6 Very Long Days: ALH 5M to ARL 6M

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
(Sorry for all the pictures to those of you on dial-up)

Before:

After:

I can't believe I am finally posting this. After many different engine-related issues with my ALH, it became abundantly clear that the most cost-effective solution to fixing my motor was to just put a new one in. Last winter/spring I purchased a complete donor PD150 Golf (in the UK) as well as a spare short block, complete head, bare head, extra TDI 6 speed, and some miscellaneous other odds and ends.

PD injection seemed advantageous to VE for two reasons:
PD motors do not have the same fueling issues that one encounters with the VE system due to the lack of an injection pump to worry about matching to high-flowing nozzles. With larger nozzles, the PD will easily flow just about any amount of fuel I need. The other reason why this swap made so much sense was that I have been planning a stand-alone 4motion swap, and I needed the guts from a FWD TDI 02M. It was very convenient that my new motor would come with the transmission that I needed.

I purchased a Audi TT AWD 02M (code FHB) with transfer case to put the gearing from the FWD TDI 02M in. I was planning on building the AWD transmission and installing it before the conversion to AWD as to avoid having to buy both a FWD and then later an AWD limited slip differential (the R32 LSD has a splined output) (after having one in my 02J, I don't think I could live without it). While the transmission was open, we took the opportunity to replace the pins and rivets holding the shift forks to the shafts with M8 bolts (good thing we had spare bolts from the EGR cooler) that were either welded or Lock-Tited (if the outside surface was the brass from the shift fork itself).

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
For the last two years, I had been hanging on to a new GT2260V from a BMW X5. It originally came with an electronic actuator, which had to be converted to a vacuum style one. Unfortunately, I had no knowledge of the new Audi GTB2260VK, otherwise I would have held out for that turbo. Matt Whitbread and I were planning on putting BMW 2260s on each of our ALHs when I bought it, so when I decided to go the PD route I already had a nice turbo to match the motor.

Since all of the pipework had to change for the new turbo, it was only sensible that an FMIC be fitted alongside a custom tubular header and down pipe made by Matt (Whitbread). The FMIC piping ended up being 2.5” aluminum with a 2” expander coming from the 2260’s compressor. This setup also beautifully clears the mounts for my Diesel Geek skid plate. I used a PD130 European Passat intake manifold to relocate the upper FMIC piping to the passenger side to reduce the length of the air path. The map sensor and boost port were relocated to the new “race pipe” section. Originally, we were going to use a 3” down pipe, but the transfer case created some clearance issues, so we went with a 2.5” design that fit really well. On a side note, I have no idea how any down pipe will fit once the center drive shaft is in place. I need to find out if the MKIV 4motion cars have different steering racks than FWD MKIV VWs.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...

To make the motor more suited to being driven in the USA (TB parts availability), we converted the Euro-spec PD150 timing belt setup with the hydraulic tensioner (80k interval) to an American-spec BEW TB setup with a 100k belt (thanks to Farfromovin for the P/Ns of the cover and stud). For all of you in the USA that have ASZs or ARLs, I highly recommend this upgrade.

Well, that’s most of it. I’m sure I left a lot out, but the important stuff is there.
There might be some more pics that I left out in my photo album (on the TDIclub photo server).
In the very near horizon: Rosten h-beam rods, ported head, larger injectors, Colt stage 2 PD cam, main girdle, coated low compression pistons

Long term plans: standalone 4motion!!!!!!!!!

My greatest gratitude goes out to Matt Whitbread for making this project happen. Without his immense knowledge and welding skill set, none of this would have been possible.

All of the transportation and disassembly was arranged by Scott DeWitt. Again, without him, I’d probably still be dealing with the same wrecker who was unable to deliver me a PD130 without cutting all of the coolant lines and wiring harnesses. He was also able to get me an excellent price on a South Bend Clutch kit.

Other thank you’s:
Scott from Usually Sideways Rally Team for parts and assistance.
Gary Peloquin for calling me almost every day with updates on the status of my LSD and getting it to me in the nick of time.
Jeff Robertson for an excellent tune, wiring diagrams, and his expansive general knowledge of TDIs.
Scott Krout for demystifying what turned out to be a very simple wiring task.
Phillip (Farfromovin) for info about the BEW timing belt parts.

