68 Camaro Alh conversion

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Nooooo!!!!! Don't give up!!!! You're soooo close to having a bada$$ ride!!!! Please PLEASE finish it!!!! Pretty please?

68ss

TDI
68 Camaro with 02 alh turbo diesel
Nooooo!!!!! Don't give up!!!! You're soooo close to having a bada$$ ride!!!! Please PLEASE finish it!!!! Pretty please?

Don't have the time to get it done. See if I get any bites on it. If not maybe let it sit for some time and finish

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Might have more luck selling the engine and car separate.

99% of the world outside the TDI community would not find this engine swap desireable.

if it were done and you had records of 35mpg filups maybe it would be a little bit easier to sell. But a 90hp 4 banger in a muscle car isnt going to appeal to the hot rod crowd.

Last edited:

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Might have more luck selling the engine and car separate.

99% of the world outside the TDI community would not find this engine swap desireable.

if it were done and you had records of 35mpg filups maybe it would be a little bit easier to sell. But a 90hp 4 banger in a muscle car isnt going to appeal to the hot rod crowd.
Yea, definitely got a point here. Now that I think about it, you could sell the motor, harness, trans, and possibly the rest of the drive train to someone looking to do a swap into a RWD car or truck. I'm sure somebody would pay a pretty penny to get the entire setup together with most of the kinks already worked out.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

68ss

TDI
Yea, definitely got a point here. Now that I think about it, you could sell the motor, harness, trans, and possibly the rest of the drive train to someone looking to do a swap into a RWD car or truck. I'm sure somebody would pay a pretty penny to get the entire setup together with most of the kinks already worked out.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm hanging in there, have over a thousand views on Ebay with quite a few watchers. Any idea what a fair price would be for complete running drivetrain (Engine, adapter plate, trans, and driveshaft), plus wiring harness (all the unnecessary wires are removed). Also just put a new 6 puck clutch in.

68ss

TDI
Here's some final pics I took last week Before I shipped out.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
ugh, that flat black, just looks so redneck, primer gray would have looked like it was still in the process of getting worked on...

Dents, rust, I just dont see where the 24 grand number came from.

8v-of-fury

Lol. Flat black says meh, its paint.

Primer would have been a sure fire way to rot out those panels if it ever got wet..

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
Sorry to see you give up on it - that turned out to be a pretty cool swap, not to mention all the work you put into rebuilding the body.

turbonator

TDI
none, only IDI
if it was us we would have dropped in a 6.2l diesel, much easier and cheaper to hit 200WHP, nice job just the same.....

8v-of-fury

With so much more weight though... It would have been slower at the same HP.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Sad to see you selling it off, unique project for sure.

With so much more weight though... It would have been slower at the same HP.
Nope, add a turbo, hold on, :D

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
fuel filter is on backward ;)... it's a unique project for sure but where is the $5600 for the drivetrain? is the engine brand new ? ... i can buy a complete running TDI swap for around $1k with harness... $600 for an acme kit another $150 for a used 2wd w56 ... am i missing something ? again glws but you may want to be a bit more realistic on your pricing ... i agree with above that it's best to sell the shell apart from the drivetrain ... you will find the widest buyer appeal that way

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
A 6.2 with a turbo doesn't all of the sudden become OMFG fast lol.
I think the 6.5's fully done up can only deliver maybe 300whp.. LLAAMMEE
And even then you're just waiting for that block to come apart or the crank to shear into two pieces. They are decent motors as long as you leave then stock.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
duramax ;)... or just slap a cheap LS motor in with a carb intake kit and call it day :)
Agreed but dollar for dollar, a 6.2/6.5 is cheaper to do. Unless your going balls out, it will easily fit the bill, better than the ALH. :cool:

A 6.2 with a turbo doesn't all of the sudden become OMFG fast lol.

I think the 6.5's fully done up can only deliver maybe 300whp.. LLAAMMEE
No, but it helps, ever driven one?

