6 Speed swap into 2001 jetta tdi Auto?

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
Hi there! First time posting in these forums, i have owned my tdi since November and have been loving the car, all around it does what i need it to do and gets great fuel mileage. but recently i have been thinking about a manual swap, seeing the mpg on some of my friends 5 speeds was crazy compared to what i get out of the 4 speed automatic. i know that Volkswagen made 6 speeds for the mk 4 platform i'm just not sure which one would fit in my car, at first i was sure the vr6 six speed would do the trick but after speaking to some buddy's i've heard it wont work. any suggestions for the perfect 6 speed for my car?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Not just the fuel economy, the manual is so much more farfegnugen. They do make a 6 spd. that'll fit. Be sure to get one for the TDI that fits your VE motor. You'll find lots of reading for auto to manual swap.
VW TDI Search Engine

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
There are lots of forum posts on this topic, but two good additional resources for info and parts are:

Darkside sells everything you need to do both an auto-to-manual conversion and a 6-speed conversion to the 02M transmission, which is the 6-speed gearbox. As mentioned earlier, you want to make sure you get an 02M with the proper gearing and transmission codes for a diesel engine. The link I posted also shows a chart that lists some of the different gearing options for a TDI.

Korwerks offers similar kits, but their website doesn't have as much extra info.

Darkside also links to this TDIClub PDF that a user created to do exactly what you want to do:

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
And, if you're really adventurous, you can also add 4Motion ;)

Not for the faint of heart, though. Here is one example from a shop in Halifax:

Korwerks sells these kits too. A 4Motion kit comes with an 02M transmission, but a slightly different version that can't be used by itself.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
Thanks everyone for the awesome resources I’ll be sure to check it out! I probably should have mentioned in the OP that I have bought a parts car with everything I need for the swap except the transmission because it is missing reverse. So from my understanding, the 02m 6 speed will work if the gearing fits my engine?

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
And, if you're really adventurous, you can also add 4Motion ;)

Not for the faint of heart, though. Here is one example from a shop in Halifax:

Korwerks sells these kits too. A 4Motion kit comes with an 02M transmission, but a slightly different version that can't be used by itself.
This would be amazing because then the car would be AWD correct? Maybe in the future or for another build, that may be to ambitious for me at this time haha

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
There are lots of forum posts on this topic, but two good additional resources for info and parts are:

Darkside sells everything you need to do both an auto-to-manual conversion and a 6-speed conversion to the 02M transmission, which is the 6-speed gearbox. As mentioned earlier, you want to make sure you get an 02M with the proper gearing and transmission codes for a diesel engine. The link I posted also shows a chart that lists some of the different gearing options for a TDI.

Korwerks offers similar kits, but their website doesn't have as much extra info.

Darkside also links to this TDIClub PDF that a user created to do exactly what you want to do:

Wow this PDF Is incredible, kudos to whoever made that

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I've done two 6sp. swaps, one from Darkside in UK, the other from another vendor here - @Frans (DutchAutoParts.com).
Contact info for both is on their websites; both were good to deal with, and both had the transmission on a pallet at my house here on Vancouver Island within 5 days of payment.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I've done two 6sp. swaps, one from Darkside in UK, the other from another vendor here - @Frans (DutchAutoParts.com).
Contact info for both is on their websites; both were good to deal with, and both had the transmission on a pallet at my house here on Vancouver Island within 5 days of payment.
HI,

Just curious but why did you buy one from each and not both from the same vendor even if some time lapsed between purchases?

Thanks

Andrew

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think it was just price; first time was Darkside - everything was fine, no complaints.
Second time was with frans, and I think his price was a little bit better (he charged in USD vs. GBP from Darkside, and at the time, the CAD was doing better vs. the USD) - and he had some "hot swap" injectors, so I got a set of PP764 nozzles built up and tested for like $200USD (shipped for free because it was just added in on the pallet) - having to send him back the my old ones.

If I was doing it again, I'd probably go with frans - totally subjective, but Darkside seems to me (again - just my impression) to be more of a "performance" shop, whereas DutchAutoParts is just looking at getting good (mostly) used Euro parts to North Americans.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Wow this PDF Is incredible, kudos to whoever made that
One question you might want to answer is how much of your driving is done north of 70mph? If you are like me where I spent much of my time on the interstate at 70+ then indeed a six speed will be very nice. However if you just drive less than 70 then a five speed might be more cost effective.
BTW, I compiled that howto.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
One question you might want to answer is how much of your driving is done north of 70mph? If you are like me where I spent much of my time on the interstate at 70+ then indeed a six speed will be very nice. However if you just drive less than 70 then a five speed might be more cost effective.
BTW, I compiled that howto.
Amazing work in that how to for sure. I agree with you 100% and I do drive on the highway a good portion of my commute and I think a 5 speed definitely would suit my needs but I believe I’m more drawn to the 6 speed just to have the choice of using that gear when I want to

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Amazing work in that how to for sure. I agree with you 100% and I do drive on the highway a good portion of my commute and I think a 5 speed definitely would suit my needs but I believe I’m more drawn to the 6 speed just to have the choice of using that gear when I want to
Hi

I'm looking to do a 6 speed also .

Have you decided on which vendor you were going with?

Which trans are you to use ( ratio wise)?

