7.3 Powerstroke in Jetta Sportwagon.

907TDI

TDI
2009 sport wagon
Morning Folks, so I just bought a 2009 TDI Sportwagon from a “diesel mechanic” which has 102k miles. I believe his wife drove around town, so exhaust is probably gunked up. While driving it home the CEL came on, come to find out he cleared codes just before test drive. Codes P0111 and P026A. To remedy P0111 I cleaned MAF with MAF cleaner, I was being lazy and didnt remove from car just blasted it with a couple squirts. Upon firing it up, I heard a couple clunks, like any diesel does when you hit it with either. But now has a much louder “diesel” sound, not quite like my 7.3Powerstroke but definitely louder. The cleaner didnt work so I put in a new Bosch MAF. That took care of P0111 and after driving 50 miles all subsequent “idiots”lights on OBD reader cleared( red to green) as well(MIS,FUE,CCM,NOx). But still loud. I am taking to dealer next week for TB and will have them troubleshoot P026A. I wont be driving it ,out of abundance of caution. So I guess Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue-louder diesel sound-and what were findings. I know alot can go wrong with these high-tech emission contraptions, so not looking for diagnosis, I guess just some reassurance it will all be OK. TIA Eric

907TDI

TDI
2009 sport wagon
Overall its louder but if I had to pick one spot, I would say passenger side. You know, right where all the “important” parts are🙄

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Umm, ya that could be bad. Tho if your having a TB donraybe wait till after and report back if it sounds the same or not.
Is there any pinging, ticking, knocking?

Btw. Not to say I'm disappointed, but i was really hoping someone accidentally put a 7.3 into wagon swap thread in this section. I got really excited when i thought a big American diesel was going in a jetta wagon lol.