HP isn't everything, heard of that thing called torque? Yeah, 300 hp isn't earth shattering but with a turbo or not, they get high teens for MPG and can burn anything.

Even with 3.08 gears, I can tow 6500-7000 lbs nicely.

And even then you're just waiting for that block to come apart or the crank to shear into two pieces. They are decent motors as long as you leave then stock.
Right, you've been reading too many intraweb story's. The 6.2's are virtually bulletproof, the odd one cracks the main webs. Certain years of 6.5's were poorly cast but GEP fixed all that. I push 20 psi thru mine all day long, have for over a year and burning waste fuels for 6 months of that.

Here's a vid proving my 20 psi-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6gQaVpTsAw

Last edited:

8v-of-fury

No, but it helps, ever driven one?

HP isn't everything, heard of that thing called torque? Yeah, 300 hp isn't earth shattering but with a turbo or not, they get high teens for MPG and can burn anything.

Even with 3.08 gears, I can tow 6500-7000 lbs nicely.

I push 20 psi thru mine all day long, have for over a year and burning waste fuels for 6 months of that.

Here's a vid proving my 20 psi-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6gQaVpTsAw
I know it helps, I know how the universe works when it comes to forced induction. 20 psi all day long is a wild claim though isn't it? Foot to the floor everywhere you go? Like my old 1981 1.6 Non-turbo..

A year is hardly definitive of anything as well, cool video though. Is that EGT under the boost? Celsius or Fahrenheit? If it is EGT, it would seem you could easily up the fuel a **** load.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know it helps, I know how the universe works when it comes to forced induction. 20 psi all day long is a wild claim though isn't it? Foot to the floor everywhere you go? Like my old 1981 1.6 Non-turbo..

A year is hardly definitive of anything as well, cool video though. Is that EGT under the boost? Celsius or Fahrenheit? If it is EGT, it would seem you could easily up the fuel a **** load.
Why is 20 psi all day long a wild claim? I drive it like I stole it. I bet I hit 20 psi half a dozen times a day, merging, its WOT. :D Countless others on my diesel forum run that and more for years.

If you can't break it in a year, then its usually good to go. I should have been a tester for the OE's, I can break anything and have.

That other guage is IAT and the non working gauge is drive pressure. With this combo, I get aprox a 1.5:1 ratio, which is pretty good as you know.

Haven't checked EGT's since the summer, blew up my gauge by accident hooking up the wiring, dumb move on my part and haven't bothered to reinstall one. Going to and leaving Spokane are some serious hills, same going to Kamloops, WOT for a good 3-5+ minutes and still going strong. Trying to blow it up but haven't yet, :confused: :eek: :p

Last edited:

8v-of-fury

I didn't think it could possibly be EGT, you run an inter cooler?

Yup, that is a good ratio.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I didn't think it could possibly be EGT, you run an inter cooler?

Yup, that is a good ratio.
Sorry, just added more info. No intercooler, I'll install one one day, ;) Can't be bothered.

I run an HX35, 12 cm housing with an HX40 Volvo factory 56mm billet compressor wheel.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Right, you've been reading too many intraweb story's. The 6.2's are virtually bulletproof, the odd one cracks the main webs
Weird. My research showed that only the early 6.2 blocks with high nickel content were the ones to break the norm of cracking main webs. I found this out myself when I had to go through four 6.2s before I found one that hadn't formed cracks in the main webs (the aforementioned redblock).

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Weird. My research showed that only the early 6.2 blocks with high nickel content were the ones to break the norm of cracking main webs. I found this out myself when I had to go through four 6.2s before I found one that hadn't formed cracks in the main webs (the aforementioned redblock).
The redblocks were no better. They do crack, some last forever, some don't but the 506 6.5 were brutal for coming apart.

Its still a cheap engine, a guy is selling a Military rebuild, complete for $400. As I mentioned, GEP retooled it and they are now bulletproof.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI