60K plus miles in and repairs will almost total last year vehicle purchase

013_TDI

TDI
(2013 Passat TDI SE 2.0 - Sold) 2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI Premium Plus Sport Edition
I bought my 2013 Passat TDI March of 2021 and a month later I had to drop 2.1K for water pump and timing belt replacement. The car had 32K on it. At 40K I had my first dsg service. I hit a deer just before 60K and my second dsg service. After repares and dsg service engine light came on, AC started making an odd noise, and just recently I heard a metallic clanging noise.

Took the car not the dealer and I got a 7K estimate for repairs - I’m really bummed because this car has been running great otherwise. I don’t have 7K and with that amount n repaires I can’t sell it (maybe trade it in?)...

Advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Show us the estimate so we can see what kind of issues\repairs they are quoting.
The vehicle isn't a lemon if it was damaged in an accident and not properly (or completely) fixed.
You'll also need to find an independent mechanic to address your repairs as that alone will probably bring your costs down to 60% or so.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
First, you got screwed royally if you paid $2100 for a timing belt and water pump on a CKRA engine. I realize I am not in your crazy state, but our shop could have done it TWICE for that, and you'd have change.

Second, a deer strike is not the car's fault, and who knows what damage that did.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Isn't the DSG interval every 40k? Why did you get a second one done at 60k? Or what the system damaged by your deer hunting?

013_TDI

TDI
Recommended Services

Our technicians recommend the following services for your vehicle:

Original Customer RequestsEstimateDeclinedApproved
CUSTOMER STATES WHEN AC IS IN USED HAS MAKING LOUD NOISE CONSISTENLY CUSTOMER STATES SOUND LIKE A BOILER BUBBLING AND WHEN SWITCH TO ANOTHER AREA TO FEET, FACE OR DEFROST A WHINNING NOISE IS MADE. CUSTOMER IS SENDING VIDEOS OF THE NOISES TO ADVISOR. $189.00
DRIVABILITY CONCERN. CUSTOMER STATES WHEN VEHICLE IS PUT ON TO DRIVE OR REVERSE A METAL SCRAPING, AND CLUNKING NOISE IS HEAR WHEN YOU BEGIN TO MOVE. CUSTOMER IS SENDING VIDEO OF NOISE TO ADVISOR. CHECK AND ADVISE.$189.00
FOUND NOISE FROM 2 AREAS. 1ST COMING FROM 2 PIECE FLY WHEEL. NOISE HEARD WHEL GOING BACK AND FORTH IN GEAR WITH VEHICLE. NEEDS FLYWHEEL REPLACED AND ALL PARTS NEEDED TO REPLACE FLYWHEEL.
BOLTS FOLR FLYWHEEL
3 TRANSMISSION MOUNT BOLTS,
NEEDLE BEARING FOR TRANSMISSION
4 TRANSMISSION MOUNT BOLTS
4 COOLANT
2 FRONT SUB FRAME BOLTS
4 REAR SUB FRAME BOLTS
6 LOWER CONTROL ARM NUTS
2 TIE ROD END NUTS
2 SWAY BAR LINK NUTS
2 AXLE BOLTS
12 AXLE BOLTS
1 STEERING RCK BOLT
$2,767.82
Needs Approval
Decline Approve
FOUND NOISE COMING FROM FULE INJECTORS WHEN DRIVING AT SLOW SPEED AND ACCELERATING AND DECERATING. VEHICLE HAS LOSS POWER WHEN NOISE IS MOVING.
4 FUEL INJECTORS
4 FUEL INJECTOR SEALS IN CYLINDER HEADS
4 ORINGS IN INJECTOR BASE TO CYLINDER HEADS
4 COPPER WASHERS FO INJECTORS
4 O RINGS FOR FUEL LINE TO INJECTORS
4 HOLD DOWN BOLTS FOR INJECTORS
1 FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR VALVE
1 FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR O RING
$1,624.25
Needs Approval
Decline Approve
CHECK AND SET TIRE PRESSURES.Internal
PERFORM COMPLIMENTARY VEHICLE MULTI-POINT VISUAL INSPECTION, CHECK AND SET TIRE PRESSURESInternal
Subtotal$4,770.07$378.00
Inspection RecommendationsEstimateDeclinedApproved
Tire Recommendations: Tire(s) Need Replacement
Replace 2 Tires. 215/55/R17 DORAL SDL 55A
$316.00
Needs Approval
Decline Approve
Alignment Check: Found tires wearing unevenly
Perform four wheel alignment
$129.95
Needs Approval
Decline Approve
Check Engine Light: Found instrument cluster warning light illuminated
Diagnose check engine light
Drive Belts: Serpentine Belt(s) Worn/Cracked/Damaged
Replace Serpentine Belt(s)
$222.50
Needs Approval
Decline Approve
Fluid Leaks: Oil Leak
Replace camshaft seal(s) MAY WANT TO ALSO REPLACE TIMING BELT AND WATER PUMP WITH CAMSHAFT SEAL.
CAMSHAFT SEAL
TIMING BELT
TENSIONER AND TENSIONER NUT
3 IDLERS AND 3 IDLER BOLTS
TOOTHED BELT
3 CRANSHAFT BOLTS
WATER PUMP AND WATER PUMP BOLTS
2 MOTOR MOUNT BOLTS.
3 LOWER MOTOR MOUN BOLTS.
$1,671.43
Needs Approval
Decline Approve
Subtotal$2,339.88
Left Rear Tire / Tread Depth and or Condition: Abnormal Tire Wear
See Tire Recommendation Below
Subtotal
Totals, Taxes and FeesEstimateDeclinedApproved
Estimate Subtotal$7,109.95$378.00
Shop Fee
Tax
Estimate Total$7,109.95$378.00

