8% increase in fuel mileage since mid-May

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
Beginning in April I noticed about a 4% drop in mileage.
Towards mid May I noticed mileage was a little better than normal at some gas stations.
Now my records show a consistent 8% increase in fuel mileage from all gas stations since mid-July.

I attribute this to ULSD fuel.

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
Frank M said:
Towards mid May I noticed mileage was a little better than normal at some gas stations.
Now my records show a consistent 8% increase in fuel mileage from all gas stations since mid-July.

:confused:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
That seems odd Frank - did you change oil during that time - what was your total miles in April vs July, maybe the break in - is this a new car.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Frank M said:

__. I haven't seen a consistent change in FE but I've gotten some good tanks since May. I recently filled at the first pump I've seen with a ULSD sticker (but whether this means anything other than the kid that the manager sent out there might have mixed up stickers, I'm not sure) - the fuel was clearer, had a more "gasoline-y" feel on my fingers, and smelled different. I got about 960 miles out of that tank -- and I was driving harder for that tank than I usually do.

__. YMMV, as they say.
'

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
Consistant 6-8% increase in mileage

I just re-fueled tonite and still have a consistent 6-8% increase in mileage.
My next oil change I will be installing 0w-40. Perhaps this will give me some additional boost.
Who know, maybe my mileage will get so high the oil companies will be paying me to use their fuel..:eek:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are you using additives - maybe the additives you use work better with ULSD than LSD. I dropped 8 to 9 % when I went from LSD to ULSD. I have been using ULSD since May. My car came with a full tank of LSD - I believe. The area stations still had LSD and I purchased 6 gallons for my car and 4 for my Kubota. It was still the dark color I have seen for over 15 years. On may 8th they delivered 250 gallons to my home and when I saw it I stopped the guy and said wait are you sure this is diesel 2 and he said yes on road #2. It was as clear as water no joke . So I put some in a glass to view, and it was crystal clear, clearer than the K1 I used to get for my Kerosun heater. Richard at Palmdale oil told me it was pure fuel no extra additives or coloring. I used PRI D for stability and Amsoil clear cetane boost as they could not tell me the cetane level he just said between 40 and 45. Maybe were you are located you get better fuel, a higher natural cetane.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
wjdell said:
Are you using additives - maybe the additives you use work better with ULSD than LSD.
If I understand you correctly, you are using fuel you purchased in May?
That is when I began to notice a difference.
I use no additives.

Fill up at a difference station and see what you mileage is..

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I want to buy 200 gals. as soon as possible before the price sky rockets - I just calculated and have 100 gallons my 275 gal tank. I need to burn up 50 before they can fit the 200 gal in my tank, thats a min they will deliver. I am hoping to get 200 in late October. I probably will not make it. :(

No additives my guess the ULSD better cetane is a benne for you.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Frank, this is very odd. I filled up with my 2nd tank of ULSD this afternoon (Shell @ $2.499) and I was very concerned that this tank was going to represent an all time low (still learning the car and fuel gage indications). However, when I performed my simple calcuation I found a great run - - my 2nd highest fuel economy ever!
I believe you're onto something and the refiners are probably starting to get their act together.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
DD - I here tell that Shell V diesel is made from 10% coal and that will give very good performance. That is a highly additised fuel and need no additives for sure.

tas

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2001 baltic green
i thought it was me but mileage has been awesome lately i buy fuel from the same place since new 140k ago i avg. 48.9 almost every tank and thats boston traffic on the way home (no traffic at 330 a.m)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Frank M said:
My next oil change I will be installing 0w-40. Perhaps this will give me some additional boost.
I thought you switched to Mobil 1 0w40 a long time ago.

Or have you been using Delvac all this time, while criticizing others who recommended it?

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
teeny weeny 1.9L TDi

TornadoRed said:
I thought you switched to Mobil 1 0w40 a long time ago.

Or have you been using Delvac all this time, while criticizing others who recommended it?
Whats with the chip on your shoulder???:confused:

Of course I wouldn't recommend it and neither will
Mobil.

I switched to Castrol 5w-40 at 180k
scroll back to your posts where you have also pointed this out to the forum.

Now that D1 is heavy diesel truck oil I can not use it in my teeny weeny 1.9L TDi.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Frank M said:
I switched to Castrol 5w-40 at 180k
scroll back to your posts where you have also pointed this out to the forum.
Now that D1 is heavy diesel truck oil I can not use it in my teeny weeny 1.9L TDi.
Okay, now I understand. There's the 5w40 for big engines and the 5w40 for little engines.

No, I'm sorry, I don't understand.

The oil doesn't care what you pour it into.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
TornadoRed said:
Okay, now I understand. There's the 5w40 for big engines and the 5w40 for little engines.

No, I'm sorry, I don't understand.

The oil doesn't care what you pour it into.
your post is confusing too. First you understand then you don't?:confused: :confused:

Maybe you can understand this.

