60k mile service

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
I'm at my dealer for my 60k service today. I asked if I could be in the shop when they opened my fuel filter up. Having built a decent relationship with my dealer's service department they accommodated me. I'm happy to report the filter and housing were clean, metal flake and water free! :) This after a normal 20k mile interval.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
Buy good fuel and I hedge my bet with an additive.

Before the data police attack, I have no proof the additive plays any part in my pump being healthy. It just makes me feel better.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Buy good fuel and I hedge my bet with an additive.

Before the data police attack, I have no proof the additive plays any part in my pump being healthy. It just makes me feel better.
I have no rhyme or reason for this but the one tank that I didnt add additive to I had 2 very rough regens. Ive had my car for near 40k miles and havent noticed it before nor after with the additive. Might be a coinencedence (sp), might not. I will always use it as a since of insurance.

Last edited:

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta
I have no rhyme or reason for this but the one tank that I didnt add additive to I had 2 very rough regens. Ive had my car fro near 40k miles and havent noticed it before nor after with teh additive. Might be a coinencedence (sp), might not. I will always use it as a since of insurance.
Sorry for being a noob. I thought VW said not to add additives to MKVI cars?

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
They might not "reccomend" one but they do not say not to. If you think about it from their perspective, if they recommended one they would be admitting to poor engineering when it came to their engine.

There has been A LOT of debate on here as to its effectivness and/or need for our engines. I have done a lot of reading and have personally decided due to the reduced lubricity in the ULSD it cant be a bad thing to add the additive. To me it is not too bad to spend about $50 every 15-20k miles.

Being that you are a noob do a quick search on here for additive and you will fing a large amount of reading. Not a bad read.

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
I have no rhyme or reason for this but the one tank that I didnt add additive to I had 2 very rough regens. Ive had my car fro near 40k miles and havent noticed it before nor after with teh additive. Might be a coinencedence (sp), might not. I will always use it as a since of insurance.
Are you saying you put an additive in with EVERY fillup? Which one? I use PS DieselKleen once like every 5K or 10K. It seems to keep everything like new when the dealer changes the filter. They comment that it could have easily gone another 20K. I also fill up with Murphy(Walmart brand) that may contain up to 5%bio. In our area it's the cheapest a $3.25/gal. Been using their gas in all my cars for decades without a single fuel issue.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you saying you put an additive in with EVERY fillup? Which one? I use PS DieselKleen once like every 5K or 10K. It seems to keep everything like new when the dealer changes the filter. They comment that it could have easily gone another 20K. I also fill up with Murphy(Walmart brand) that may contain up to 5%bio. In our area it's the cheapest a $3.25/gal. Been using their gas in all my cars for decades without a single fuel issue.

I use Opti Lube XPD. Suppose to increase Cetane levels and lubrication properties. I do not have access to and Bio blend to help the lubrication so this works for me.

These are the "claims"

Enhanced Lubricity for Reduced Fuel System Wear
Improved Fuel Economy (See Diesel Power Magazine Study here)
Increased Power
Reduced Deposits
Reduced Emissions
Prevents Rust & Corrosion
Cleans Injectors, keeps them clean
Improved Storage Stability (More than doubles storage life of diesel fuel)
Improved Water Separation
Improved Cold Weather Performance
Compatible with all vehicle emissions systems

Last edited:

solid19snake

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT (sold)
I use 4 ounces of PS Diesel Kleen (white bottle) EVERY fillup. I was using the grey bottle for a while but switched over to the white after doing some reading on the two. If I'm not mistaken, the white disperses water better. I think that was why I switched but that was too long ago for me to remember.

solid19snake

Veteran Member
TDI
I somehow missed the part where you said you use 5% bio. I use the PS Diesel Kleen because bio isn't available near me. If I were using bio all the time, I'm not sure if I would or would not use PS Diesel Kleen. Probably not but I think I'd do more reading on it. On the both pages (http://www.powerservice.com/dfs/ and http://www.powerservice.com/dk/) it says they're ok to use with bio, so it's your call.

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
I don't think I would use dieselkleen with every tank full. If it were really needed I would probably just use a cetane booster and/or lube like PDT does. But it's just an opinion. The white bottle of dieselfuel adds antigel for cold weather. I think the white bottle of dieselkleen is just a concentation mix. Can't remember if it was more or less. The redzone is for loading and unloading only.

Surprised no one flamed me yet about using walmart fuels?

aju

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI - 6M
The WHITE zone is for loading and unloading only. If ya got to load or if ya gotta unload, go to the white zone.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na

Which would be great- if you knew for sure the fuel you purchased was adequate. Testing has shown that its a gamble about the quality of fuel you buy. Ethanol, water, bacteria, gasoline, and overall low cetane ratings is far too common.

75$ will get you a gallon of xpd. Good for 1000 gallons or over 45k miles. Most claim a 2-5mpg gain. I am getting 46-51mpg.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
Which would be great- if you knew for sure the fuel you purchased was adequate. Testing has shown that its a gamble about the quality of fuel you buy. Ethanol, water, bacteria, gasoline, and overall low cetane ratings is far too common.

