60.78 MPG and it isnt a dang hybrid!

Oil_Burner

Veteran Member
Ok, I was hoping for more, but I had to get home in a hurry from the Rush concert so I drove 75mph. As it is 805.70 miles on the odometer and 13.4 gallons in the tank.

60.78 MPG!

I know this wont impress you guys on this site, but I cant imagine ever going back!

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
Oil_Burner said:
Ok, I was hoping for more, but I had to get home in a hurry from the Rush concert so I drove 75mph. As it is 805.70 miles on the odometer and 13.4 gallons in the tank.

60.78 MPG!

I know this wont impress you guys on this site, but I cant imagine ever going back!
offtopic ... subdivisions ...

ontopic ... Awesome mileage. :D

offtopic ... Last time I saw them they had Large Moshing Rabbits onstage. :) Wish I still had had my tour shirt...

Last edited:

Busguy71

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE!!!!!
damn! I thought that kind of milage was only possible when you drove like 50mph! I can get 50mpg at 65mph, but at 70 it drops to 46mpg. whats your secret!!!??? and how much increase did that ups chip give?

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Odd that the tank only took 13.5g......

If my gauge was that low, Ide be putting in at least 15.

Congrats though! Hope your math isnt wrong.........

On big wheels, no less.

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
My youngest son saw them play a couple of nights ago, as he works at the Hollywood Bowl. He said the employee issue ear plugs were absolutely necessary except in the nose-bleeds. Lots of smokers in the audience if you get my drift. Came home with the 'T' shirt, and tried to give it to me. Now I feel bad that I told him to try and force his brother take it.

DrSmile

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS PD 5spd Wagon
...memories come flooding back... good lord man even I gave up on these guys when "Roll the Bones" came out. I personally think their last good album was Grace under Pressure, and that was... yikes!... 23 years ago!

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Alex Lifeson and his son keep homes here in Atlanta... Seems like just yesterday they were arrested for resisting arrest and sued the police...
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2007-04-12-rush-guitarist_N.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_%28band%29
"As a whole, Rush boasts 23 gold records and 14 platinum (3 multi-platinum) records, making them one of the best-selling rock bands in history. These statistics place Rush fifth behind The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, KISS and Aerosmith for the most consecutive gold and platinum albums by a rock band."

I saw them last in the mid-80's... they were awesome then! More sound than any 3 piece band could possibly make, yet none of us believed they were using anything more than Geddy Lee playing programmed keys on a synthesizer... (the last of the Rush keyboards era) ...the Milli-Vanilli scandal broke around that time and for sure REO Speedwagon's famous loss in court to a lipsynching suit preceded the era making everyone suspect a minimum of backing tracks at any given show that didn't suck. If Rush used backing tracks which they augmented with live instruments back then, they were absolutely convincing enough in their delivery to hide it well.

One of a friend of mine's bootleg Youtube posts of their June show here in Atlanta where they did Subdivisions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNyODV-9dJo
The typically amazing Neil Pert lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/r/rush/subdivisions_20119867.html
"Any escape might help to smooth
The unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
The restless dreams of youth"

Here is a clip of YYZ by Primus on the Dennis Miller show in 1992... watch me crash the stage as the credits roll and play arse bandit with Les Claypool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glF01ELfU0Y&NR=1

Les's Carl Thompson bass autographed by Geddy Lee: http://www.ctbasses.com/les.html

An awesome DIY digital animation of YYZ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCdzCZzppxM
"On a technical note, the video was created with 3D Studio Max R3 and hand keyframed using a video reference of me air-drumming along to the song."

Red Barchetta is a favorite of mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVjyO2eLbyE

But Working Man is my absolute Rush fave... and to watch Pert play that other drummer's part, well that's gotta suck for him! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztv8lsgpmmI
(check out the washer and dryer stage props Dee! ;))

Note the time... coincidence that it is 454? I think not! ;) (my other car is a www.454ss.com)

Last edited:

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
What was the original topic again? :p :D :D :D

Oh yea, Oil Burner... are you sure that the fuel tank was filled exactly the same each time? I like to let the foam settle so that I fill to the brim (ventectomys) with clear fuel lapping at the rim where the cap goes. That way my refueling is nearly the same each time for better accuracy. Also I divide the miles driven on the trip odometer by the gallons pumped to get my mileage. I reset the trip odometer after each filling.

Is that what you do?

If my refuels, she usually lacks the patients to fill it to the top. So she always picks up several MPG on her receipts and I loose several mpg's on the receipts where I refill the next tank after she has refueled.

Oil_Burner

Veteran Member
LurkerMike said:
What was the original topic again? :p :D :D :D

Oh yea, Oil Burner... are you sure that the fuel tank was filled exactly the same each time? I like to let the foam settle so that I fill to the brim (ventectomys) with clear fuel lapping at the rim where the cap goes. That way my refueling is nearly the same each time for better accuracy. Also I divide the miles driven on the trip odometer by the gallons pumped to get my mileage. I reset the trip odometer after each filling.

Is that what you do?

If my refuels, she usually lacks the patients to fill it to the top. So she always picks up several MPG on her receipts and I loose several mpg's on the receipts where I refill the next tank after she has refueled.

That's exactly what I do everytime. I have a written record of EVERY tank, its cost, location and what additives Ive added since new! The first time I fueled her up was in Seattle after I picked her up from the dealership. February 10th 2001. The fuel price was 1.29 a gallon! DOH!:eek:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
YO!! I was 50 feet from them at Nissan Pavilion in VA 3 weeks ago!!
They are IMHO the greatest band OUT there !!! AWESOME!!!!

Oil_Burner said:
I was twenty feet from Alex when he said, Subdivisions. It was awesome!
I hope they never quit, but Im affraid this may be their last show.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
oEo said:
offtopic ... subdivisions ...

ontopic ... Awesome mileage. :D

offtopic ... Last time I saw them they had Large Moshing Rabbits onstage. :) Wish I still had had my tour shirt...
This time they had the Henhouse.......
3 Containers Roasting Chickens!!!:D

mam0032

TDI
two 03' Golf tdi's
yeah! what about that chip

Busguy71 said:
damn! I thought that kind of milage was only possible when you drove like 50mph! I can get 50mpg at 65mph, but at 70 it drops to 46mpg. whats your secret!!!??? and how much increase did that ups chip give?
I'd love to hear an answer to that question also.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
For flat-land steady-state with the VE engines, these are rough numbers:

50 MPH = 70 MPG
60 MPH = 60 MPG
70 MPH = 50 MPG
80 MPH = 40 MPG

Most I-4 gassers can't even GET 40 MPG, we get it at 80 MPH :)

dok

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V
'01 Jetta @2100 RPM in 5th gear approx. 60MPH I have gotten 62.5MPG.
And I've been a fan of RUSH since the early days. Saw them in '79 in Los Angeles @ Santa Monica Civic Auditorium as the warm up band for UFO. Now there was a concert! Their first several albums starting w/ 'FLY BY NIGHT' and ending with 'Permanent Waves' were story-songs (inspired by Ann Rand's novels). After that they became very popular and even though their music was progressive and energetic, I had lost my interest. Though, I do see them when in town. The days of road trips following RUSH(and the Grateful Dead) are over.

Those were the days!

David K.