68 Camaro Alh conversion

68ss

TDI
68 Camaro with 02 alh turbo diesel
I wont be back for a while. If I dont get any bites then I may just finish and make it a daily driver.

Now IF the car isnt sold..
Heres what I would need to complete it.
Outer rocker panels :150
Finish body leading quarter panels:90
VW sending unit in gas tank:25
Headliner:95
Dynamat:250
Radio:250
Speakers:500
Add/Remove metal from trunk panel:20
New rear window:100
Repair lower doors:50
Retractable Three Point Belts:290
Rear seat belts:80
Door lock set:70
Misc Parts:400

Engine work:
Upgrade turbo:950
Tune:350
Vag com cable:250
Replace glow plugs:60
Compression Tester:50

Paintjob:2500?

Seatcovers:650
Not including Labor time:7180
I may be able to cut a thousand off price If I do body work and get some deals.

Someone Blogged the Camaro: http://gas2.org/2014/05/08/turbodiesel-powered-1968-camaro-is-a-40-mpg-hot-rod/

Last edited:

disco biscuit

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Man I skipped ahead in the thread cause i couldnt wait to see this really cool project in fast fwd mode. I hate to see it given up on...even worst to land right in the middle of people dreaming the junk diesel ever made 6.2 would somehow save this project...lol. Seeing people restore a 6.2 is funny to me...after this motor the diesel world changed forever...not only Chevrolet, but every manufacturer in the world said whatever we do it can't turn out like this P.O.S. Lol

68ss

TDI
Man I skipped ahead in the thread cause i couldnt wait to see this really cool project in fast fwd mode. I hate to see it given up on...even worst to land right in the middle of people dreaming the junk diesel ever made 6.2 would somehow save this project...lol. Seeing people restore a 6.2 is funny to me...after this motor the diesel world changed forever...not only Chevrolet, but every manufacturer in the world said whatever we do it can't turn out like this P.O.S. Lol

Yeah I havent been able to read the thread for a while and when I came back all these poatings are arguments.

I dont like things sitting around and theres no way for me to work on car being deployed, so well see. You guys are motivating me to get it done. Its all about money at this point.

disco biscuit

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
You done good in a motivated way until the stoppage. You posses a trait I don't...don't allow a small setback and timeline hurt you. I think you'd have been successful in this install so don't let life kill what you want out of it. I can't imagine deployment thrown in with my day to day problems so hats off to ya and deal with it however you see fit regarding this project and whatever else you got.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been subscribed to this from the beginning-love it. If you can do it, seems like it will give you something to think about and look forward to while you are deployed. Thanks for building this, and for your service.

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
Now that it's on the road, you can always plug away at the other stuff over the long term. The hardest part is done; when you return from deployment, you can always pick up where you left off.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Added to the conversion list, if you make anymore progress please post up, its a very cool build

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine

Wow! It's been a long time since I visited this build Thread. I never expected to see it turn out like this..... literally!:eek:

Yes, there were times I considered giving up on my project. In fact, as I removed the gasser engine and associated parts, I labeled and boxed them just in case I got to the "give up" point and wanted to re-store it to original condition.

Anyway, does anyone see anything glaringly wrong in this picture?

By design, all cooling systems have the hot coolant going in the top of the radiator and the cooled coolant returning to the engine from the bottom. I'm not sure how well this set-up would work over the long-run. Cooled coolant flows "down" much better than "up" as in the above set-up!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Cooled coolant flows "down" much better than "up" as in the above set-up!
That's correct if you're relying on natural convection but in any engine system you have the coolant pump forcing the water to go where it is plumbed. Horizontal/vertical, left/right, up/down....doesn't matter. Think of it in terms of potential energy...if you have a high pressure region and a low pressure region, where does the high pressure coolant want to go? To the low pressure region...always. As the coolant cools off (becomes more dense) when it moves from high pressure to low pressure, well this change in density adds to the pressure differential already present by the inlet/outlet pressure differential presented by the water pump.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
That's correct if you're relying on natural convection but in any engine system you have the coolant pump forcing the water to go where it is plumbed. Horizontal/vertical, left/right, up/down....doesn't matter. Think of it in terms of potential energy...if you have a high pressure region and a low pressure region, where does the high pressure coolant want to go? To the low pressure region...always. As the coolant cools off (becomes more dense) when it moves from high pressure to low pressure, well this change in density adds to the pressure differential already present by the inlet/outlet pressure differential presented by the water pump.
actually there is another reason OE's plumb their cooling systems with suction (low pressure) in the bottom of the rad and return at the top ... if it's plumbed "backward" and coolant level ever drops below the upper radiator nipple then pumping stops and the engine overheats ... so the way the camaro is plumbed above is asking for trouble unless the coolant is 100% topped off 100% of the time

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
actually there is another reason OE's plumb their cooling systems with suction (low pressure) in the bottom of the rad and return at the top ... if it's plumbed "backward" and coolant level ever drops below the upper radiator nipple then pumping stops and the engine overheats ... so the way the camaro is plumbed above is asking for trouble unless the coolant is 100% topped off 100% of the time
Good point Jim. :)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
But, that is exactly why you install the OE round expansion tank and wire it into the electrical system to let you know when the coolant level gets low.;)

It just seems that it would be much easier for the coolant to "sink" down thru the Rad as it cools off... OE design is that way.

metzger

TDI
01 Jetta, 10 A3, 14 IS350F
Did this ever sell or does 68ss still own it? Anyone know the current status? Really cool swap.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Wow. This is amazing. The two cars that I am very familiar with merged. I was a 60s camaro guru back in the day (high school). Rebuilt my first motor without adult interference when I was 15 yrs.

I could quote you stats of many options. I owned a 69 RS/SS Convertible with a 396/350hp engine...and A/C. THis thread brings back memories!

I sure would like to know where it ended up.

68ss

TDI
The car stayed on the road for a few more months and started having a problem with the injection pump sucking in air and loosing prime while running. I would have to coast on the side of the road and bleed each injector until it ran. The problem kept re-appearing another 20 min down the road. It began to get frustrating and installed a Holley RED pump inline to give the injection pump higher pressure. After the drive train was pulled, I came to the conclusion that the injection pump must have a leaking seal, putting a small amount of air in the system.

The rolling body was sold to someone who wants it to be original.

The drive train was sold to a TDI owner who wanted a spare motor.

Last edited:

68ss

TDI
Picked up a 280z a while ago and did an RB26DETT swap. Sold it and now onto a first gen Honda insight averaging 65 mpg!

Eventually I'll post a video collection of the build and driving around + a diesel burnout!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Ive driven a number of hybrids and even an insight for a month or two. Getting good mph out of them for a TDI driver requires a totally different driving technique.