013_TDI

TDI
Isn't the DSG interval every 40k? Why did you get a second one done at 60k? Or what the system damaged by your deer hunting?
The dealer told me that I had to do dsg service at 60k - there has been no discussion of the colisión with the deer causing any other underlying issues at this point....

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OMG
Read your maintenance schedule.
Stop going to that dealer.
I can't even read that estimate... they want to do a 2nd Timing Belt and Water Pump on a vehicle with 60k on it?
OMFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFG

013_TDI

TDI
OMG
I can't even read that estimate... they want to do a 2nd Timing Belt and Water Pump on a vehicle with 60k on it?
OMFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFG
They are saying that they have to take the timing belt off to get at the flywheel of the transmission. Is that correct? I’m competent with gas engines, but I’m still learning about diesel engines, inparticular this 2.0 4 cylinder compact engine

013_TDI

TDI
T
OMG
OMFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFG
i was told this morning that they may not have to do the timing belt and water pump, but they will have to do the flywheel and camshaft seal. I was also told that the injectors will be covered by warranty. So that costs could come down a bit, but I’m still bummed at how much I have had to put into this car in less than 12 months...

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, I have that pdf
So instead of trusting that document, you just went along with what the dealer "told you"?
If you take their direction over anything else, why are you here asking any of us anything?
Just ask the dealer! I'm sure they won't agree with anything we say around here!

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
T
i was told this morning that they may not have to do the timing belt and water pump, but they will have to do the flywheel and camshaft seal. I was also told that the injectors will be covered by warranty. So that costs could come down a bit, but I’m still bummed at how much I have had to put into this car in less than 12 months...
You were ripped off, multiple times that’s why you’ve spent so much money on repairs. Don’t go there anymore and write a negative review on google or Yelp to warn others.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Sounds like the king of upsales works at that dealership. From my experiance, ca., here at least in the central valley anyway, has a very limited skilled TDI tech. base.
I love my VWs but VW and its dealership ethics made my great lil' JSW my last new VW

013_TDI

TDI
So instead of trusting that document, you just went along with what the dealer "told you"?
If you take their direction over anything else, why are you here asking any of us anything?
Just ask the dealer! I'm sure they won't agree with anything we say around here!
I recall getting a dsg service notice on my MiFi which is why I agreed (I had a def notice as well, I added that myself), I can’t remember exactly as I have had soo much going on lately.

Also, I”m here for advice and experiences your criticisms aren ANY help. You started off good though. Thanks!

Last edited:

013_TDI

TDI
There is a limited set of skilled tdi mechanics everywhere. Some are blessed to have a good one near them.
i heard good things about Tracy VW, that’s why I went there initially. Elk Grove VW is the other option that is relative close to me, I’ll have to research them. I’m not sure of where to begin looking for reputable VW mechanic that will have time and is near me.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
i heard good things about Tracy VW, that’s why I went there initially. Elk Grove VW is the other option that is relative close to me, I’ll have to research them. I’m not sure of where to begin looking for reputable VW mechanic that will have time and is near me.
Ive had good luck with Tracy VW on my warrenty work. How is Elk grove. I'm right in the middle of the 2 mileagewise

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
T
Camshaft seal is covered under warranty, as is a rear main.if they will have it all apart for the cam seal....

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive had good luck with Tracy VW on my warrenty work. How is Elk grove. I'm right in the middle of the 2 mileagewise
Was Tracy VW the dealer that gave the estimate (1st post)?

013_TDI

TDI
I felt that they were doing good work also. I had to pull over on the side of the road after I saw their estimate 😅

013_TDI

TDI
Camshaft seal is covered under warranty, as is a rear main.if they will have it all apart for the cam seal....
Good to know, I’ll be sure to bring that up when I talk to them next

013_TDI

TDI
Nope.... those two things are on opposite sides of the engine!
Would the timing belt have to be removed to replace the camshaft seal? This would be to address the oil leak

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Good to know, I’ll be sure to bring that up when I talk to them next
Most dealers screw customers and not tell you the correct information. You have to do diligence on cars so you won't get screwed.

Like emissions warranty, unless you know what is covered saw many people get bent over by the dealer.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Would the timing belt have to be removed to replace the camshaft seal? This would be to address the oil leak
Being the cam gear has to come off to replace the camshaft seal. Yes the timing belt has to be taken off in order to replace the camshaft seal.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Was the water pump leaking? Is that the cause of the early timing belt/water pump replacement? Mine failed at 53k under powertrain warranty.