//// 60 mpg at 60 mph ?? ////

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi all,
Just thought I'd post some information up here in the hopes of getting constructive constructive input on how to get a few more mpgs to reach the elusive 60 mpg at 60 mph ....
My base car is a 2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon with 5 speed with approximately 211000 miles on it when I got it.
The previous owner had pretty much run the car exclusively commercially produced biodiesel and seemingly took really good care of it for as many miles as it had.
For me , in stock, form I typically got mpgs in the high 40s...
Over the time I had the car I did basically very little to it unless things wore out or broke and then I would replace things with better than normal parts with a slant towards hopefully helping miles per gallon...
One of the first mods I did was replacing the steelies and p195 65 R15 tires with Avis rims and P 205 70 R15 ecopia tires ... the thought here was to use lighter Wheels to offset the heavier new tires and the reason for going with ecopias was because they were rated as a low rolling resistance tires and their larger-diameter effectively upped my gear ratio for fewer engine rpms at speed.
My next mod was a stage 1 tune with Dynamic EGR from Malone tuning ... this was a great addition because the power was increased significantly and the fuel mileage actually increased also.
As time went on ( around 315000 miles) my injector pump decided to go out on me so I replaced the pump with an 11 mm pump and upgraded to DLC 520 injectors at same time ... ( the pump was timed and Hammer modded also I was told one of the old injectors had started leaking a little bit so spray patterns probably weren't that good towards the end) ... at the same time I also had a high mileage timing belt kit installed along with new alternator one-way pulley , tensioner fir serp belt etc...).
This gave a noticeable boost in power and even further increased fuel mileage..
at around 316 k I had this is suspension refreshed and upgraded ( koni special active is all around, VR6 Springs, Audi A-Arms with TT bushings and , sway bar bushings ).
It was interesting to note that my fuel mileage actually went up just by upgrading the suspension ... my theory behind that is possibly the new alignment helped although there was really nothing wrong as far as I could tell with the old alignment ....
My other Theory as to why mileage increase after the suspension rework was because my car now sits more level ....I'm thinking maybe that had something to do aerodynamically to improve things because the car set with a forward rake prior to leveling it up ...
All my exterior lighting is Led for better light output and less power consumption.
All fluids are synthetic.
Tires are run at 44 psi which is Max on sidewall cold.
Lastly, and interestingly something that got me almost 2 extra mpgs was making plexiglass Grill blocks basically covering everything except the intercooler opening.
My theory on why the grill blocks helped so much was 3 fold...
1) better aero
2) faster warm up
3) I never heard just mentioned before but my other theory is by blocking off the radiator and not allowing it to cool as much the thermostat may stay open more there for less water pump losses ? ( I wonder if it takes less engine power to actually move water when the thermostat is open as opposed to having the engine try to turn a water pump against a closed thermostat?)
Anyways the net result of all that and running approximately 4 oz of power service and 4 oz of 2-stroke oil per fill up ( I typically fill up around 500 miles or about 1/2 tank per fuel gauge ( the fuel gauge is not necessarily 100% accurate because by the time I reach 1/2 on a fuel gauge it typically takes me about 9 gallons to fill back up) .... was 57 mpg driving 60 to 62 mph.
My last two trips from Harrison burg Virginia to Atlanta Georgia netted approximately 57 miles per gallon ...hand calculated.
no hypermiling mostly Highway ... speed 60 to 62 miles per hour.
My question is how much more will it take to get me three more miles per gallon so I can attained 60 miles per gall on at 60 to 62 mph?
Some thoughts I have are:
1) installing DLC 1019 nozzles because I heard a larger slug of fuel at the right time will actually net more MPGs
2) a larger downpipe and mandrel bent exhaust system .... wouldn't mind straight through but I don't want a lot of drone since I do spend hours at a time in the car.
3) I'm thinking about installing a wink type multi-panel mirror and doing essentially a side mirror delete although for legality reasons I would probably have very small 2-inch spot mirrors outside for inspection purposes
4) roof rack delete for better Aero.
5) it doesn't look super difficult and I wish I had a lift but thinking about a belly pan and smoothing the under car aerodynamics.
6) I've already purchased materials and I'm working on a kamm back for the car
7) I have pizza pan covers ready to be installed on the Avis Wheels but just debating about how to install those.
8) thinking about water mess injection but not a lot of information seemingly about fuel mileage increases ... everybody seems to mainly discuss additional power and or lowering egts for Towing .... I would be interested in more information about low boost fuel mileage.
9) I had thought about propane fumigation but that seemed to be more difficult and complex than simple water meth...
10) lightening the car May net small increases but I've already basically deleted out the back seat ( mainly for cargo volume but I had toyed with the idea of carbon fiber hood, smaller and or lighter battery, I even toyed with the idea of rear door deletes and simply fabbing up something lightweight and its place but I think that would be too hard core and give up the utility of easy access into the cargo area which unfortunately I can't do because most of my work is driving delivery).
11) thinking of adding a rear sway bar for better handling and maybe not having to slow down four corners as much? ... cons of the rear sway bar would be decreased aerodynamics because it hangs down in the undercarriage and the extra weight ... I suppose I could use an ID parts shine type sway bar but I'm wondering if that might be too stiff for the rear end I like the adjustability of some of the other bars I've looked into
So what are your thoughts on my proposed mods? are there any other things I should look into?
I'm trying to achieve the fuel mileage without necessarily resorting to hypermiling techniques because I have to get to destinations on time.
In advance for any and all help.
Andrew