One person can drink all the coffee they want yet another person can only drink decaff coffee, or suffer adverse effects.

The coffe doesn't really care who it goes into..

Last edited:

TDI
2000 Beetle TDi
okay.

Hey, do you guys know of any fuel additives that work like Gasser "Injector Cleaner" for TDi's? I drive about 160 miles a day and I'm getting 42 mpg. Looking to improve those numbers.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
The switch to ULSD has shown an improvement for many folks. The first fill-ups in 3 of 4 of my diesels was much better. The 4th, I included additive, and it decreased. The next fill up did not get additive and the economy returned to par with the other engines.
I've spoken to numerous owner/operators and all but 2 have experienced the same thing. This does go against the accepted understanding of what ULSD was expected to do...higher refining equates to lower product density equating to less energy per given volume of fuel.
The engines I have include 2 PD100's, one PD130 2.0 and one 15 litre 475 Cat rated at about 1750 ft lbs torque (it's been re-mapped). My weekly fuel usage is around 4000 litres or 2500 US gallons.
What I might suggest would prove to be prudent is the following. The summer saw a number of sustained changes in fuel supply. Therefore, some sort of fuel system cleaner run through the car and then a fuel filter change and an air filter change. You might just find that you're car will "wake-up".

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
1001100 said:
okay.

Hey, do you guys know of any fuel additives that work like Gasser "Injector Cleaner" for TDi's? I drive about 160 miles a day and I'm getting 42 mpg. Looking to improve those numbers.
Pretty much all those listed at the top of this thread. Check the back of the bottles at the store though.

160 miles...sounds like quite a bit of highway. How fast do you drive?

TDI
2000 Beetle TDi
Well, in my NB, I like to keep the Speedometer straight up. I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 72-74. After reading other posts that seems to be about par...

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
1001100 said:
Well, in my NB, I like to keep the Speedometer straight up. I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 72-74. After reading other posts that seems to be about par...
Auto or stick?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Doesn't sound odd for the 4-speed auto and with a NB. Sorry man, the NB has the worst aerodynamics of the NB, Golf, Jetta and Passat.

TDI
2000 Beetle TDi
Dude, if 42 MPG is something to apologize for, my car does not owe me anything. This is the first vehicle I have owned that when I get home at night, I still say to myself "Man, That is a fun car to drive." I actually find myself playing with the keys and feeling guilty for not taking it for a spin.....

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
1001100 said:
Dude, if 42 MPG is something to apologize for, my car does not owe me anything. This is the first vehicle I have owned that when I get home at night, I still say to myself "Man, That is a fun car to drive." I actually find myself playing with the keys and feeling guilty for not taking it for a spin.....
That's normal to want to drive it as often as possible :D

I haven't driven mine in over a week....having TDI withdrawal.

emile

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI 5-Speed, Reflex Silver
Whereabouts was this? i found an exxon (with an "esso diesel" sticker on the pump) in worcester at 2.49 but the lowest ive seen it anywhere else is ~2.60

dieseldorf said:
Frank, this is very odd. I filled up with my 2nd tank of ULSD this afternoon (Shell @ $2.499) and I was very concerned that this tank was going to represent an all time low (still learning the car and fuel gage indications). However, when I performed my simple calcuation I found a great run - - my 2nd highest fuel economy ever!
I believe you're onto something and the refiners are probably starting to get their act together.

bogeyboy99

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
Some of your increased mileage...as of late...can be attributed to cooler weather. I'm seeing increased mileage with no other changes than the temperature.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
josephd said:
Whereabouts was this?

ROJO Shell in Norwood on Rt1 south. It's a huge plaza. Cars are lined up literally 25 deep, 2 rows across. Fortunately, diesel owners can slide right to the head of the line.

itosu

TDI
many
Mpg-caps

I have been using MPG-CAPS from http://www.fuelffi.com to increase my fuel mileage they seem to really work. I have been getting an average of 23% increase in my fuel savings. The MPG-CAPS I am using suggest a max of 30% increase. It says it produces a red catalyse in your combustion chamber that alows the fuel to burn more efficiently and also causeing almost no fuel emissions.Thus, far they have been working wonders for me. I don't really have a way to test the emissions part but for saving fuel I give it 2 thumbs up. Winter is coming up and I hear they are suppose to help your car start as well. Since I am in Alaska that would help alot!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can you post your data and tell us what kind of car you have?

Please state your business relationship to the company in the link you posted, which doesn't work.

Daemon688

TDI
Golf, 2004, Indigo Blue
I've had 4 tanks of ULSD so far and have also noticed an increase in fuel economy. My driving styles have remained the same and additive usage has remained the same. My first tank of ULSD had a significant increase in fuel economy. With LSD is was getting 44-46 pretty consistently and now with ULSD I'm getting 47-49 consistently. I have however changed gas stations. The new gas station definately has many more semi-trucks that fuel up there. Fuel quality here could simply be better overall.