6 speed shifter adjustment, rebuild parts options?

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 05 b5.5V/6spd w/274k miles (daily). Silver 02 Golf/5spd w/240k miles (fun 1). Mint Tornado Red 01 Golf/5spd w/440k (ALH still perfect!!!).
My 6 speed shifter tends to "catch" going into 2nd. The best way I can describe it is when I'm shifting into 2nd from 1st or 3rd, when the lever gets to neutral, it moves a little to the left towards the reverse position and gets hung up. It won't continue down into 2nd unless I physically slide it over to the right a little, and then down into 2nd. I'm not sure if it is an adjustment issue, or a worn parts issue. I did a quick inspection of the pivot and linkage components and they don't seem terrible.

2 things:

Is there a really good resource for adjusting the shifter and linkage?

For a rebuild, where are you sourcing your parts? It looks like the pivot ball joint has been discontinued :-( Where are you getting replacements?

Anybody using the aftermarket shifters like 034 Motor Sports, or JHM? They are spendy, are they worth it?

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 05 b5.5V/6spd w/274k miles (daily). Silver 02 Golf/5spd w/240k miles (fun 1). Mint Tornado Red 01 Golf/5spd w/440k (ALH still perfect!!!).
Found a decent video from JHM describing the adjustment procedure here:
. It is outlining the "hang up" I'm experiencing.

Anyone have a source for the pivot ball? ECS says they won't have pivot balls in stock until some time in May, everyone else says it is a discontinued part (which makes me wonder if ECS will get them).

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Worked on the shifter today. It was an adjustment issue, with a bit of worn parts thrown in for good measure. The procedure in the video improved it dramatically. Shifts are much better, however the ball is pretty worn and there still is slop in the shifting. Still on the hunt for a replacement ball since VAG lists it as discontinued......

Frans

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Golf MK2 TDI
We have these bushings sets availalbe aftermarket. Send us PM if interested:)