75$ will get you a gallon of xpd. Good for 1000 gallons or over 45k miles. Most claim a 2-5mpg gain. I am getting 46-51mpg.

Just got my 3rd jug for $55.

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta
They might not "reccomend" one but they do not say not to. If you think about it from their perspective, if they recommended one they would be admitting to poor engineering when it came to their engine.

There has been A LOT of debate on here as to its effectivness and/or need for our engines. I have done a lot of reading and have personally decided due to the reduced lubricity in the ULSD it cant be a bad thing to add the additive. To me it is not too bad to spend about $50 every 15-20k miles.

Being that you are a noob do a quick search on here for additive and you will fing a large amount of reading. Not a bad read.
Yeah, I'll definitely do that. I'd kinda decided not to use an additive because Chevron cetene levels are supposed to be right. I didn't even think about lubricity.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Actually; I just went through my manual again last night because I was curious as to the wording. VW does not say ANYTHING at all, positive, negative, for or against additives in diesel fuel vehicles; at least in my manual (I would assume the Golfs and Jettas have the same one).

It has specifics on diesel fuel in there, but the only mention of additives is actually in reference to gasoline engines only, and specifically recommends against them. It does not even mention them in the diesel section.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
Those stupid yellow stickers the dealer put all over my fuel fill area say "Diesel Fuel Only"... :)

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta

So you're adding XPD every fillup? How are you managing the product? Do you just keep the entire jug in the trunk, or do you keep a smaller bottle just reserved for this product?

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Not sure how he does it, but I have 2 ~6 ounce bottles I keep in the trunk with a pre-measured dose of XPD in each. Let's me fuel up as needed, and have a second dose in case of emergency (like I run low on fuel and "forgot" to refill my first bottle).

The XPD gallon comes with a pump and a couple smaller bottles if you buy with accessories; so measuring and keeping it in the trunk is easy.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
So you're adding XPD every fillup? How are you managing the product? Do you just keep the entire jug in the trunk, or do you keep a smaller bottle just reserved for this product?
Not sure how he does it, but I have 2 ~6 ounce bottles I keep in the trunk with a pre-measured dose of XPD in each. Let's me fuel up as needed, and have a second dose in case of emergency (like I run low on fuel and "forgot" to refill my first bottle).

The XPD gallon comes with a pump and a couple smaller bottles if you buy with accessories; so measuring and keeping it in the trunk is easy.

Yep, I do simular to Dub, I have the smaller bottle that came with the jug and keep it in the trunk
I think it holds 8 oz but i only keep 4 in it. the jug comes with a pump and I determined that each "pump" dispenses about 1 oz so its easy to measure what Im putting in the bottle.

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta
Yep, I do simular to Dub, I have the smaller bottle that came with the jug and keep it in the trunk
I think it holds 8 oz but i only keep 4 in it. the jug comes with a pump and I determined that each "pump" dispenses about 1 oz so its easy to measure what Im putting in the bottle.
Interesting. Thanks for the advice fellas. I think I'll be placing my first order this Friday. I'm a little paranoid about mileage (about to do 40k service on my 2012) and I want to make sure drivetrain is as well taken care of as I can.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Price is the same, but shipping is only $4.95 for your order, even if you order 2 gallons, etc.

So you save a minimum of $10 on shipping for a single gallon, more if you order more. ;)

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta
Price is the same, but shipping is only $4.95 for your order, even if you order 2 gallons, etc.

So you save a minimum of $10 on shipping for a single gallon, more if you order more. ;)
Ahhh, okay that makes sense. Awesome, I may place the order today.

gunsonwheels

TDI
2013 Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubFamily

Bought a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment (32 oz with OZ graduations on the side of the bottle) and dumped it in the waste oil barrel... rinsed with gas and filled it with Howe's Diesel lube/anti-gel and adapted a flip-top nozzle cap to it. When I fill I flip the nozzle open, note the lube level in ounces and squirt in as much as temp and lube require for as many gallons as I think I'll pump. Close up the flip top and return it to the vehicle. Been doing this for years with the '93 Dodge Cummins (designed for and during a higher sulpher era). Moving my wife up from AZ to WY I bought a and filled a second bottle... Guess I'll move one over to the new Jetta :)

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
I use 2 6+ oz bottles, both were from some other fuel additive. Dumped them in my wife's minivan and have been keeping them in my trunk in a container I made to contain a spill, should one occur. I'll take some pictures when I get a chance.

solid19snake

Veteran Member
TDI
I use 2 6+ oz bottles, both were from some other fuel additive. Dumped them in my wife's minivan and have been keeping them in my trunk in a container I made to contain a spill, should one occur. I'll take some pictures when I get a chance.
The cardboard box carrier for the 4-pack of little wine bottles (http://www.bevmo.com/Media/Images/ProductImagesFull/90019.jpg) are a perfect little tote for refill bottles. I carry 3 bottles in there plus the OEM fuel nozzle adapter container, which fits perfectly.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
yet another promising thread turns into an additive thread. something new?.....My filter is always clean.....I run premium fuel, dose with BD(1/2 liter per fill imported from North Carolina!) and run 4 oz of PS EVERY fill.....and use Canadian fuel mostly....who knows? car runs nice with no rough regens.....75,000kms