80 PSI Oil Pressure Gauge Enough?

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
I have the opportunity to pick up a Bernt 3-gauge pod with VDO gauges for: Volts, Water temp & Oil pressure.
I've done some research on other forums and don't feel I've have gotten a definitive answer on the oil pressure gauge. So I've come here for the definitive answer.

Is an 80 psi oil pressure gauge enough or should I get a 100 psi gauge?

I have a '05 NB TDI GLS

Thanks in advance

-Bob

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i think it's enough. i use the vdo 80 psi gauges

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
My engine hits 90 PSI on startup on a 10C day. In the winter I would not be surprised to see 115+. But I have an older engine design than you.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Thanks for the replies. If anyone else has any experience, please jump in :)

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i prefer the smaller granularity of the 80psi gauge, since 90% of the time oil pressure does not exceed 80psi, i'd rather be able to more easily see fluctations around 15psi where it's much more crucial as far as noticing an oil pressure problem, IMO

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
There is good chance that....
A healthy engine + using proper oil + cool temperature + above idle speed...
could pin (ie. "max out") an 80 PSI FS gauge. But that in itself shouldn't preclude you from using an 80PSI FS gauge... as the engine (oil temp) warms, the oil pressure will decrease to within range of the gauge.

I have an 80PSI oil pressure gauge installed in my 02 Jetta. In cool temps, at idle, the gauge indicates just under 80PSI. But the pressure falls (significantly) as oil temperature increases. On a hot day, with oil temp on the high side, it idles at about 16PSI. I use Pentosin 505.01 5W-40 oil.

If the gauge set is a good deal- go for it !

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Burpod is correct; 80 PSI is just fine. You likely won't damage anything from too high oil pressure, but too low is a different story.

My gauge goes a bit higher (it's a cheap electronic Princess Auto/HF gauge), but it never goes over 80 PSI. That could be because it has only an 80PSI sender or because it actually never goes higher - but it's only ever up there on a cold start just until the engine gets some temp. After that it falls to the 20-40 range at speed and 12-20 at idle depending on oil temp at the time.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Where do you have your sending units installed in the block? Interested in the ALH motor most of all, but still want to know about the others.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
If the VDO oil pressure sender is made any where but Germany, the vibes of the diesel engine will cause it to fail in about two months.

Sadly, VDO is basically 3rd world crap!

Sorry for the bad news, but I have experienced it first hand for the last time, even with the volt gauge!...... which is simplest of them all!

EDIT: Using a T made for billet brass stock, I used the OE oil pressure hole on the filter housing. I also used an 18 inch long "grease gun" hose to locate the oil pressure sending unit away from the engine supported on a spring to absorb the vibes.

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
If the VDO oil pressure sender is made any where but Germany, the vibes of the diesel engine will cause it to fail in about two months.

Sadly, VDO is basically 3rd world crap!

Sorry for the bad news, but I have experienced it first hand for the last time, even with the volt gauge!...... which is simplest of them all!

EDIT: Using a T made for billet brass stock, I used the OE oil pressure hole on the filter housing. I also used an 18 inch long "grease gun" hose to locate the oil pressure sending unit away from the engine supported on a spring to absorb the vibes.

interesting ...are you referring to the electric sender or mechanical one ?