'80 MK1 Rabbit TDI project in Portugal

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
CrAzYDr1veR said:
What i need:

Right green vent window Made In USA(remplace the not original one)
Red left marker light
Test fitting of the engine and brakes(280mm)
Does the car have the hinges that stick onto the glass, or do the hinges bolt on through the glass? I probably have one of those marker lights, but I don't know if it would be here.

CrAzYDr1veR

Veteran Member
TDI
MK1 Rabbit
window

sorry i bought the light last week on ebay and forgoto to remove this from the thread :p
as for the vent window it's glued type, but i don't mind buying two bolt throu windows they can't fall of as you drive on the roads :D
unfortunatly they are very expensive on ebay, or sellers ask too much money to send them

Last edited:

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
CrAzYDr1veR said:
sorry i bought the light last week on ebay and forgoto to remove this from the thread :p
as for the vent window it's glued type, but i don't mind buying two bolt throu windows they can't fall of as you drive on the roads :D
unfortunatly they are very expensive on ebay, or sellers ask too much money to send them :eek:
Shipping them would really be the problem. I might have one from a GTI, but I don't have a pair. Can you just use some from a Golf or are you worried about the tinting?

CrAzYDr1veR

Veteran Member
TDI
MK1 Rabbit
window2

i just want a green window like all the other ones on the car, the right one was exchanged by a clear one and all the other says made in usa :cool:

I have no idea why someone imported a car like that, all i know is that something like 20% of the mk1 i see every day are rabbits.

And i have two other euro idi mk1's here at home...

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
CrAzYDr1veR said:
i just want a green window like all the other ones on the car, the right one was exchanged by a clear one and all the other says made in usa :cool:

I have no idea why someone imported a car like that, all i know is that something like 20% of the mk1 i see every day are rabbits.

And i have two other euro idi mk1's here at home...
That is just bizarre...who would've thought there'd be that many US Rabbits in Europe. I used to have a German '79 Golf GTI with the Heron 1.6L. It was really rusty though and I eventually sold it because I decided I just didn't want to fix the rust (it was an east coast car for many years). Maybe one of these years I'll import a really nice Golf 1. A guy I know just imported a MK2 Golf GTD, but if it were 25 years old I don't think I'd have to modify anything or jump through any hoops at all. If you could post up the exact details of what the glass says on it (there are many different types) I can keep an eye out. I also have a ton of Rabbit glass that I need to get rid of so I can look there.

CrAzYDr1veR

Veteran Member
TDI
MK1 Rabbit

i could put any other green glass but keeping things original is always good, as for the engine this is a different story :p

tdicoupe

TDI
82jetta coupe w/98 1.9 tdi also throwing in and aba 2.0 into an 80 caddy
the throttle positioning sensor the go by wire as people would say

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Wait, did you say you had a USA-built Westmoreland Rabbit shipped to Portugal? Um, isn't Portugal in Europe? Why would you want an inferior car than what was readily available to you there? Or are the old A1 cars just that scarce there?

Good luck on your project, looks familiar LOL. :p

CrAzYDr1veR

Veteran Member
TDI
MK1 Rabbit
The pevious owner brought it here. I liked it so i bought it. Those cars are not scarce but having a A1 diffrent from the euro ones here makes it a little bit more special ;)

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Many "weird" US cars ended up in Portugal. Someone returning home from working abroad used to be able to import a car with minimal taxes, ending up with a car 1/4 to 1/2 the price of a comparable euro-purchase.
The switch to the EU made this less desirable, as you could theoretically fly to any EU country, buy a car and import it tax free.

Crazy, I speak Portuguese, and if you need any parts I'd be glad to help you with your project. PM me with your location in Portugal.

CrAzYDr1veR

Veteran Member
TDI
MK1 Rabbit
hi

the only thing i can't get here is a green vent window made in USA.
Anyone can tell me if there is a difference between the older and more recent side markers holes that are drilled on the fenders?

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
looks like you have built a real screamer! nice job! I better get on with the performance improvements, a friend of mine is swapping an AHU into a mk1...competition will be fierce!

CrAzYDr1veR

Veteran Member
TDI
MK1 Rabbit
ui

new turbo for next week
i wasn't able to find someone to make me a custom manifold so i had to find another solution

Deathloc

TDI
Rabbit
Nice build! I'm just initiating a 1.9td AAZ swap into my 82 Rabbit. I wish mine had the same front end as yours

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
Nice to know that the car is working very well.
Are you using the stock nozzles?

João

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
What's you're 1/4 mile and dyno looking like?

From the pics, looks like a 1z, stock internals?

CrAzYDr1veR

Veteran Member
TDI
MK1 Rabbit
Right now 1/4 mile and dyno are looking like crap i just broke a gearbox fork yesterday.
the engine is afn stock inside