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Do you have a rack that sits on rails? Not familiar with the setup,
but I'm sure if I deleted my crossbars I'd mebbe get an extra mpg of 1 or 2.
Do the exhaust, 2.5" should help a touch, I'm straight piped, no cat,
but I got a resonator just before the tailpipe.

I doubt going to bigger nozzles would help, though the theory is that a
shorter injection window and the higher pressure 11mm pump gives better
atomisation, therefore a cleaner burn.

Replace your intercooler, I did mine with the upgrade SMIC.
My original must've been all crudded up, I was amazed at the improvement.
Noticeable increase in air, car is more responsive, turbo spools earlier
and less throttle. Clearly more efficient, the motor's breathing better.

Though I haven't installed it yet, a PD150 or R32 airbox that has
the bigger MAF, again engine breathing.

Something else to consider is a .717 5th to lower the rpms a bit, at 60 I'm
less than 2k rpm, depends on your turbo and tune though whether you find it driveable on hills. Perfect for me running 75.

My $.02

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Probably way more money than the extra fuel would have cost you. I sometimes wonder why some seem to spend so much money to save pennies on fuel. The amount of money you have already spent on unneeded items would have bought a ton of fuel. I understand the bragging rights but are they really worth all the excess money spent to just be able to say I got 60 mpg driving slow on the highway? I can understand replacing things when needed but you are way over the top on most of them. To each their own I guess. Anymore I just try and keep my car in good repair with OEM parts.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The way my car is set up now, with summer fuel I get 50-52 on trips running at 75-80 MPH (indicated). If I slowed down I suspect it would be easy to get close to 60 MPG. But on a long trip it's not worth it. On an 800 mile drive the time difference between running at 60 versus 75 is 3-4 hours. Not to mention the boredom. To be honest, i have trouble keeping the car under 80.

I did recently buy a .700 5th gear (not installed yet). But that's mostly to reduce revs and noise at 75+ MPH. I doubt it'll improve FE much.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Have you replaced your thermostat since ownership? That right there netted me several MPGs when I did it. Didn't even notice it was faulty until one winter when the thing never got to NOT. Probably a good practice to replace during a timing belt change unless you're really racking up miles each year.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
The way my car is set up now, with summer fuel I get 50-52 on trips running at 75-80 MPH (indicated). If I slowed down I suspect it would be easy to get close to 60 MPG. But on a long trip it's not worth it. On an 800 mile drive the time difference between running at 60 versus 75 is 3-4 hours. Not to mention the boredom. To be honest, i have trouble keeping the car under 80.

I did recently buy a .700 5th gear (not installed yet). But that's mostly to reduce revs and noise at 75+ MPH. I doubt it'll improve FE much.

Actually my driving slow is kind of forced upon me .... it's mainly for preservation of myself and the car since
I drive mostly exclusively at night and on top of that pretty much in seemingly exclusively Deer Country...

This year already i already hit 2 deer (9 deer in the past 3 years so it's getting better!) but fortunately not big hits because of slower speeds ( I am looking into a thermal camera , but even at dealer prices it's still $1500 plus having to buy a screen for it .... still supposed to be better than just really bright lights although the bright lights really help).

I had thought about changing out the 5th gear to a higher ratio but the problem is on two-lane Country Roads I'm typically doing 45 miles an hour ( speed limit 55) and anything too much steeper ratio wise would be problematic with all the hills we have around here ...

With a slight noise coming from my clutch when I push the clutch in ( occasionally not always) ... I'm thinking I'm going to have to start researching clutches soon ( although my helper and I think it's mainly a throwout bearing potential issue) ...

Of course having to take things apart , while bad onto itself, also opens up opportunity for.... " while I'm in there doing that I might as well also do this"

I had been reading about the 6th Gear install into a 5-speed transmission with great interest but with the one person having issues and my transmission having approximately 325000 miles on it I'm wondering if trying a 6-speed addition would accelerate the end of the transmission. ... ( of course others have good luck with it and it is way cheaper than a full 6 speed trans swap out)...