Thanks

Andrew

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Keep in mind that certain parts like axles and starters are 6 speed specific and are a pain to get replacements for here in the states. I'd stick with the 5 speed personally because its a common combination here.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
Keep in mind that certain parts like axles and starters are 6 speed specific and are a pain to get replacements for here in the states. I'd stick with the 5 speed personally because its a common combination here.
that is a good point for sure, seeing as i have a full donor car for the 5 speed i already have all the parts to swap it other than the trans. so if i go with the 6 speed, that parts car is basically useless?

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
that is a good point for sure, seeing as i have a full donor car for the 5 speed i already have all the parts to swap it other than the trans. so if i go with the 6 speed, that parts car is basically useless?
Yeah, different axles, starter, tins, clutch and flywheel.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Just curious but aren't the axles the same as vr6 axles? And the clutch basically a vr6 dmf unit?

I knew about the clutch and starter and misc parts but typically if getting the 6 speed conversion kit from a vendor everything is typically included for conversion...

My fear is that the used parts they send may need tinkering with soon .... i.e. my axles are relatively new and in good shape ... what is the wear on the stuff they are sending over etc...

Anybody with first hand experience on this?

Thanks

Andrew

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you're buying a 6sp. from one of the outfits in Europe, they basically put together a full swap kit for you: axles, starters, tin, used clutch/flywheel. So, you don't have to source the goods here. The issue is if/when something needs replacing down the road, it's a lot more challenging to find replacement parts without sourcing them from Europe. That said, the 6sp. stuff is built heavier / stronger than the 5sp., so it holds up well.
Thus far, no issues that I've heard of on any of the 6sp. swaps I've done - apart from an input shaft seal. (even though I've sold the cars, I still hear from the new owners intermittently).

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And the clutch basically a vr6 dmf unit?
Haha - so one might think. After figuring I could save a few (hundred) $$ by buying a North American 02M clutch/flywheel, I wrestled that transmission in, got it all buttoned up, started it up, drove around the block...all good! Then I gave it some serious oomph and watched the tach go up to 3500rpm while my speed barely moved.

Took it all apart again (oh, the joy 🙃), and took a *much* closer look and discovered that the fingers of the 02M pressure plate from the VR6 stood maybe 1.5mm shorter than the used Euro one that had been shipped with the 6sp. swap kit.

You live. You learn. 🤦‍♂️

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
On the other hand, I’ve had to order replacement axles and joints for the 02M from ryanp only to have them on my door step within 3 days.
On my first swap I used a gasser 02M clutch sourced locally and while it worked, it just didn’t feel right. Ended up having ryanp send me the real deal Sachs PD150 clutch kit for the 02M diesel application.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I'd recommend the 02J (5spd). Simpler swap and more common here, having had both, I prefer the older tranny.
Get a taller 5th for your highway cruising, I'm a fan of the .717 ratio. At 80 I'm pushing 2800rpm, car loves it.
If you get into any kind of modding you'll want to go to a Single Mass Flywheel for the clutch, this will play hell
with the cast steel synchros in the 02M. The 02J has brass synchros that don't fatigue and fail.

In my not so humble opinion, don't bother with the 6spd, the 5spd with a relatively cheap and ez addition of the taller 5th is a better, more durable, gearbox. And a LOT cheaper.

My wooden $.05

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi

If you are set on staying with a 5 sp platform there is a kit you can add to it to add a 6th gear ..

Then everything stays the same ... clutch, axles, shifter, starter, etc but you get a 6th gear also ..

There is a thread on here somewhere regarding adding a gear to the 5 speed ...

I though about that but ultimately thought the regular 6 speed would be the better way to go.

Andrew

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Haha - so one might think. After figuring I could save a few (hundred) $$ by buying a North American 02M clutch/flywheel, I wrestled that transmission in, got it all buttoned up, started it up, drove around the block...all good! Then I gave it some serious oomph and watched the tach go up to 3500rpm while my speed barely moved.

Took it all apart again (oh, the joy 🙃), and took a *much* closer look and discovered that the fingers of the 02M pressure plate from the VR6 stood maybe 1.5mm shorter than the used Euro one that had been shipped with the 6sp. swap kit.

You live. You learn. 🤦‍♂️
Good to know.

Thanks!

Andrew

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I have the DRW 6-speed. With almost 240k miles I figured it was time to change the axles anyway. I think they’ll last me another 15-20 years....

At 70 on the highway I run about 1800 rpms. 65 is about the minimum in 6th.

for smoothness, quiet, and easier takeoffs from a start I went with a DMF which is holding up fine to the 1752 with a stage 4/5 tune.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
I also have a DRW (O2M) 6 speed in my 03 JW. I love it compared to my O2J for highway cruising. I also like how smooth it is, as Judson mentioned. Although, I bought the car with it already swapped, so I didn't do any of the work. If I were to do it on my own, I would have done the O2J to keep it simple, cheap and local sourced parts. .

Also Oilhammer points out in another thread the disadvantages of the O2M. (I wish I could find it again) Such as the slave cylinder located inside the housing, and the steel syncros among other things.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I knew I had a comparison photo of the two 02M clutch pressure plates.
North American gasser on the left (with bonus shredded friction disk bits); diesel on the right.

Last edited:

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I got my DRW and the whole kit from Darkside. They do some mods to the tranny to address the weaknesses before shipping....