Oh, and BTW, here's what MPG looked like when I got home:

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Make sure that MPG is US gal and not UK, lol.

Nice work and a credit to you both!

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
Looks good. Congratulations on the re-born toy.

I bet your mileage will improve a bit more. I am seeing 44-46 around town and 50++ on the highway. 800 mile tanks are pretty cool.;)

O.C.

T'sTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
what an exciting time for you... All that hard work will certainly pay off. Enjoy driving a one of a kind beast of a car.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Very clean installation, awesome project! That's my favourite colour to boot!

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Now that is awesome. wish Matt did all that to my Golf when I was there, all I got was a lousy FMIC kit.:p
BUT Holy cow. that thing must RIP!!!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Amazing start. That car with 4 motion would be very quick and surprise a lot of people. Can't wait to see some more progress with the 4 Motion setup.:)

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Glad you're happy with it Dan. The thing definitely scoots. Now just get the turbo and tune adjusted!

Oh no! The super secret 02m shift fork mods are out of the bag now :eek:. If 2012 comes early it'll be because of you :p!

Last edited:

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Whitbread said:
Oh no! The super secret 02m shift fork mods are out of the bag now :eek:. If 2012 comes early it'll be because of you :p!
It's funny you did the same thing I did with the allen head bolts and everything. Maybe I can find some pics around here...

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Very nice! :D

Are those shift forks a weak link? I only ask because on my current 02M I am unable to go from 6th or 5th to 4th gear, and need to kind of move the stick a bit up toward 3rd before it will go down into 4th - Bit annoying. Goes down through the box fine though - 4th to 5th, and 4th to 6th....

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Damn those welds are nice to look at. I thought we were gonna see a full 4-mo swap already, but this is still some pretty nice TDI pron.

Kudos, fellas.

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
devonutopia said:

Are those shift forks a weak link? I only ask because on my current 02M I am unable to go from 6th or 5th to 4th gear, and need to kind of move the stick a bit up toward 3rd before it will go down into 4th - Bit annoying. Goes down through the box fine though - 4th to 5th, and 4th to 6th....
I changed gear fast @5000rpm to many times...

Stock gearboxes sucks! Seq dogbox is the thing:rolleyes:

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Thanks for all of the kind words! :D I absolutely love driving this car now. It is a completely different beast than my ALH. The torque curve is so smooth in comparison.

devonutopia said:

The shift forks in the 02M are a known weak link (particularly first to second). There are a few threads about it floating around on VWvortex if you take the time to wade through the search. Most likely, if your 02M does not have a hole in the case, your shift forks are just fine. It sounds like you just need to adjust your shift linkage via the adjustable plastic end links. I think that should solve your problem.

shizzler said:
Damn those welds are nice to look at. I thought we were gonna see a full 4-mo swap already, but this is still some pretty nice TDI pron.

Kudos, fellas.
The 4motion swap will be a big and expensive project. I still need to fork out 750€ for just the controller as well as some major pieces of hardware. After that comes the HUGE install project. But don't worry, the plan is in motion. ;)

TDIinTexas said:
Is this picture missing the intake manifold? I'm unsure if that is the manifold or the compressor outlet. Just figuring out the plumbing.
That is the intake manifold. The turbo is oriented similarly to the way the stock VNT15 is (under the manifold) versus the way you did it in your build (over the manifold). We used the Passat intake to reduce IC piping and conserve space. The compressor outlet snakes over the passenger side axle then into the FMIC.

tubesguy said:
Bring that thing to the Milwaukee GTG and we can all admire it!
I'm signing up for it right now. I need a few tweaks to my tune, and it's been ages since I have made it to a GTG with a properly functioning vehicle. I should have a cam in it by then!

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
TheoSweden said:
I changed gear fast @5000rpm to many times...

Stock gearboxes sucks! Seq dogbox is the thing:rolleyes:
That looks really bad!:eek: What (if any) damage did it do to the internals of the transmission? Seqential dogbox seems like a good upgrade, but for the 5000€, it's pretty expensive!

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
danielhf said:
That looks really bad!:eek: What (if any) damage did it do to the internals of the transmission? Seqential dogbox seems like a good upgrade, but for the 5000€, it's pretty expensive!
Nothing! I guess I was lucky we only changed some o-rings and this fork, everything did look fine and in spec. That was after 100000km stock and ~30000km 200hp+ (hard driven).

