Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
the details:
15k on the odo
700 mile trip across TN to Smokies and back
me, wife, 2 kids, dog, bags
75-80mph entire way
90 degree temps (AC blasting the whole way)
steady mix of rock n roll and Narnia books on tape
62.7 mpg readout

even assuming the MFD is inaccurate, i would've been happy with mid 40's.
60+ is just bonkers in these conditions.

thanks Kerma, you're the grooviest!:)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Pretty much zero chance that's an accurate readout at those speeds and conditions. I'd expect you were actually getting mid to high 40's. Try calculating it yourself on the next trip to find out how much of an adjustment needs to be made to the mfd.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I’d guess mid 50’s at best, calculated actual miles per gallons used.
At 65-70 MPH on a road trip, no tune, mine does about 55 mpg.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
hard to believe the mfd is that ridiculously off. anything in the 50's is beyond what i'd imagined even with the stage 2 i'm rocking. if mine is 10-15% optimistic like many others who've posted about it, then it's mid 50's.

can only imagine mpg will get even better as engine break-in occurs.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
My highest actual mpg on a tank was 62.6 mpg and the MFD readout was 66.4 mpg. That was driving an empty car much slower than you are reporting and not using A/C. On a road trip I took across the Midwest this summer driving in nearly the exact speeds and conditions you describe, I got about 49 mpg actual. You probably do get a bump in efficiency with a tune (I'm stock), so you may have cracked into the low to mid 50s, which is awesome hauling butt with a full load of people and cargo.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
My highest actual mpg on a tank was 62.6 mpg and the MFD readout was 66.4 mpg. That was driving an empty car much slower than you are reporting and not using A/C. On a road trip I took across the Midwest this summer driving in nearly the exact speeds and conditions you describe, I got about 49 mpg actual. You probably do get a bump in efficiency with a tune (I'm stock), so you may have cracked into the low to mid 50s, which is awesome hauling butt with a full load of people and cargo.
yeah, it's all gravy - 50, 60 or whatever. maybe i'll hand calculate next road trip, but i'll likely forget and just enjoy the fab tune and whatever the mfd says she's doing.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You really should try calculating it out sometime. It's nice to know how accurate the mfd is. If it's way off, you can correct it. Fwiw, Fuelly has data from 20k fill-ups and over 8 million miles on '15 Golf tdi's- the combined average is 41.5 mpg.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
I drove a 300mile trip in similar situation and got 50.3mpg hand calculated (just under 6 gallons,topped off to the filler). I also have Kerma and it's great! Dash read 57mpg. It's possible (and more likely) that OP got mid 50s mpg. Pretty good still, I don't know another car that would be as enjoyable and get as good mpgs in that trip.

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI
On a road trip from Greenville SC to Washington DC (I-85N to 95N), i had cruise set to 70 for most of the way. The car indicated 57, but hand calc said 50. My wife has been recently tracking car reading vs calculated. It seems when the calculated values are under 45mpg, the car is reading things a little more accurately. This was with Phase 1 complete at the time of purchase (15' golf sportwagen dsg).

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
I was keeping track of indicated vs. calculated for each tank to make the correction...

Now after phase 2 it doesn't show an indicated MPG for the whole tank, but only "since restart" or something like that.
Anyone else noticed this?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I was keeping track of indicated vs. calculated for each tank to make the correction...
Now after phase 2 it doesn't show an indicated MPG for the whole tank, but only "since restart" or something like that.
Anyone else noticed this?
If you're talking about the infotainment display, it should default to "Since start" trip mode after each restart, regardless of what mode it was in when last driven, but can be manually scrolled to "Since refuel" or "Extended period" mode.

If you're talking about the MFA display, it should remain in whichever of the 3 modes it was in when last driven.

Or are you saying that when in "Since refuel" mode, fuel consumption doesn't display at all?

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks,

I didn't realize that info was on the "infotainment" display. It does show all the possibilities.

The display between tachometer and speedometer now shows "Since start" mileage, previously it would show "since refuel". Is there a way to change that? Mileage since start isn't that useful to me.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Thanks,

I didn't realize that info was on the "infotainment" display. It does show all the possibilities.

