65535 Air bag fault code wont clear (another one :))

ytk

TDI
MK3
65535 Air bag fault code wont clear (another one :))FIXED!

As in other cases the air bag light came on with no apparent reason. Scanning resulted in :
Address 15: Airbags Labels: 1J0-909-60x-VW3.lbl
Part No: 1J0 909 603 AC
Component: AIRBAG VW3 - V04
Coding: 16707
Shop #: WSC 06402
VCID: 6ADB2423168A324E2A7-4A3A
1 Fault Found:
65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
00-00 - -
I am not able to clear it. Before replacing the module I am thinking of getting this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-AIRBAG-LIGHT-System-Reset-Tool-And-Crash-Data-Erase-Tool-For-The-MOT-/230780858405?hash=item35bb9c7025:g:dU0AAMXQ6DBSC1eR
air bag reset tool , will it do any better than VCDS?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If VCDS won't clear it that device certainly won't. I think youre probably looking at replacing that module. How did it go bad? Assuming it is. Did it get wet?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Disconnect the battery. Disconnect the air bag controller. Reconnect the air bag controller. Reconnect the battery. Clear all codes with VCDS. If the codes come back. Replace the air bag controller.

Be sure and get the EXACT number that's on your current controller. Ebay for $18 to $20.

ytk

TDI
MK3
Appreciate the comments ,thanks. The air bag light came on for no apparent reason. Battery is OK.
The problem with my vw model (Polo classic SDI ,Europe) is that it seems I need to remove the dashboard to freely get to the module , will be happy with any info on how to get to it.

medman

TDI
Check connections

Had similar issue a while back . Make sure battery is disconnected. First check connections under both seats.if those connections are good check connections in the a- pillar. The passenger side a-pillar connection in my car was disconnected. Somehow the previous owner had some work done under passenger seat . Didn't reconnect harness correctly and then when passenger adjusted seat the a-pillar connection disconnected. Reconnected everything cleared with vag-com and voila no code.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Once I worked on an Audi A4. It involved disconnecting the battery.
After everything was finished, reconnected the battery and got the Airbag light with that 65-thousand code which would not clear. Nothing has been done inside the cabin, nor messed with electrical systems. The cause of the fault/light is unknown.

ytk, let me know if you manage to get rid of the 65535 code and the airbag light.

ytk

TDI
MK3
Just an Update, It seems I was able to clear the airbag code and light using the device described in the first post. I got it as a last option before diving into getting the module out . I dont really know how is it any different from using VCDS on this...
Used it about a week ago, at first the failed light came on but after another cycle of running the engine the light was off and the code was cleared and still is today.
Is it safe to assume the module is ok and will function in an emergency? I really hope so.