Everytime I'm on the racetrack, I think that even with the "low" performance I got in my car, the gearbox is realy slow and boring! But as you say it cost MUCH to make it a bit faster:)

Great build BTW!

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
That's some awesome work!Thanks for the progress updates during this conversion, I had my fingers crossed!

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Scott_DeWitt said:
That's some awesome work!Thanks for the progress updates during this conversion, I had my fingers crossed!
Thanks again Scott. The clutch is amazing BTW. Feels almost lighter than stock, but I have a hard time remembering what stock feels like after having one of the BB dual diaphragm setups in my 02J.

One quick question for everyone: is there any problem with mounting my DG oil bypass upside-down? There didn't seem to be enough room to have it right-side-up, so I just tapped the head for the return line and mounted it upside-down like so:

How are BEW people mounting these in the DG specified location? The spot for me is intersected by multiple coolant hoses!

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I don't know about BEW people, but ALH/ARL peeps mount it like this:

I *think* I'm using a BEW DG kit. There is nothing underneath, the only thing close is the coolant line on the right, but orientated in the spot it is now, there are no rubbing issues at all. Slick cylinder head install BTW! I have since replaced the quick disconnect fitting on the filter housing on my return to a standard one. Still use the see through hose though. I like to see oil in it :)

--edit-- are you talking about the lower rad hose? That stays tucked close to the rad fans. I can take a different pic if you need me to. Just PM me.

Last edited:

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Farfromovin said:
--edit-- are you talking about the lower rad hose? That stays tucked close to the rad fans. I can take a different pic if you need me to. Just PM me.
His lower radiator hose hugs the motor, not the radiator. That's the clearance issue. We used the pd150 hose because the alh hose wouldn't clear the alternator/ac compressor.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Whitbread said:
His lower radiator hose hugs the motor, not the radiator. That's the clearance issue. We used the pd150 hose because the alh hose wouldn't clear the alternator/ac compressor.
Now I have to dig through memory lane. I'm certain I'm using the compressor and alternator from an ALH, one or more AC lines for a BEW. Also, those coolant pipes in front of the block needed to be "persuaded" a bit for things to fit. The lower rad hose is a very tight fit on the thermostat housing itself because of all the stuff in the way on my car. Certainly though, the lower rad hose is an ALH on my car... Something has got to give here LOL.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Farfromovin said:
Now I have to dig through memory lane. I'm certain I'm using the compressor and alternator from an ALH, one or more AC lines for a BEW. Also, those coolant pipes in front of the block needed to be "persuaded" a bit for things to fit. The lower rad hose is a very tight fit on the thermostat housing itself because of all the stuff in the way on my car. Certainly though, the lower rad hose is an ALH on my car... Something has got to give here LOL.
The ac compressor and alternator are the exact same, but the ac lines from a pd are needed as we confirmed. We tried to use the plastic T-stat housing and hose off the ALH but it wouldn't clear so we just used the pd150 t-stat housing (which is a very short 90*), and the matching hose that hugs the block before swinging over to the lower radiator. Gotta love oem "lego" parts.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Whitbread said:
The ac compressor and alternator are the exact same, but the ac lines from a pd are needed as we confirmed. We tried to use the plastic T-stat housing and hose off the ALH but it wouldn't clear so we just used the pd150 t-stat housing (which is a very short 90*), and the matching hose that hugs the block before swinging over to the lower radiator. Gotta love oem "lego" parts.
AHA!~ I used a BEW T stat housing as well. Forgot to mention that. So, my under-hood is mostly ARL, then ALH, with BEW bits thrown in for flavor LOL. It all fits though. Yeah, I (KROUT really) couldn't do anything with that euro PD tstat housing so we took a stab at the BEW/ALH approach and it worked out nice!

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Farfromovin said:
AHA!~ I used a BEW T stat housing as well. Forgot to mention that. So, my under-hood is mostly ARL, then ALH, with BEW bits thrown in for flavor LOL. It all fits though. Yeah, I (KROUT really) couldn't do anything with that euro PD tstat housing so we took a stab at the BEW/ALH approach and it worked out nice!
Gotcha. We happened to have the euro lower radiator hose so everything fit as snug as a bug in a rug :D.