The display between tachometer and speedometer now shows "Since start" mileage, previously it would show "since refuel". Is there a way to change that? Mileage since start isn't that useful to me.
Yes, just toggle the black "OK" button on the steering wheel.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks.
Sounds like I'm due to reread the owners manual, the whole thing... I only made it 3/4 way through the first time.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Kerma and Malone tunes skew and already skewed MFD result, well beyond the 10% adjustable via coding, just nature of the beast.

With that being said use that MFD as a litmus test, our Passat routinely gets 50-52MPG on the MFD on longer trips to Maine, but hand calculated only gets 45-48MPG. So if you're seeing 60+MPG you're still killing it.

Biggest thing if you can get 500-600 miles per the +11 gallon tank of the GSW, you're doing darn good.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
fair enough. i may not even bother and just let myself enjoy the inflated numbers a la fans in the baseball's steroid era.:D car is fun, and is getting great mpg's even before broken in, so no worries here.

i'm almost tempted to skip the phase 2 fix since they've denied restitution without explanation. on the other hand, warranty extension is nice - and i might enjoy flaunting my Kerma decal at the stealership!

Kerma and Malone tunes skew and already skewed MFD result, well beyond the 10% adjustable via coding, just nature of the beast.

With that being said use that MFD as a litmus test, our Passat routinely gets 50-52MPG on the MFD on longer trips to Maine, but hand calculated only gets 45-48MPG. So if you're seeing 60+MPG you're still killing it.

Biggest thing if you can get 500-600 miles per the +11 gallon tank of the GSW, you're doing darn good.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
FWIW
This MFA calculation error is much closer to accurate on the Phase 2 kerma tune. It's now close enough that you could tweak it in with VCDS.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
^

It also was never a regular problem for Malone, only had a couple instances mentioned and Mark could just adjust it based on the customers feedback. The gauge is mostly useful for showing instantaneous mileage to help create more efficient driving habits, measuring at the pump is always best.

Last edited:

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
FWIW
This MFA calculation error is much closer to accurate on the Phase 2 kerma tune. It's now close enough that you could tweak it in with VCDS.
as in "stage 2" karma tune, not phase 2 of VW fix with stage 1 tune, yes?

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
No offense-

useless data is useless. Hand calc is the only accurate way.

Ive got fix stage 1 (no tune) and when the MFI reads 45 or so I average 41-42, this is mostly my 75% highway commute.

I hope to have a malone some day, but theyre expensive and I dont really have the cash for it right now. Or the second part of the fix done.....

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Out of curiosity, would you risk losing the tune when you get the phase 2 "fix"?

Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

tdiinsc

TDI
Out of curiosity, would you risk losing the tune when you get the phase 2 "fix"?
Anyone, anyone, Bueller?
Phase 2 does require re-flashing of the ecu, so you’d most likely have to get the ecu re-flashed if you had a kerma or Malone tune. I’d be willing to guess either would give you a break on the price for a retune however.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Essentially what I was thinking, but I have an MKiv at the moment, and have been considering an MKVII lately.

tdiinsc

TDI
Essentially what I was thinking, but I have an MKiv at the moment, and have been considering an MKVII lately.
I have a mark vi but I bought it recently enough where phase 1 and 2 were completed prior to sale. I waited a month or so before I got the green diesel tune.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
as in "stage 2" karma tune, not phase 2 of VW fix with stage 1 tune, yes?
I think if you have phase 2 EPA fix that was performed by the VW dealer, and then you get your kerma tune (not sure if it's the same tune as phase 1 emissions fix of or files still need to be exchanged) the MFd is more in line with hand calculated.

Our Passat is still Phase 1 emissions with Malone stg 1+ (low torque for DMF shudder) with about 25K on the clock. Not sure when we'll do phase 2.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a mark vi but I bought it recently enough where phase 1 and 2 were completed prior to sale. I waited a month or so before I got the green diesel tune.

Not to jump on OP's original post... What is your opinion about the green tune?
Who built it? Was it worth it in your opinion?