit it had on it? If the tensioner is loose, I'd probably at least replace that, and then replace everything on schedule, but that would depend on the brand of the kit that is in there. The other thing is that if you have to get all the way in there, it's almost better just to do the whole thing... But you don't have to get all the way down to fix the timing.

03_Jetta_TDI

TDI
2003 VW TDI
I don't know what brand got installed tbh, I feel the same way unfortunately, if I'm gonna start replacing stuff might as well buy the kit. What are the odds the last mechanic just didn't quite tighten down all the way or something? Probably slim I imagine as it at least lasted 3 years or so and 20 k miles. I'm down here at Uni so don't really got the tools or the time to take it down myself. Might start with just retiming the belt and tighten everything down again, a hundred dollars or so at my local guy.

03_Jetta_TDI

TDI
2003 VW TDI
Do you know what brand kit it had on it? If the tensioner is loose, I'd probably at least replace that, and then replace everything on schedule, but that would depend on the brand of the kit that is in there. The other thing is that if you have to get all the way in there, it's almost better just to do the whole thing... But you don't have to get all the way down to fix the timing.
Thanks for the advice, I really been appreciating it.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I don't know what brand got installed tbh, I feel the same way unfortunately, if I'm gonna start replacing stuff might as well buy the kit. What are the odds the last mechanic just didn't quite tighten down all the way or something? Probably slim I imagine as it at least lasted 3 years or so and 20 k miles. I'm down here at Uni so don't really got the tools or the time to take it down myself. Might start with just retiming the belt and tighten everything down again, a hundred dollars or so at my local guy.
I'd try that first, but inspect all the parts and make sure nothing is broken or damaged.

03_Jetta_TDI

TDI
2003 VW TDI
Hey so went to a mechanic today and got another one set up for tomorrow. He was able to pull P-1248 and a fault 17656 off with his Snapon computer. He was able to tell that the IP was indeed advanced and that it could be a couple of different causes. He talked about the N-108 valve going bad potentially. I pulled the number 34 fuse, 10 Amp, and it supposed to like alternate and the sound should fluctuate as the computer advances and retards it, didn't really get that. The car basically went into limp mode and wasn't sounding too good. Take a listen. Check out the youtube link, that's what it "should" sound like, not really getting that from my car I'd say.

Next step is the mechanic tomorrow with the real VAG-COM I guess and go from there. Hopefully this isn't an injection pump problem, maybe just some bad wires like in this link down below who has a pretty similar problem and was able to solve it. I'll keep you guys up to date on what I'm doing hopefully it works out and I can get to the bottom of it. Gonna check those wires right now.

03_Jetta_TDI

TDI
2003 VW TDI
Well got back from the mechanic and got it fixed. The mechanic was surprised the car was still running considering how advanced the timing was. When I checked that tension on the TB originally it wasn't that bad, a little sloppy, by the time he took off the cover he could slide the belt back and forth on the IP pulley. Kinda scary haha. He told me he could tighten it back down and readjust the timing, said it would take like an hour.

Well VW being VW, it ended up being 3 hours, it got to the point where he tried to re-advance the timing to where it used to be, because it wouldn't start anymore. So I didn't really fully hear nor understand what the mechanic said, but he said that somehow the Cam pulley was actually the problem that was causing the IP pulley to catch the slack. Like it was on 180 deg off of what it should be? Honestly, not really sure how that would affect all this. This mechanic basically just said it was an improper install of the TB and the computer was able to compensate for a while but eventually, because of the improper install it kept getting looser until this point.

That being said, this car has had 4 TB on it and the 3 that have been put on since the factory have all been done by my dad's same mechanic over the last 18 years. Never had a problem with the work he does. Maybe the family mechanic passed it off to the new guy that day in the shop, not sure. Appreciate all the help, if something happens again I'll let you guys know, hopefully it'll be okay.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
On my first TDI, a'99, I had a bad wire (#3?) in the bundle under the battery where it runs near the starter. It's one of the wires that runs direct from IP to ECU. The thing tested fine for resistance and continuity, but was not up to the task of carry the proper current (amperage?). It took a long, long time to find that. I even took it to one of the best TDI mechanics in the country, no joy. A few others have reported similar on the VE.