I suppose the other option would be to go with a 6-speed transmission swap but I don't know as much about that without doing more research ( it would only be interesting if it had double Overdrive ( 2 overdrive gears) and the other bad thing is I just put in brand new OEM CV joints and axles and I don't think that would transplant over to a 6-speed swap...

I have heard that sometimes increasing the gearing doesn't help the fuel mileage but I wonder if that's because people would tend to drive faster if a car is quieter I typically drive by noise so if the car were made quieter I would most likely drive faster to achieve the same noise level under normal conditions.

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you replaced your thermostat since ownership? That right there netted me several MPGs when I did it. Didn't even notice it was faulty until one winter when the thing never got to NOT. Probably a good practice to replace during a timing belt change unless you're really racking up miles each year.
Yes, according to the ScanGauge my thermostat typically operates around 190 degrees ...

Offhand I'm not sure how often the thermostat needs to be replaced but I typically do it every 2 or so years or if I have to take radiator fluid out for any reason I'll typically also change it ..

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you have a rack that sits on rails? Not familiar with the setup,
but I'm sure if I deleted my crossbars I'd mebbe get an extra mpg of 1 or 2.
Do the exhaust, 2.5" should help a touch, I'm straight piped, no cat,
but I got a resonator just before the tailpipe.

I doubt going to bigger nozzles would help, though the theory is that a
shorter injection window and the higher pressure 11mm pump gives better
atomisation, therefore a cleaner burn.

Replace your intercooler, I did mine with the upgrade SMIC.
My original must've been all crudded up, I was amazed at the improvement.
Noticeable increase in air, car is more responsive, turbo spools earlier
and less throttle. Clearly more efficient, the motor's breathing better.

Though I haven't installed it yet, a PD150 or R32 airbox that has
the bigger MAF, again engine breathing.

Something else to consider is a .717 5th to lower the rpms a bit, at 60 I'm
less than 2k rpm, depends on your turbo and tune though whether you find it driveable on hills. Perfect for me running 75.

My $.02
Hi

No I don't have the crossbars on my car... just the factory racks on the wagon but I would imagine that just having those causes some additional drag.

I was at a junkyard the other day and there was a wrecked wagon there and I looked into how to take the roof rack off but it looks like a pretty difficult process to do it without damaging the headliner .... on the flip side my headliner is sagging and I may just end up taking it to the upholstery shop to have them redo it ( they did my other car and the results were great) .... and while they are messing with the headliner I'll probably ask them if I can take the car back for a day and then it's easy to take off the roof rack and while I'm in there I would also install some sound deadening as well ...

I think I'll wait for warmer weather on that though...

When it gets a little warmer I think I will mess with the exhaust ...

I had previously owned a 1993 Dodge 4 wheel drive pickup truck with a Cummins engine and that thing really sounded nice with a 4in straight through....

Admittedly though that truck was more for local drives and fun where's my Jetta is more for work and I would really hate to have that much sound for hours at a time.... I suppose I could resort to earplugs but that's a little inconvenient...

I have been debating between a two and a half inch system versus a 3-inch system .... I would probably do the full turbo back system rather than just a catback.

As far as intake I don't think my intake is really carboned up that much but I have been thinking about I think it's the d24 intake?

On the same diesel truck mentioned earlier , I did put an intake system on that and I think I may do the same thing with the car also...

One other thing I thought about was actually concerning turbos and the exhaust ...

I read that a turbo actually offers a fair amount of resistance to the exhaust flow because in actuality I guess it's the smallest opening in the entire system...

Would getting a bigger turbo exhaust housing help with fuel mileage in terms of it actually being less of a restriction ... truth be known I don't really push the car that hard and I've only seen double digit boost numbers a handful of times and that's when I was intentionally trying to do in Italian tune-ups. ...

My Turbo is fine now but just wondering in the future when things do eventually wear out would a bigger turbo be helpful for fuel mileage and by bigger turbo I'm specifically thinking of the exhaust opening into the actual turbo itself for overall less restriction exhaust wise?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
At those speeds you should already be getting well over 50 MPG. The best FE results I've heard about over the years were on stock or nearly stock cars. Slightly larger nozzles and a mild tune, perhaps, but that's it. My B4, formerly owned by BRUSSELS BELGIUM here, has a Rocketchip Stage 2 but no other mods. He would get 64-67 MPG running at 57 MPH.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Andy,

Exhaust and your preoccupation with the turbo is all about air to the engine.
Do the simpler cheaper mods first, the upgraced side mount intercooler will be ~ $100, a bigger airbox around $250, both relatively
ez to do. 2.5" exhaust is plenty, and the turbo is chopping up the sound,
which is why you can get away with just a resonator.

For the deer, I'd suggest the Aussie solution, a "roo bar" or bull bar.
Wraps right around the front and the headlights. Saves a LOT of damage
when hitting livestock.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullbar
Maybe a good exhaust shop could produce one.